It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida's New Faith Based Prison

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

You must have done something bad to be locked up with the real dangerous guys, then

Just a few pounds of pot and a REALLY bad attitude coupled with a real violent temper and a habit of kicking the s**t out of rapists and such.That was about 25 years ago and back then the didnt segergate jacks**t. we had one poor kid in for stealing a car who was rapped repeatedly till his colon ruptured and the took him out I dont know what happened to him after that.

Damn. That's sad. Unfortunately, things like this still happen, occasionally. All it takes is pissing off the wrong authority figure. I don't care how bad of a crime it was, unless you really hurt someone intentionally, no one deserves that kind of punishment. Non-violent offenders should not be locked up with people who are obviously going to hurt them. That's just fuctup. You can't imagine how fuctup I'd be now, if I'd been thrown into general population just for discharging a fire extinguisher. Many people leave prisons alot angrier than they were when they went in. You don't learn anything in prison, except how to be a better criminal. It seems like, the smarter you are, the more they want to punish you. "How dare you try to defend yourself in my court room!"
That's the feeling I always got from my experiences. The last time I was charged with a felony because I asked to see evidence and a tox report. Otherwise, it would've been a misdemeanor.

[Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Damn. That's sad. Unfortunately, things like this still happen, occasionally

Whats bad was his parents could have got him off but wanted to "teach him a lesson"

I wonder if he learned it?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
That's one traumatizing lesson.
I'll bet he's a better man now, eh?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Originally Posted by Rant:

"But prisons are corrupt as hell. In Georgia you can be sold off to a private work farm, where the same rights no longer apply. In the State run prison, they try like hell to parole you since you cost the state money... but one you set foot on the Bodie plantation, you best set your mind to working. "

The Georgia system is awful- and very corrupt. If you are a good ol' local boy you can get all the labor you want for your farm, etc.
Lowndes Couny, Valdosta, GA- near Tallahassee at the Florida- Georgia border, I-10 and I-75, if you ever drive through here be very careful....and did you know they even have a Western Union at this jail? I got busted on an unpaid speeding ticket, was pulled over here and arrested, handcuffed, took in, and then I saw the Western Union sign---after making my 1 call I had the money sent and was released (1200$)
There was this little cocky guard there behind the desk- I only wish I could see him again - I would beat the sh*t out of him for the way he talked to me- he did'nt like the fact that I was leaving and not staying.
On another note, I have a good friend that is down in the Florida Prison System on bs charges- and he is a good guy but- he bought a stloen lawn mower from a so-called friend, ran from the cops when he was young,
and then bought something else from the same deal above (lawnmower)- He got 8 Years For THIS- lost everything, and now his mother is dying-
If you have a friend that is down, do him or her a favor- There is an organisation that fights for prisoners rights that I have much respect for, and they are The Human Kindness Foundation out of North Carolina. If you wish, they will help a fallen brother or sister, if anyone wants to know more just let me know.
Our kids cannot pray in school, yet the prisoners can have a "faith based prison"- Man....whats coming next?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
Our kids cannot pray in school, yet the prisoners can have a "faith based prison"- Man....whats coming next?

That's a load of #. Anyone can pray anywhere. They just can't organize religious meetings that disrupt school activities. Besides, silent prayer is supposed to be just as effective. Xians just want to whine because some people get tired of hearing their weak, bible thumping, scripture quoting bull#, and they don't have enough sense to know when it's annoying.(or they just don't care)
Of course, ending up in a totally "faith based prison", they're going to jam this crap in your face constantly, whether you volunteer or not. Talk about hell! It's a new improved hell!

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr

That's a load of #. Anyone can pray anywhere. They just can't organize religious meetings that disrupt school activities. Besides, silent prayer is supposed to be just as effective. Xians just want to whine because some people get tired of hearing their weak, bible thumping, scripture quoting bull#.

Our kids have to pray silently and omit "In God's name we trust" from the pledge of allegiance? Get a grip man- if you are a scholar you would see the obvious conflict here- our convicts can but are children cannot?
How would you know that silent prayer is more effective? I am truly LMAO over this comment....

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
"In God's name we trust" isn't even in the pledge. Who's laughing now?
The pledge has always been brainwashing anyway. Kids don't know what the hell they're being forced to say every morning. Many people from other countries are shocked when I tell them that this was/is standard practice in almost all schools.

Besides, I thought that ruling had already been shot down. If they're going to remove "one nation under god" from the pledge, they need to remove "In God we trust" from our money too.

To recite the Pledge is not to describe the United States; instead, it is to swear allegiance to the values for which the flag stands: unity, indivisibility, liberty, justice, and -- since 1954 -- monotheism.
The text of the official Pledge, codified in federal law, impermissibly takes a position with respect to the purely religious question of the existence and identity of God. A profession that we are a nation 'under God' is identical, for Establishment Clause purposes, to a profession that we are a nation 'under Jesus,' a nation 'under Vishnu,' a nation 'under Zeus,' or a nation 'under no god,' because none of these professions can be neutral with respect to religion."

