It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super + Volcano - To Be Stopped

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
my capslock key is broken due to coffee./

defusing volcanoes.

the yellowstone volcano is the greatest threat america faces.it poses more real threat than from any number of raghead terrorists.

geological surveys in the last few years have shown an increasing rate of ground tilt due to the massive pressure caused by the very hot lava and superheated gases.if nothing is done the eruption is inevitable with the resulting grave consequences exceeding that of a nuclear conflict.

the technology to stop volcanos is very simple and before i tell you i assert exclusive owenership of this particular idea to stop volcanos exploding.

The primary measures to be taken to delay or stop the explosion would be to use an analogy and literally "lance the boil" to relieve the pressure.

By using standard oil drilling techniques to insert pipelines to relieve the pressure or releasing the superheated lava the eruption can be delayed or stopped depending on much of either is released and the rate at which it is released.

there are other methods as well but the above is the simplest and most direct.

to allow significant delay or stopping of the eruption i calculate that between 30 to 100 drill holes would be required at various equidistant points around the volcano.

the resulting high pressure molton lave would the be transported using using pipelines and would be used to fll underground cavities or fill in the troughs between hill, hummocks, or mountains.

also very importantly the hot lava flow can be used as a vast source of energy for steam turbine power stations.

steam turbine power stations are relatively easy to construct and again upto 30 to 100 would be set up along each pipeline thus solving america energy needs for millenia.

the molton lava can also be used as a construction material by ,mass producing houses using molds into which the molton lava would be poured.

these houses would be very strong and earthquake proof as no bricks and morter would be used and would be essentially be a single construction and could be exported to japan.

or california.

you see i have solved 3 of the worlds problems in a few paragraphs.

no need for any fancy expensive advanced technology.

Again i assert exclusive owenership of these ideas.

now lets start organising a campaign to notify Bush/Blair as these people are totally unaware and obsessed with A-Rabs who are totally insignificant compared to the danger posed by this super volcano.

[edit on 30-3-2007 by esecallum]

Mod Edit: All Caps Title – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30/3/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
...I would not want to be the one who has to "lance the boil" on that one. All that pressure. That is going to be one hell of a steam burn
OUCH....

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
you see i have solved 3 of the worlds problems in a few paragraphs.

no need for any fancy expensive advanced technology.

Again i assert exclusive owenership of these ideas.

now lets start organising a campaign to notify Bush/Blair as these people are totally unaware and obsessed with A-Rabs who are totally insignificant compared to the danger posed by this super volcano.

You can assert all you want, but that won't beat the fine print.

Mod Note: Creative Commons Deed/Copyright – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I don't think you understand how a volcanic eruption works... Its not the underground pressure alone that causes the eruption, but rather it is mixing O2 with the gasses and pressures of the magma chamber. What you suggest, drilling to relieve the pressure would in fact Be The Cause of the SuperEruption that you are trying to avoid!!!

There is no way to stop the eruption, HOWEVER, It is my belief that a Super Volcanic Eruption is Neccessary to stop the effects of Global Warming. Volcanos release 1,000's of Tonns of Ash into the Atmasphere which block harmful solar radiation from reaching the earth...

If and When Yellowstone goes Boom it will be followed by several months of worldwide Darkness, causing global temperatures to drop by several degrees and throw the world back into Little Ice Age.

Its The Earths Way of protecting itself from the Sun...And I expect the Yellowstone Super Volcano to ERUPT during SOLAR MAX in the Year 2012!

But thats not the Worse Part! The Worse Part is that if you breath this volcanic Ash it will mix with the water in your lungs and turn your insides into Concrete! And this Ash Cloud will cover an area from California to The Mississippi River.... But the Worser Part, is that is where most of the food in the whole world is produced. Famine will destoy whats left of America. & I didn't even mention the Acid Rain or the roof/structural collapses under the weight of the ash when mixed with rain water because I don't want to scare you!

During the Last known Supervolcanic Eruption SUMATRA about 50,000 years ago or so, almost caused the extinction of the Human Race with only 50 - 500 Breeding Females in the Whole World...As a result of the Ice Age and Crop Failures and general breakdown of the food chain that followed.

In Conclusion, There is nothing that we can do to stop it...but its really not such a bad things, its just a part of the natural cycle and its happened many times before...If you live in the Blast Area then You Need To Move Now! David Korresh said this and he was killed because it would have destroyed local economies and property values for the entire blast area.

Its a Good Thing that I live East of the Mississippi River... Oh and by the way, When Yellowstone Erupts it will cause MASSIVE EarthQuakes in California and the St. Louis!!!

"The Pheonix will rise from the Ashes"... in case you didn't know The Pheonix is America and the Ashes are the results of Yellowstones Eruption.

Now You Know Why America isn't Mentioned in the Bible...

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

the resulting high pressure molton lave would the be transported using using pipelines and would be used to fll underground cavities or fill in the troughs between hill, hummocks, or mountains.

What exactly do you propose to build these pipes out of?

the technology to stop volcanos is very simple and before i tell you i assert exclusive owenership of this particular idea to stop volcanos exploding

Im pretty sure that your going to need to patent some new type of technology to move molten rock.

