It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida's New Faith Based Prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Separation of Chuch and State? Jeb Bush is looking for alternatives, is this it? Florida recently announced their first faith based system, and it irks me because our kids cannot say "In God We Trust" or pray in school, yet the convicts can?

Check This Out

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Absolutely appalling behaviour on the part of Florida.

How dare they force religion on people, even if they're criminals they should be able to stay in prison being reeducated to fit in with society, not taught bible stories and how god is love, i agree that it will probably be very successful, however, its just plain not right.

I can see the ACLU jumping on this one very quickly, the sooner we get rid of those dumbass bushes the better.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Why so suprised? After all he is a Bush isnt he? The Bushes are all about what they want and dont give 2 #es about the peoples opinions. So this doesnt surprise me at all coming from Him.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Talk about cruel and unusual punishment.

Can you imagine having to listen to pat robinson 24 hours a day 365 days a year for 25 years?

Is lethal injection an option?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
funny thing about felons....they chose their life, they chose to rape, rob, murder, etc. as a result they lose certain rights they once had prior to their chosen life career. sucks to be them.

dont want religion pushed on you? dont break the law in florida. dont like being locked up? (some could and have aruged that this in itself is wrong) dont break the law at all. dont want certain rights and freedoms taken from you? dont break the law.

anyone see a commonality here? thats right! dont break the law.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:46 AM
link   

dont want religion pushed on you? dont break the law in florida.

Would you say the same if it was a muslim prison? how about a satanic prison?

But the article did say it was voluntary so I dont have a problem with it.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

dont want religion pushed on you? dont break the law in florida.

Would you say the same if it was a muslim prison? how about a satanic prison?

it could be a buddhist prison and i'd still say the same thing. while i'm no fan of religion i do recognize that there are certain aspects of it that can teach someone to be a better person. i'm against forcing anything onto anyone but if you're a felon who obviously doesnt care enough to act like a normal civilized human being...you get what you deserve. there are worse things in prisons, than religion, like your bunkmate with a shiv waiting for you to go to sleep.

sorry there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to prisons and felons, religion isnt one of them.

hell the prison could have a little bit of every religion for all i care, i know i wont be going there, i'm not a felon!

while YOU notice it says voluntary everyone just sees "bush, religion, prison" and all of a sudden they start bashing. just seeing the name bush alone usually does the trick...as evidence by the posts above...

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   

"Voluntary" doesn't happen that often in prison. Of course, this is more Jeb Bush BS. From the guy that invents green thumb laws to feed and water Terri Shiavo. Whatever. Posture politics.

But prisons are corrupt as hell. In Georgia you can be sold off to a private work farm, where the same rights no longer apply. In the State run prison, they try like hell to parole you since you cost the state money... but one you set foot on the Bodie plantation, you best set your mind to working.

It's a fawking crock...illegal as hell. But it's been found constitutional, so whatever. Anyway, don't get a DUI on vacation in Georgia unless you plan to relocate.

As for Jeb's faith based prison, I bet you still can't get an AA or NA group started. For some reason, prisons don't like those, or limit them severely. Heck, they might do good. But preaching and gospel singing? Yeehaw.

As for "voluntary" it's probably find jesus or clean toilets with gang rapists. Seriously. That's "voluntary" in prison.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

"Voluntary" doesn't happen that often in prison. Of course, this is more Jeb Bush BS. From the guy that invents green thumb laws to feed and water Terri Shiavo. Whatever. Posture politics.

But prisons are corrupt as hell. In Georgia you can be sold off to a private work farm, where the same rights no longer apply. In the State run prison, they try like hell to parole you since you cost the state money... but one you set foot on the Bodie plantation, you best set your mind to working.

It's a fawking crock...illegal as hell. But it's been found constitutional, so whatever. Anyway, don't get a DUI on vacation in Georgia unless you plan to relocate.

As for Jeb's faith based prison, I bet you still can't get an AA or NA group started. For some reason, prisons don't like those, or limit them severely. Heck, they might do good. But preaching and gospel singing? Yeehaw.

