It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restoring default file association in 98

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I installed PhotoSuite 3, it came with a disc I got with my Digital Camera , Anyway, I chose to have it default for JPEG/GIF, and all that. So I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it without that stuff..

I check a JPEG to see what the icon is/what it opens with, and it's that icon that brings up the "Pick what you want to open it with" prompt. I checked IE just because my pictures open in that, which im' fine with.

I've got Tweak UI, repairing file association or whatever doesn't work, for whatever reason. Any way I can get the defaults back? It's annoying

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zodiac
I installed PhotoSuite 3, it came with a disc I got with my Digital Camera , Anyway, I chose to have it default for JPEG/GIF, and all that. So I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it without that stuff..

I check a JPEG to see what the icon is/what it opens with, and it's that icon that brings up the "Pick what you want to open it with" prompt. I checked IE just because my pictures open in that, which im' fine with.

I've got Tweak UI, repairing file association or whatever doesn't work, for whatever reason. Any way I can get the defaults back? It's annoying

Going back completely to default might be possible with some 3rd party software, however like TweakUI the end result may or may not be 100% effective. The best way is just to do it manually. Little more work, but then you know for sure it's done and what exactly has been changed.

1.) Open Explorer
2.) Go to "View" at the top. Then "Folder Options" at the bottom of the list.
3.) You'll get a "Folder Options" window with 3 tabs on it. Go to the last Tab called "File Types".
4.) You'll see a Big list of File Types by their Extentions. Find the ones you want to change in the list. Click on it, then click the button "Edit" and you'll be able to change the program that is used when opening that file type. You can also change the Icon associated with that type of file extention.

Example: Choose JPEG Image in the list.(you'll probably see more than one.)
Down below you'll see the extention type (.jpg, jpeg) and the program is "Opens With".
Choose Edit button.
At the top you'll see a button to "Change Icon".
In the "Actions" window you'll see the different actions that happen by clicking on it. "Open" will be in bold, probably, and it is the default action taken (what happens when you double click it).
Highlight "Open" and click "Edit" and you can point it to any program you'd like.
Choose "Ok" till you get back to the File Type list.

BTW, you can do this for any file type. This gives you control over programs like RealMedia and others that like to steal authority over who opens your files. BUT BE CAREFUL!! YOU CAN MESS UP YOUR SYSTEM AND MAKE IT EASY, HARD OR ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO REPAIR. HOWEVER, IF YOU KEEP IT SIMPLE AND STICK WITH JPG'S AND NON-SYSTEM CRITICAL FILES YOU'LL BE FINE. JUST TAKE IT SLOW AT FIRST.

join