And the same goes for the drill that starts it.

The theory is great, but not new. Any huge source of heat could be used for power. Just look at solar. Its obvious that there is a lot of heat under us, but the stuff above us is easier and safer to use. But good luck

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chronic_Blaze

What exactly do you propose to build these pipes out of?

Im pretty sure that your going to need to patent some new type of technology to move molten rock.

And the same goes for the drill that starts it.

The theory is great, but not new. Any huge source of heat could be used for power. Just look at solar. Its obvious that there is a lot of heat under us, but the stuff above us is easier and safer to use. But good luck

The technology exists already....

The pipes are made of steel lined with shuttle heat tiles to stop melting...

Lancing the boil is the best solution...

the volcano is just like a pressure chamber with the pressure increasing which will cause it to explode....UNLESS WE STOP IT....

remember if you love america and want to save it then you need to lance this boil...

already SOME pressure is being relieved through natural rock poroisty and geysers and fissures BUT it is not enough which is why 200 pipeline holes need to be drilled to release the pressure under control...

yes yes solar power is onderful but it is totally useless as its VERY DIFFUSE...spread over a very large area...MAGMA is a very concentrated heat source and easier to use ...very low cost....

see i have answered every question...

admin edit[/]: Removed childish, churlish remarks directed at a fellow member. We don't do that here.

[edit on 4-19-2007 by Springer]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   

the volcano is just like a pressure chamber with the pressure increasing which will cause it to explode....UNLESS WE STOP IT....

So drilling down to relieve the pressure won't trigger an eruption? How ever do you work that out? trying to relieve it will relieve the pressure, by causing an eruption
. There is no way to prevent an eruption of Yellowstone, but I don't think it's particularly likely, or the YVO would have put something about it on their Status page. While uplift seems to be increasing, it does that all the time, hardly any of the time with an eruption.

Not to mention that merely drilling down would likely lead to new cracks opening up and possibly causing an eruption. Also an eruption there will not necessarily be a Super Eruption, it could just as easily be a flood basalt sort of thing like a Hawaiian eruption.

oh and I find this thread to be a case of Deja vu with the going against common scientific principles

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I watched a show on this very subject and they said that your idea was not possible..The first reason they gave was that there is no drill that can drill that deep and the second reason they gave was you would need millions of holes...I believe the show was on National Geographic Channel..I don't have any links but I'm sure it would be easy to find..

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by gotanybob
I watched a show on this very subject and they said that your idea was not possible..The first reason they gave was that there is no drill that can drill that deep and the second reason.....

Your info is 20 years out of date.

The entire point of drilling is to stabilize the pressure.

200 would be more than enough.

As the hot magma/gas was bled of the the pressure increase would stabilise and eventually start to drop.

Its simple physics.Do you know anything about steam trains or boilers?

they have a device called a valve or governer which opens to release the pressure if it exceeds a certain value.
w

Your assertion that they cant drill deep is absured..how do you think they get oil out?

Also hot rock is soft rock making it even easier to drill!

In any case the energy benefits have been totally ignored.

and when you to talk OLD fuddy duddy scientists they always say it's impossible.

old people automatically block new ideas.

they have very limited imagination.

THEY ARE ALSO JEALOUS of the young upstart who suggests something they have not thought of....

scientists are very jelous of each other and are engaged in the credit rat race.

THEY FREQUENTLY INDULGE IN SMEAR CAMPAIGNS AGAINST THEIR RIVALS.

check your science history.

remember clark's 3 laws?

progress is made by people who dared to think and implement unconventional ideas.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by beckybecky]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky
Its simple physics.Do you know anything about steam trains or boilers?

they have a device called a valve or governer which opens to release the pressure if it exceeds a certain value.
Which is already there before you pressurise it, whereas opening up something pressurised generally causes it to come out. How else do you suppose eruptions work?

and when you to talk OLD fuddy duddy scientists they always say it's impossible.
old people automatically block new ideas.
they have very limited imagination.
No, they know what is impossible, or very unlikely to work, and when 200 million lives hang in the balance, you tread very carefully.

THEY FREQUENTLY INDULGE IN SMEAR CAMPAIGNS AGAINST THEIR RIVALS.
Thats what politicians do I thought.

BTW, using all caps is against the T&C. Also you already have a warn, do you want another?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I remember seeing this volcano on "Countdown to Doomsday" on Sci-Fi with Matt Lauer.

www.scifi.com...

I think they said that yellowstone is 40,000 years overdue according to historical records.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Nice idea..buuuut:

How do you prosose to keep the lava hot enough to be pumped as a fluid throughout a pipeline without it cooling and causing a blockage?

What materials would you use, given that lava will be the equivalent in weight/density of concrete at several hundred degrees C and at that temperature steel loses much of its structural integrity? (incidentally the ceramic-composite tiles of the shuttle you propose for the pipe-lining are checked and replaced after every re-entry flight and are rather fragile)

The idea of poured lava castings for construction is a good one...the Romans devised something similar using a mix of volcanic ash and lime called Pozzolana and built structures so durable that they still stand today

Keep the ideas coming...it took Edison hundreds of attempts of how-not-to invent a light-bulb before he the idea to finally work

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Do I notice a pattern here?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Your info is 20 years out of date.