As for "voluntary" it's probably find jesus or clean toilets with gang rapists. Seriously. That's "voluntary" in prison.

then maybe these harsh condition would be a deterent...but apparently not as people continue to chose to rape rob and murder on a daily basis. they put themselves into those situations and yet you have the gall to blame a politician? prison isnt suppose to be fun or nice. you lose rights when you become a felon. since they didnt want to learn the easy way, they are now learning the hard way what happens when you dont play by the rules. tough stuff for them. i dont feel the least bit sorry for them. life isnt easy for any of us but the decisions we make can make life a little easier or a lot harder. i choose easier because i KNOW i dont want to go to prison EVER. i dont want to lose jmy freedoms, i dont want to lose my rights. i also dont want to rape rob or murder. i dont want to steal a car owned by someone else that probably worked their ass off for. i dont want to break the law.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
funny thing about felons....they chose their life, they chose to rape, rob, murder, etc. as a result they lose certain rights they once had prior to their chosen life career. sucks to be them.

dont want religion pushed on you? dont break the law in florida. dont like being locked up? (some could and have aruged that this in itself is wrong) dont break the law at all. dont want certain rights and freedoms taken from you? dont break the law.

anyone see a commonality here? thats right! dont break the law.

That's #ed up!
Did you know that just discharging a fire extinguisher in FLA is a 3rd degree felony? Don't ask me how I know this. For that, you think people should be forced into religious brainwashing tactics? There are all kinds of victimless crimes that will get you a shiny new felony.
You're obviously under the ignorant impression that all felons are dangerous.

[Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Rant

here in Arkansas they have AA and NA in the prison system and as for the prisonors them selves I do feel sorry for the drug offenders I think that they could be handled in a better fashion but as far as the rest..... who gives a s**t?

How many of you have been locked up? I have.
other than the pot and meth heads its FULL of killers, rapists and baby rapers. I shared a cell with a man who chopped up two people with an ax and had them in the trunk of his car. Or how about the guy who raped about 20 women the youngest who was about 65? I am sorry but I have no pity for people like this. they should be shot like the rabid dogs they are. and as far as the gang rapers if you are not Man enough to take care of your self than you need to be someones b*tch.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr

That's #ed up!
Did you know that just discharging a fire extinguisher in FLA is a 3rd degree felony? Don't ask me how I know this. For that, you think people should be forced into religious brainwashing tactics? There are all kinds of victimless crimes that will get you a shiny new felony.

well noone said life or this world made much sense. i dont disagree some of it is messed up but rather than whining about it....actually do something about it for a change! good grief!

even i think certain things that are illegal are absurd, pot, prostitution (its ok in certain areas of nevada but not in the rest of the country, tell me how THAT makes sense) but at the moment they are illegal, this doesnt mean they always will though.

discharging a fire exstinguisher is a felony? proably had a law passed after someone played with one, then a real fire happened and then the fire extinguisher being of no use couldnt put out the fire.

its usually some joker A-hole who ruins it for everyone is what leads to the creation of laws like this.

its illegal to have a goat in your bath tub in the state of kentucky....guess how many cops would actually enforce that law...if you guess zero you're probably right.

brainwashing a felon really isnt so bad. think about their thought processes are now, cant get much more bottom of the barrel than their thinking so any change of thinking has to be a step in the right direction.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   

here in Arkansas they have AA and NA in the prison system and as for the prisonors them selves I do feel sorry for the drug offenders I think that they could be handled in a better fashion but as far as the rest..... who gives a s**t?

How many of you have been locked up? I have.
other than the pot and meth heads its FULL of killers, rapists and baby rapers. I shared a cell with a man who chopped up two people with an ax and had them in the trunk of his car. Or how about the guy who raped about 20 women the youngest who was about 65? I am sorry but I have no pity for people like this. they should be shot like the rabid dogs they are. and as far as the gang rapers if you are not Man enough to take care of your self than you need to be someones b*tch.

You must have done something bad to be locked up with the real dangerous guys, then. I've been to jail a few times myself. Twice I was moved to county population for a short time. They have different levels of offenders. On my cell block, the worst was a 70 year old man, in for life, for murder. Everyone else there was in for theft, drugs, assault...etc. They don't normally put you with the real dangerous people, unless you're there for a long time.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Prank, you're kind of fixated on the most deserving elements in prison: rapist, robbers and murderers...

But you might be surprised how easy it is to get a felony now. Small amounts of crack are a felony. Varying amounts of any drug are. The lines between personal use and intent to sell are so blurred and messed up by manditory felony sentencing that Rush LImbaugh will most likely be found for intent to sell drugs. Now I know he had no intention of selling those pills, and you know it. But a felon lobbied court has it's hands tied.

This of course has nothing to do with making life in prison hard, it should be. But the tact here of a religious angle, is just another knee jerk in the wrong direction.

One DWI now in most states, and you're halway to being a felon. Screw up in rehab, run a stop sign and you are one. It's messed up. Yet I watch COPS all the time where some guy hits a cop and is out that night. It's almost like you have to be a violent crazy person to even get mercy. The rest of us are just a waste of the courts time.