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Separation of Chuch and State? Jeb Bush is looking for alternatives, is this it? Florida recently announced their first faith based system, and it irks me because our kids cannot say "In God We Trust" or pray in school, yet the convicts can?

Check This Out

I just have one thing to say about this...they better not let those freaks out any sooner than they let standard inmates out. I can see this as a big draw for those trying to show they've turned themselves around whether or not they believe a word of it.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   

"In God's name we trust" isn't even in the pledge. Who's laughing now?
The pledge has always been brainwashing anyway. Kids don't know what the hell they're being forced to say every morning. Many people from other countries are shocked when I tell them that this was/is standard practice in almost all schools.

Besides, I thought that ruling had already been shot down. If they're going to remove "one nation under god" from the pledge, they need to remove "In God we trust" from our money too.

To recite the Pledge is not to describe the United States; instead, it is to swear allegiance to the values for which the flag stands: unity, indivisibility, liberty, justice, and -- since 1954 -- monotheism.
The text of the official Pledge, codified in federal law, impermissibly takes a position with respect to the purely religious question of the existence and identity of God. A profession that we are a nation 'under God' is identical, for Establishment Clause purposes, to a profession that we are a nation 'under Jesus,' a nation 'under Vishnu,' a nation 'under Zeus,' or a nation 'under no god,' because none of these professions can be neutral with respect to religion."

Well, I can still laugh but yeah, I admit my mix-up between the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance, anyhow, neither is permitted in many schools so I guess I could say it's the same regardless-

It just bothers me that convicts have the liberty to worship as they please and our children do not- that is my point-

Read the last statement in the article- it intrigued me-

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 02:42 AM
link   
That has nothing to do with denying voluntary worship. It has everything to do with protecting the secular from arrogant bastards who don't have any respect for anyone around them. You can use your own time to worship. If we're both in the same classroom, it's not your time, it's OUR time. Why should I let you abuse MY time? And for something I don't even believe in? Like you don't have enough time in the day to pray? School is for learning. Spend more time learning, and less time praying, and you might become educated. You don't gain knowledge by praying.

[Edited on 12-29-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 06:03 AM
link   

That has nothing to do with denying voluntary worship. It has everything to do with protecting the secular from arrogant bastards who don't have any respect for anyone around them. You can use your own time to worship. If we're both in the same classroom, it's not your time, it's OUR time. Why should I let you abuse MY time? And for something I don't even believe in? Like you don't have enough time in the day to pray? School is for learning. Spend more time learning, and less time praying, and you might become educated. You don't gain knowledge by praying.

Seems to me as if the youth of yesteryears went much further in education, values, less violence, etc. Why?
Because religous values and morals were in place, and included in day to day activitys.
I'm not a preacher nor do I condemn people for their thoughts and decisions and religous beliefs- but putting the legalities and law aside, allowing this for convicts could have positive results, granted, should'nt our kids be able to do the same? "Arrogant Bastards"? Gimme a break...Yes, school is for learning. "You don't gain knowledge by praying"? Well, that is a very strong statement, and off base as well. That's like me saying, and I am not directing this at your specific lack of beliefs,well, I am gonna leave that one alone. It is not my intent to insult you, and I will not stoop to that level.
Really, I do appreciate your comments and answer from you regarding my question. Thank you for that. And I am clear on voluntary worship issue, from your opinion. Which is all I wanted.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Seems to me as if the youth of yesteryears went much further in education, values, less violence, etc. Why?
Because religous values and morals were in place, and included in day to day activitys.
I'm not a preacher nor do I condemn people for their thoughts and decisions and religous beliefs- but putting the legalities and law aside, allowing this for convicts could have positive results, granted, should'nt our kids be able to do the same? "Arrogant Bastards"? Gimme a break...Yes, school is for learning. "You don't gain knowledge by praying"? Well, that is a very strong statement, and off base as well. That's like me saying, and I am not directing this at your specific lack of beliefs,well, I am gonna leave that one alone. It is not my intent to insult you, and I will not stoop to that level.
Really, I do appreciate your comments and answer from you regarding my question. Thank you for that. And I am clear on voluntary worship issue, from your opinion. Which is all I wanted.

This is where we differ the most. You think that a repression of religion is the cause of every existing problem today. I think that living in your fantasy religion word is anti-productive, and anti-progressive. Prayer doesn't solve anything, action and understanding does. Prayer only boosts morale in those who want to believe. I can't say this enough times; religion is not morality. If anything, it's hypocrisy. The problems you face today are considerably less than those that existed when religious organizations ruled. That was a horrible time, and will always be remembered as some of the most brutal, inhumane times of all history. It's very easy for me to argue the exact opposite...that the decline of religious activity is the reason people aren't brutally tortured or stoned to death as often now.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Once again, I'm ashamed of my state....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join