It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super + Volcano - To Be Stopped

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky

You seem to have a vested interest in wanting destruction.
Your points are trivial engineering issues.

You seem to be confused by molton lava.You should watch some documentaries on lava.

I never laughed so much when you said lava cools down very quickly and would block the bore hole.

You also think a 2 mile thick crust is gonna burst like a rubber balloon if you pierce it. You are ignorant.

You might want to read the thread and re-read my post before you continue to make yourself look ignorant. I never said anything about lava cooling down quickly, I said "eventually", big difference.

I also never said anything about the crust bursting like a balloon. I only made the point there there is no way to control the outflow. The stuff is very hot and under high pressure, it cannot be controled by "trivial engineering". A cork's not gonna get the job done.

You're just like the original poster, you paint with a broad brush, assuming someone else will figure out the details. If everyone did that nothing would work correctly. It's a flawed plan, it can't be done, deal with it.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadboy

I also never said anything about the crust bursting like a balloon. I only made the point there there is no way to control the outflow. The stuff is very hot and under high pressure, it cannot be controled by

They said the same thing about fission...

and the SATURN 5 rocket...

and making steel....

your defeatist attitude is disturbing...

are you there incarnation of a luddite by any chance?

we already control liquids and gases under high pressure...

you seem to be very ignorant of EXISTING TECHNOLOGY...

of course lava can be controlled.

we can handle molton tungsten at twice the temperature and you claim we cant handle lava at half the temperature...

The icelanders controlled lava and directed it out many miles to sea simply by channelling by using water.

they have over 14 geothermal power stations.

over 50 in the in the usa.

and there you are claiming it cant be done...

i dare say you said the same thing about the first wheel.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006
I don't think you understand how a volcanic eruption works... Its not the underground pressure alone that causes the eruption, but rather it is mixing O2 with the gasses and pressures of the magma chamber. What you suggest, drilling to relieve the pressure would in fact Be The Cause of the SuperEruption that you are trying to avoid!!!

In this part i partly do agree with you, yes drilling a supervolcano is a very bad idea, and would only make it explode.

There is no way to stop the eruption, HOWEVER, It is my belief that a Super Volcanic Eruption is Neccessary to stop the effects of Global Warming. Volcanos release 1,000's of Tonns of Ash into the Atmasphere which block harmful solar radiation from reaching the earth...

This i don't agree with at all. There is no need for any supervolcano to erupt...

In Conclusion, There is nothing that we can do to stop it...but its really not such a bad things, its just a part of the natural cycle and its happened many times before...If you live in the Blast Area then You Need To Move Now! David Korresh said this and he was killed because it would have destroyed local economies and property values for the entire blast area.

Sorry but Koresh was a crazy, he was deranged, and a pervert... If you see him as an idol/father figure or whatever you do need some psychiatric help and soon.

Its a Good Thing that I live East of the Mississippi River... Oh and by the way, When Yellowstone Erupts it will cause MASSIVE EarthQuakes in California and the St. Louis!!!

"The Pheonix will rise from the Ashes"... in case you didn't know The Pheonix is America and the Ashes are the results of Yellowstones Eruption.

Now You Know Why America isn't Mentioned in the Bible...

No matter where you are in the U.S. if there is a supervolcano eruption at Yellowstone noone in the United States will survive, if the explosion doesn't get you, then the ash will, if the ash doesn't get you the cold temperatures will get you, and most people around the world would suffer the same fate.

As for the "Pheonix" statement.... anyways...

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
The icelanders controlled lava and directed it out many miles to sea simply by channelling by using water.

and there you are claiming it cant be done...

i dare say you said the same thing about the first wheel.

esecallum... You seem not to have any idea of what you are talking about, there is no way anyone can "control" a supervolcano. Your suggestion would only make it explode.

As to your claim that people who are more cautious than you are defeatists, and we wouldn't be where we are now with such people...sorry to tell you that every visionary knew what he/she was doing... and you obviously are not a "visionary".

Visionaries were educated, they understood the science behind their inventions and discoveries. It is true that some discoveries were made just by luck, but at least the "visionaries" understood the sciences of the time.

