It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark and Dragon Connection

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I never was one to believe in the existence of dragons, but a theory came to me about three months ago. Sharks have been around for millions of years, before dinosaurs. Couldn't some species of ancient shark have evolved onto land? Maybe the dorsal fin (or some other fins) split and evolved into wings? Perhaps some had survived until primitive humans could wipe them out, it would not be the first time a primitive culture wiped out a giant flying predator! The fact that sharks have a cartilage skeleton also supports why fossils have not been found. Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The typical Chinese dragon (the kind in parades) has a jaw that appears shark-like. Also, shark jaws are found inland quite often, supposedly from when a region was flooded in it's past, though. Just thought I'd add that.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Actually, I think some of the dragon "myths" may have emerged from this

Leggy snakes
A fossil ‘snake’, dubbed ‘Haasiophis’, with well-developed hindlimbs has intensified debate between evolutionists who think that snakes evolved from mosasaurs (extinct marine lizards) and those who think snakes evolved from land lizards.

A similar fossil found in 1996, Pachyrhachis, was at that time considered by evolutionists to be a ‘primitive’ ancestral marine snake that never lost its rear legs. However, the well-preserved Haasiophis fossil shows that it could unhinge its jaw to eat prey larger than its head — something that ‘advanced’ snakes (e.g. pythons) can do, but lizards can’t.

So now some evolutionists are surmising that, far from being ancestral, both Haasiophis and Pachyrhachis are ‘advanced snakes that re-evolved legs’, debunking the idea that snakes came from seagoing mosasaurs that flopped onto land.

Instead they propose that the first snakes evolved from burrowing lizards, losing their legs while their bodies grew longer and more slender. Opinion remains divided, however, with the ‘mosasaur ancestor’ advocates pointing out that there is no evidence at all that snakes and lizards are in any way ‘related’.

Science, March 17, 2000, pp. 1939–1941, 2010–2012.
New Scientist, March 25, 2000, p. 12.

Snakes once had legs

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I think that at one time there may have been dragons, but I think that they were basically dinosaurs that didn't get wiped out w/ the rest of them for some reason or another. I have the same basic thought about the Lochness Monster (assuming it exists). Really, there is no proof that absolutely all dinosaurs were wiped out. A scarce few could have made it. That could also be an explanation of some of the other 'monsters' that people report.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Don't be silly, shark fossils are all over the fossil record, if there had been a "land shark" haha, great SNL skit, we would've probably known about it.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Originally posted by Saturn

Really, there is no proof that absolutely all dinosaurs were wiped out.

Birds.

Not all Dino's died, some just evolved.

Lex

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I think that the whole dragon myth was just based upon someone finding dinosaur bones and not beïng able to explain what it was and calling it dragons, large reptile like beast with fangs. And over the years people probably made silly stories about them living among us and beïng some sort of god.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Here's a video of a frill shark. It's super rare, and there was a better video on the air a few months ago, but this one was what I found on a search. In the other video, it was much more antimated. They live at a great depth, and I believe this one died shortly after the clip was made.

www.youtube.com...

And more photos
news.nationalgeographic.com...

I think it bears a striking resemblence to the classic Chinese parade dragons......

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I can't think that there is a major evolutionary pressure on sharks, because they are in the top of the food-chain.. And if so, there would really be no reason for them to venture on land..

And the way they are build, would need a major restruction of their interior, especially so that they could fly (And breath fire (...)).

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
I can't think that there is a major evolutionary pressure on sharks, because they are in the top of the food-chain.. And if so, there would really be no reason for them to venture on land..

And the way they are build, would need a major restruction of their interior, especially so that they could fly (And breath fire (...)).

Yeah, there's the whole "gill slit" thing... and the fact that shark bodies collapse into "goo in a bag" out of the water...

[edit on 31-3-2007 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Precisely. Sharks have never evolved to become surface dwellers because in their current environment they rule the roost. Things only tend to evolve away from something if there is too much competition for food, or space, or optimal breeding conditions.

Birds.

Not all Dino's died, some just evolved.

Lex

yep. Scientists have studied the way emu's move in order to establish how dinosaurs moved. Why? Because the prevalent theory is that birds are their descendants.
If you look at the skeleton of a small dinosaur, and the the skeleton of a chicken or turkey you will find a lot of similarities.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Maybe a species of shark had to move onto land to escape larger ones? As for the major restruction, they had time. Look how far humans have evolved since the first sharks. We were in the water still! I still don't believe in dragons, though. This was just a theory for dragons.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Human evolution is an anomaly. There is no precedent for our sudden (relatively overnight) evolution from the perfect prey to the perfect hunter.

No sharks have come out of the water. The way sharks live, it is rare for larger species to mingle closely with smaller ones, add to that the fact that sharks are generally solitary, there is no reason for them to leave.

It'd be like you living in a house where your every need was catered for. You had warmth, companionship, food whatever... and then you leaving for no reason.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

"Human evolution is an anomaly. There is no precedent for our sudden (relatively overnight) evolution from the perfect prey to the perfect hunter."

Not true. Let's say evolution is correct. According to the orthodox theory of human evolution, humans evolved from arboreal omnivores. Arboreal creatures are usually very good at evading predators and omnivores do hunt other creatures.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
True, but our evolution happened in an extremely short period of time (relatively speaking of course). It is pretty much we woke up one day and were us. We had speech capabilities, advanced thought processes, the ability to formulate strategies and think rationally. No other species has experienced such rapid advancement.

Even if the theories that dinosaurs moved underground and evolved into a human-like culture, they would have been evolving for millions and millions of years longer than us before becoming reptoids (or whatever you call them).

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't know how anyone could prove an assertion that typical human consciousness happened overnight. Though, if it did, Terrence McKenna had some interesting ideas on how it happened with his "stoned ape" theory.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
There is a fossil history over millions of years. There is scientific evidence that Neanderthal Man lived next door to Cro-magnon. Perhaps a group of humans may have been cut off by climate change and evolved seperately in a more suitable habitat may explain why there is the mis-used missing link theory. There is no missing link. Imagine an african tribesmans remains being compared to an average to well off american. They would seem like different peoples, but should we judge who is better off?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I don't know how anyone could prove an assertion that typical human consciousness happened overnight.

If you re-read my posts, you will see I said relatively overnight. Not literally.
And I also agree there is no missing link. We leapt from one state to the other without going through a middle-man (so to speak).

And Idaho, the clone of Duncan was called a Ghola, not gholem.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Sharks are godless souless communist who want to eat your liberty, same with bears,lol. jk.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Of course there were land dwelling sharks. They were highly mutated and interacted with humans on a daily basis. As a child, I interacted with these land dwelling sharks every weekend when they would appear. Haven't you guys heard of these?
Carcharnius Streeticus

top topics

<<   2 >>

join