It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Constitution. Does it even matter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The Constitution seems to be stupified, no?

President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Power in its glory

Thats alot of laws disobeyed 750...

So does all this "Iron mountain" "PAtriot Act" and whatever other means to disarm all you gun toting americans? really even relate to reality in the USA?

Im thinking just like the dictionary desribes constitution it is mearly a character or condition of mind; disposition; temperament.".

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The 3 tiered government we have right now is such that there's not much that he can really feasibly get away with without getting himself, and his party, into a lot of trouble. If he were to actually do something blatantly against the Constitution, he'd be ousted within the hour. We won't tolerate assaults on our sovereignty like that.

That being said, I think it is one more step to an aristocratic society. I think it was a test to see the reactions of the American populace. There have been several of these tests over the course of the past 6 years. If We the People continue to be complacent, and allow him and those who control him to roll over us like this, then we've already lost the fight. I just look forward to the day when we can all just stop worrying about others trying to control us, and live our lives the way WE want to.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Within the Judicial Branch, there's an upheaval that has been exposed:

news.yahoo.com...

Although US attorneys are often replaced at the start of a new presidential administration, it is not common to do so in mid-term.

"The dismissed US attorneys have testified under oath and said in public that they believe political influence was applied," the Democrat chairman of the Senate committee Patrick Leahy said at Thursday's hearing.

"If they are right ... then we have a situation highly improper. And it corrodes the public's trust in our system of justice."

This is covered, somewhat, in mainstream media, but the details are sketchy. If I had to offer an opinion, I'd say there not supporting the illegal maneuvers, such as wire-tapping, information pooling, and tracking that this administration is so fond of.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
In the words of the Vice President "It doesn't matter what the People think..."

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Steps are being taken against the American sovereignty, rights, liberties, and freedoms... yes... however...

The American populous has not and will not stand for it. With each law that President Bush has "attempted" to betray, or more importantly, betraying the Constitution, you will probably find ample evidence of the American populous speaking out against it in one form or another.

Nothing happens overnight. That's just the democratic process that we have here in the U.S.

I assure you, the actions taken by President Bush have not, and will not be overlooked.

Jotfish... can you site a link for that quote?

In a sincere rebuttal to the VP's comment... "We'll see who gets the last laugh."

Info.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What is the point of saying people won't put up with this?

If they put the country under military law, the Pres. can do what ever he/she wants. There will be no such thing as democracy.

What then, will military people do what they do to ordinary people in countries they police? I have also heard stories from Dutch women about what allied troops did to them. The Iraqui women who were raped, and the list goes on.

Laugh if you want, but these are valid observations.

All it would take is one well placed blast and democracy is out the window.

I would hope we are above that, but power and greed make strange bedfellows.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by win 52

Because we won't.

If they put the country under military law, the Pres. can do what ever he/she wants. There will be no such thing as democracy.

Won't happen, because we won't let it happen.

What then, will military people do what they do to ordinary people in countries they police? I have also heard stories from Dutch women about what allied troops did to them. The Iraqui women who were raped, and the list goes on.

Again, won't happen.

Valid observations, maybe, but not realistic.

Take a step back and look at how the American people responded to 9/11 (even though that's an ongoing conspiratorial topic). You think for one second that the American people as a whole believe the lies that Bush tried to sell us? I don't. I'd hate to be in Bush's shoes when he ok's another 9/11 here in the homeland. He would have bitten off more than he can chew.

True, power and greed do make strange bedfellows, but the Heart of the American people as a whole, to give up their Constitution, Rights, and Freedoms will take more than the act of few select corrupt people.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   

So does all this "Iron mountain" "PAtriot Act" and whatever other means to disarm all you gun toting americans? really even relate to reality in the USA?

What I don't understand is why other countries have so-called "liberal" gun laws, yet, they aren't in a police state. Take a look on Europe - you can buy guns, sure, but not by going into a store and bying one. You'll have to declare and stuff.

Im thinking just like the dictionary desribes constitution it is mearly a character or condition of mind; disposition; temperament.".

The constitution was a great document when it mattered, back when there were feudalism in every part of the world. Today, the constitution is merely a document that is important to some people - most people abide by the laws of the global market. If you have money, then that is your freedom.