Mindlessly making claims that you can control a supervolcano by drilling into it, are just the claims of a crazy, suicidal person, or someone who thinks to know what he/she is saying, yet has no real idea what he/she is talking about.

[edit on 20-5-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   

your defeatist attitude is disturbing...

are you there incarnation of a luddite by any chance?

No, but I can see that you are the incarnation of an armchair scientist. You take great delight in throwing out a few ideas and backing them up with nothing. In your world, anyone who disagrees with your dangerous and arguably impossible plan is less educated and knows nothing. In the real world, you're just plain wrong. Sorry about that, try again.

[edit on 5/21/2007 by yadboy]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Which has what to do with your plans or my comments? You really seem to like bringing this point up, even though it has no bearing on this discussion at hand.

And how many of the geothermal power stations are tapping into the caldera of a super volcano? None, you say? Hmm, must be a bad idea to do that.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

we can handle molton tungsten at twice the temperature and you claim we cant handle lava at half the temperature...

The problem's not the temperature, it's the temperature and pressure together. You can't treat the problems separately, you have to deal with them both at once. But you like to gloss over that point, doesn't fit into your plan very well does it?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

Instead of putting that thread off topic, why don't you discuss it here?

Although I doubt you'll acknowledge that me, Byrd and others could be right, but hey, thats your opinion.

So, what sources do you have, and what detailed scientific evidence do you have to support your theory?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Lance the boil? Wow. Ok if you are in a hurry to kill us all then go ahead and lance it. Have you ever had a boil lanced? It releases the contents of the boil to the outside world. Thats ok when you are talking about something like a pimple or swollen tonsils where all you will release is goo. You are talking about compromising an already strained chamber filled with explosive gases and magma. You would need a pipe of significant size to draw out the magma. And a pipe of size will give enough room for the magma to escape with extreme prejudice.

Poke a balloon with a pin one time to "relieve pressure" and see what happens.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

This site provides a solution to the drilling to depth problem...
www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...
at least to the depth that the wall rock will remain solidified. Cooling, and maintaining such a wall rock temperature , is another problem...

At the temperature for the given material to become "plastic" (the temp at which glass can be formed into a vase by a glass-blower, for example), the hole behind the machine would deform under the pressure, and collapse. This would cause a loss/ disruption of communication with a robotic device... and quite possibly it could go wild and resurface in your BACKYARD!!!
puz:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Karilla

Well it seems the Ideas has been vindicated by NASA who are looking into it.One in the eye for skeptics.

www.dailystar.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: championoftruth

Well it seems the Ideas has been vindicated by NASA who are looking into it.One in the eye for skeptics.

www.dailystar.co.uk...

if the star actually get a story right i'd be more worried, it's been pointed out a few times but a bucket rather than a pinch of salt is needed in dealing with their stories.
they ran with the eclipse being an end of world scenario weeks back lets not forget.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
...It must be done right away

I ain't lyin......let a man who has been sticking things in holes for years at it...
edit on 24-8-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: championoftruth

www.dailystar.co.uk...

It's the Star. I'm amazed that they used a story that wasn't covered in Kardashians. Or young ladies without their shirts on.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pyrytyes

I think your risk analysis is faulty. It's certain that if we leave Yellowstone alone it will eventually erupt in an explosion that will kill much of the US outright and cause a global climate catastrophe of such scale that it poses a serious existential threat. When that will happen is unknown. We do know that the caldera floor has risen nearly 60 cm in the past 15 years, an order of magnitude more than it did in the preceding 80 years, and the temperature of Yellowstone lake has risen by about 7C. Whether this is just part of a regular cycle or something that presages an eruption we don't know.

Clearly, a lot more study is needed to get enough information to allow us to predict whether an eruption is 100K years away, or imminent. It's worth noting that even very small eruptions are tremendously powerful. One that happened 14K years ago created a 5 km-wide crater. But it makes sense to create plans for preventing an eruption now, in case study does find that an eruption is imminent. The odds are that it is not, but given the extreme damage that would be done by a super eruption, not planning to prevent it would be foolhardy in the extreme.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join