It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mining project blocked after the discovery of troglobites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
A £5bn mining project in Western Australia was blocked after the discovery of 5 new species of troglobites.

Plans by Robe River, a subsidiary of the mining giant Rio Tinto, to develop the iron ore mine near Pannawonica, in the north-western region of Pilbara, were rejected by the Environmental Protection Authority after the company unearthed at least five new species of the cave-dwelling creatures.
The tiny animals, which are just a few millimetres long, belong to a group called troglobites that have evolved to live in absolute darkness. Many do not develop eyes, but instead use their front legs as feelers.

Source

Let's hope those tiny creatures can keep their habitat, I think it's time we stop destroing unique creatures just to keep our way of living.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
LOL, are they 'tards? I thought Australians drank Fosters, fougth kangaroos and did not give in to troglobites. Officially, Australia is now off my list of places to visit.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
More responsibility?

Hi,

Maybe government and people in general are taking more responsibility about nature, animals and flora.

Nice find ArMaP! And thank you for sharing.

brotherthebig.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
YIKES!!Ugly lil critters,arent they?Yet they..like all nature was put here for a reason.Its at our peril to disrupt the balance,imho.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wow, troglobites!

Sounds like a name for a prehistoric creature.

The source said there were 5 different species, and that they evolved. I wonder what they evolved from. Did they exist previously and they had eyes, or did they evolve from a bacteria of something along those lines?

I previously had thought that without light most species would not be able to reproduce. I wonder who found them, do they look for endangered species or new species before they embark on a major mining project?

This is good that they saved the Trogs!!!

new topics

top topics

join