It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House Silent on British Hostage Crisis - Why?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Why would the US want the world to know?
Of it's secret attack with brittain that is. -Then of course they would never actually regard it as a secret attack, But rather a reconnassaince mission that was unfortunately riddled with attempts of attack at which point deadly force was then needed to protect the prisoners. This is all speculation though, please note that: so I am not questioned with assumptions of information disclosure.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
it all does seem just a little too convenient to be coincidence doesnt it

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
There is a serious side to this but with all the stick the US has been getting over the Iran issue its always nice to have a little diversion is it not.

What better for the UK to show the World that we are doing it the Democratic way whilst all the time using this as a pretext to attack Iran. Seriously it really is like good cop bad cop, the US being the badies of course.

Everyone has been expecting for the US/Israel to start the ball rolling on Iran but its always better if you have a patsie to pull out of the bag, to claim outrage and shock when Iran does the wrong thing, that way the UK gets the blame and not them.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think you got something going there MagicMushroom. I didn't think about it that way. Brilliant!

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The more the USA talk publicly about the matter, the more people start pre-opposing the coming war.

As long as Britain keeps the 'diplomatic way' image going, the US can talk about it behind closed doors until a war actually does start. Then they will let it all out.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
if we do take action against iran i have a feeling its going to be like when clinton ordered action against somalia we take out there infrastructure with airstrikes to let them know what we are capable of

CX

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Breaking news on Sky at the moment, in the last few seconds President Bush has commented on the Iran/British sailor crisis, saying that what they did was "inexcuseable" and that the US supported the UK's efforts to get the sailors back.

Oh well, so much for keeping quiet on the matter. I wonder how this will be taken by the Iranian's now?

CX.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
bush on cnn just called the act inexcusable and said they needed to return the prisoners is there something to it? or is he just smiling for the cameras?

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
hmmm...

maybe the US has been asked to say something? who know's

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
hmmm...

maybe the US has been asked to say something? who know's

I am just guessing infinite but I suspect that came out of his weekly radio address. He normally makes personal comments at that time on world events and I expect that but what the house did was wrong.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
no he was on a live news conference with the president of brazil

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here's the Bush story FYI

President Bush Calls for Iran to Release Captured British Soldiers

CAMP DAVID, Maryland — President George W. Bush on Saturday called for the release of 15 British sailors and marines being held by Iran, calling their capture by Tehran "inexcusable behavior."

"Iran must give back the hostages," Bush said. "They're innocent, they did nothing wrong, and they were summarily plucked out of waters."

The comments at a news conference with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva were the first from Bush on the capture, as Washington has taken a low-key approach so far out of concern that more robust intervention might aggravate the situation and shake international resolve on Iran's nuclear program.

The sign at the Capitol says Gone Fishin'

[edit on 2007/3/31 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
no he was on a live news conference with the president of brazil

Sounds similar he also or any other leader will normally speak out on current issues at those conferences, but it is not the same as a whole body like the house or senate speaking out as once.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
yeah a little off topic but honestly bush was talking about peanut storage on his radio address oh it was a grand speech anyways do you think that the house would even consider allowing action in iran with all the problems were having in iraq? i dont think so but what do you guys think?

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well, it seems that the Iranians are in the hostage business. Earlier in the month there was an incident in Iraq at the Iran/Iraq border but clearly on Iraqi soil.

Iranian Incursion

Now, if true, it would seem that borders don't really mean anything to the Iranians at the moment. It would seem they want hostages.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The reason is that most Congressmen are afraid of being too hard on Iran. There were some that had harsh words for Iraq, and it came back to bite them. i.e. Mrs. Bill Clinton.

That and Congress couldn't wait to take their 2 week Easter vacation.

BTW has Congress yet to work a 5-day work week, as promised by the Dem leadership?

What I am disappointed with is Iran's blatent disregard for the Geneva Convention. These prisoners are being paraded around on TV, and the woman was forced to wear a rag on her head. Both violations of the Geneva Convention. (Oh wait...sorry...only the U.S. has to follow the Geneva Convention.)

I am also disappointed in Tony Blairs lack of a forceful response. Hopefully it will come soon.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
irans going to release the woman but i dont see what good thatll do the harms already been done i think britain shouldve simply move there own gunboats in and stopped the iranians from taking those people but they didnt

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I am also disappointed in Tony Blairs lack of a forceful response. Hopefully it will come soon.

As of yet no, and im dissapoined also, he's thinin of those servicemen/womens lifes I suppose, (omg shock Blair is actually tinkin of someoneelses lives.) Lets just get those guys n gals home first and talk about whats gonna happen aftr it...

irans going to release the woman but i dont see what good thatll do the harms already been done i think britain shouldve simply move there own gunboats in and stopped the iranians from taking those people but they didnt

where did you her they were gonna release her? As far as I know they changedtheir minds...

Yanno What I think they are doing! Promising our servicemen/women that they will be released, if they co-operate, then when our gov (uk) slaps it down, they refuse to let them go.... to me that is a kind of torture, thinking your gonna be freed for them to come an tell you, that you wont be going anywhere.....

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

What I am disappointed with is Iran's blatent disregard for the Geneva Convention. These prisoners are being paraded around on TV, and the woman was forced to wear a rag on her head. Both violations of the Geneva Convention. (Oh wait...sorry...only the U.S. has to follow the Geneva Convention.)

The very same concerns have come to my mind and earlier today I read a British Article that tried to answer the question regarding their status as POWs and they claim it is not an easy question to answer since no state of war exists between the UK and Iran.

Legal issues over captured crew

I would tend to agree with you since they were in uniform they should be afforded the rights under the Geneva Convention.

So it would seem you are correct the Geneva Convention only applies when the US is involved

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
thats what theyve been saying on the news but it wouldnt be the first or the last time theyve blatantly lied to us

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join