Drive drunk = 30 to 90 days. Drive drunk, illegal immigrant, no license, hit a cop then run? You're out the next day.

The 'system' is most effective at punishing people that are 99% law abiding. I'm rambling, but this is a sore spot for me (rubbing ass).

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
discharging a fire exstinguisher is a felony? proably had a law passed after someone played with one, then a real fire happened and then the fire extinguisher being of no use couldnt put out the fire.

its usually some joker A-hole who ruins it for everyone is what leads to the creation of laws like this.

Look into the charge for stealing a stop sign. I did that when I was a teen. That's quite a serious offense too. They look at it as "what if" scenarios. What if a car crashed...or what if there was a fire?

But, anyway, the bottom line here is, you're not going to force anyone to become religious, if they're not already.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   

and as far as the gang rapers if you are not Man enough to take care of your self than you need to be someones b*tch.

You sound like a guard, warden or Judge these days.

Whatever. But that's crazy talk. I wouldn't wish that on Rush LImbaugh, and for the record, he is not man enough and would be a target from what I saw.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
Look into the charge for stealing a stop sign. I did that when I was a teen. That's quite a serious offense too. They look at it as "what if" scenarios. What if a car crashed...or what if there was a fire?

You are dead on right here Satyr. The concpet of innocent until proven guilty is GONE. DWI's are punished as a violent offense because of what you MIGHT have done. You're better off threatening your spouse with a knife than hitting a road block with 3 beers in you. Sad but true.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   

You must have done something bad to be locked up with the real dangerous guys, then

Just a few pounds of pot and a REALLY bad attitude coupled with a real violent temper and a habit of kicking the s**t out of rapists and such.That was about 25 years ago and back then the didnt segergate jacks**t. we had one poor kid in for stealing a car who was rapped repeatedly till his colon ruptured and the took him out I dont know what happened to him after that.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Prank, you're kind of fixated on the most deserving elements in prison: rapist, robbers and murderers...

But you might be surprised how easy it is to get a felony now. Small amounts of crack are a felony. Varying amounts of any drug are. The lines between personal use and intent to sell are so blurred and messed up by manditory felony sentencing that Rush LImbaugh will most likely be found for intent to sell drugs. Now I know he had no intention of selling those pills, and you know it. But a felon lobbied court has it's hands tied.

This of course has nothing to do with making life in prison hard, it should be. But the tact here of a religious angle, is just another knee jerk in the wrong direction.

One DWI now in most states, and you're halway to being a felon. Screw up in rehab, run a stop sign and you are one. It's messed up. Yet I watch COPS all the time where some guy hits a cop and is out that night. It's almost like you have to be a violent crazy person to even get mercy. The rest of us are just a waste of the courts time.

Drive drunk = 30 to 90 days. Drive drunk, illegal immigrant, no license, hit a cop then run? You're out the next day.

The 'system' is most effective at punishing people that are 99% law abiding. I'm rambling, but this is a sore spot for me (rubbing ass).

what you're talking about here is a restructuring/reforming of the justice system at large. not that i disagree with you, drug "offenders" (read: personal users) should get treatment more than just a ten year sentence next to killer and rapists.

i find it hard to muster ANY sympathy for any punishment given to a drunk driver. in my state we had an idiot drinking and driving who killed a school bus full of kids. they were burned alive and he walked away with barely a scratch. the harshness of the DUI cases is for a reason, to help prevent things like that from happening! it wasnt the first time the guy drove while drunk, in fact he was a repeat offender! when you do it to yourself its one thing, but when your habits can effect others you deserve to have the book thrown at you have you thrown under the jail and you should consider yourself lucky if you get the see the light of day again.

while i understand there are those in prison who may not deserve such a harsh treatment they still chose to break the law and as much as you think its unfair they should still be punished according the law. now maybe if you want to see the justice system reformed, i'll sign up with you and help you out but until then tough stuff for them.

satyr i dont think its about making them religious, i believe its about teaching them certain values that are fairly universal in most religions to those who have no values or very poor ones.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Whatever. But that's crazy talk. I wouldn't wish that on Rush LImbaugh, and for the record, he is not man enough and would be a target from what I saw.

Where I was at he would be turned out in an hour. As far as being a gaurd or judge read my post I was a INMATE. you should thank god every day that some of the bast*ds I saw are STILL locked up, some do deserve what they get, but they should seperate the violent offenders from the rest. By the way they (the other Inmates) castorated the man who rapped the old women they barely got him to the infermary before he bled to death.

Sometimes you do see justice

[Edited on 28-12-2003 by Amuk]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join