The show was shown towards the end of 2006 and it had all current info about Yellowstone..

Your assertion that they cant drill deep is absured..how do you think they get oil out?

LOL!! I don't remember the exact distance but the magma it a lot deeper the any oilfield..They talk about about this very issue..This show was based on the Yellowstone super volcano and was filmed in the past year so your assertion that is out dated info couldn't be farther from the truth..

[edit on 4/19/2007 by gotanybob]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Nice idea..buuuut:

How do you prosose to keep the lava hot enough to be pumped as a fluid throughout a pipeline without it cooling and causing a blockage?

:

LAVA STORES A LOT OF HEAT AND COOLS VERY SLOWLY....

and we dont even need steel pipes at all....just use lava channels.

The icelanders when a volcano erupted simply made channels by cooling the edges with water and DIRECTED the lave flow into the sea many miles away...simple

we are only transporting it a short distance where it will used to drive steam turbines and then used to make large size bricks/building blocks and moulded houses etc...

scientists and engineers have now drilled right down to the mantle !

i dont understand why you all against the idea.

maybe you are jelous or you did not think of it first.i dont care about the credit for the idea.

or its just too big and bold idea for you and you all want us to be victims of random natural disasters as some kind of penance for a stinking lousy world.

or maybe you think that a destroyed world starting over will be better.

no it wont.

and it will have less to start of with in resources.

and there will an even higher level of savagery and you lot will not be exempt....

a lot of people crave going back to savage lawless times without law and order and this blinds them to the fact that they will suffer and die a horrible death too.This is what watching too much hollywood does to you.

This is called the G.O.D syndrome due to selective memory.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   

maybe you are jelous or you did not think of it first.

Not the case at all, I and other posters were questioning your idea to get a better angle on your concept...being challenged on your ideas and inventions is all part of the critical-thinking and analysis process of any invention...just ask the likes of Trevor Bayliss or James Dyson, hence why I ended my post with this comment to encourage wider/deeper thinking on how your proposal could work...

Keep the ideas coming...it took Edison hundreds of attempts of how-not-to invent a light-bulb before he the idea to finally work

If you feel that your idea has been rubbished and pulled to bits at the first 'crit', take what's been said on-board and make adjustments and fine-tune and present them for the next round

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
www.pers.com...

I found another link w/ more info..
hypertextbook.com...

The deepest drill into the earth is on the Kola Peninsula in Arctic Russia. It has penetrated just 7.5 miles (12 km) into the crust.

If I remember correctly they would need to drill something like 20 or 30 miles under Yellowstone to do what you are suggesting..

Now maybe one day in the future your theory might be possible...But considering it took like 24 years to drill 7.5 miles its just not possible today..

[edit on 4/20/2007 by gotanybob]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   

LAVA STORES A LOT OF HEAT AND COOLS VERY SLOWLY....

Yes it does, but depending on the type it is either fluid or viscous, and not useful for flowing down a pipe or a channel.

The icelanders when a volcano erupted simply made channels by cooling the edges with water and DIRECTED the lave flow into the sea many miles away...simple

Yes, but they were dealing with a relatively small volcano, as opposed to a potential Ultra Plinian eruption, which can destroy a huge amount of land.

scientists and engineers have now drilled right down to the mantle !

I don't know if thats true or not, but even if it is, the mantle isn't completely molten, or even guaranteed to be eruptive magma.

maybe you are jelous or you did not think of it first.i dont care about the credit for the idea.

Or maybe, we feel that as we can't even prevent a Kilauea type eruption, we shouldn't play around with potentially the largest eruption for a few million years (potentially, the reservoir is at least 10 times larger then the first eruption we know of, 2.2million years ago)

or its just too big and bold idea for you and you all want us to be victims of random natural disasters as some kind of penance for a stinking lousy world.

If it was evident that Yellowstone was entering an eruptive phase, I think they wouldn't just sit there and let people die.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

the yellowstone volcano is the greatest threat america faces.it poses more real threat than from any number of raghead terrorists.

It's amazing to me how one racist remark like this can make me completely uninterested in everything else you have to say.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Pedants corner input: Beckybecky said: Your info is 20 years out of date.

The Yellowstone caldera was not known about 20 years ago.

I personally doubt that the pressure in Yellowstone's magma chamber (enough to raise the incredible mass of earth above it by a metre in a decade or so) could be coped with by any oil drilling gear. Besides the magma chamber is far deeper than any currently exploited oil fields, even counting the sea depth in the gulf.

The cycle seems to be approximately 600,000 years, and the last eruption was 650,000 years ago. So you are talking about relieving the pressure that has built up over that time, more than enough to have caused the initial caldera-forming eruption and the subsequent ones.

The only solution to Yellowstone is to hope that it takes another 1000 years or so to explode. I doubt America or Europe will exist by then, and it will be SEP.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join