I think it is strange that everybody thinks that the NWO happens once the US is under some kind of martial law. If the NWO really exist, they would realise that such a thing, at least in the US, is impossible. Why is it so important for a dictatorship to have one dictator? A dictator would only make it reasonable for the American people to revolt - thus it is more reasonable to keep the US as it is - a two-party state. It looks like democracy, but it isn't.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infoholic

Because we won't.

Won't happen, because we won't let it happen.

Again, won't happen.

Valid observations, maybe, but not realistic.

Take a step back and look at how the American people responded to 9/11 (even though that's an ongoing conspiratorial topic). You think for one second that the American people as a whole believe the lies that Bush tried to sell us? I don't. I'd hate to be in Bush's shoes when he ok's another 9/11 here in the homeland. He would have bitten off more than he can chew.

True, power and greed do make strange bedfellows, but the Heart of the American people as a whole, to give up their Constitution, Rights, and Freedoms will take more than the act of few select corrupt people.

Your come off way to righteous, with your statements.

Could you elborate of how you can stop them from changing the 750 laws that were already changed.

And just incase you missed the whoel 911 deal, Bush administred a Patriot act which give full authority to him and his governemnt to do what they want when they want, why did'nt you stop that?

911 was orcastrated for control, which was accomplished, and many americans where traumatized by what happened and then right after your goverment went and lied to you all about all kinds of bull# from WMD to Al kaeda to Iraq,let this remind you of what they did after the lies... From my standpoint 911 was orchastrated to instill many illusions in the minds of a helpless people creating fear mongers and hatred towards man kind what they did was create an energy that you all sucked up and in all reality it made you all just as bad as them... and it can only transcend to others in a negative way.
If people could only realize that they radiate energy of great proportions, and if we could only grasp that thoughts transcend to one another,may it be good thoughts or bad negative vibes the flow of feelings, wants,needs and hate is always flowing, it is up to us to make it a better world and by wasting many hours and days of our always worrying and hating we only empower the thing we hate or despise. What you resist persists, if you sit day in day out talking about what you don't want and how bad it is, read about that all the time, and then go and say how terrible it is you just create more of it. Learn to become still and take attention away from what you don't want and all that emotional charge around it and place it on what you wish to experience.
You are not here to get the world to be just as you want it to be, we are here to create the world around you that you choose, while you allow the world others see to exist around you also.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by seridium]

[edit on 4-4-2007 by seridium]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by seridium
Your come off way to righteous, with your statements.

I apologize if I have offended you, seridium, but I'm not trying to come off as righteous... just optimistic.

Could you elborate of how you can stop them from changing the 750 laws that were already changed.

Easy as calling them out on it. As American citizens, we have the right to petition our government for a redress of grievances. Here's where they laid down that law: 1st Amendment

And just incase you missed the whoel 911 deal, Bush administred a Patriot act which give full authority to him and his governemnt to do what they want when they want, why did'nt you stop that?

Nope, I didn't miss that one. I was just one of the nearly 300,000,000 people that the Bush Administration lied to (referencing 9/11). As for the Patriot Act, I only learned about the Patriot Act about 6 months ago. Furthermore... read and sign my Petition which was started a few months ago in light of some of the things the Government has done in the past 6 years(surprising that I'm doing something, isn't it).

I am fully aware *today* of what took place on 9/11, and the repercussions that followed. Unfortunately, things cannot be mended over night. They will take time to fix the errors brought upon this nation.

I am but only one man, and I will do everything within my might to do what is right... for God, Country, and Family.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The official job description of the U.S. Chief of Staff is:

to CARRY OUT THE LAW.

Obviously, this isn't something familiar to the VP...

When Clinton signed the law against same-sex marriages, besides the fact it was already in violation even being in front of him to sign (because one state, Hawaii, had already enacted a provision for such a year or so before that and the Federal Government is NOT allowed to do that)....his comment of explanation was:

'I don't believe in it.'

SO WHAT?

That is totally inappropriate - he literally betrayed his Oath of Office on record! That is inexcusable, IMO - because there is no reason for not knowing one's job description; whether janitor or in the Executive Office of the US - the only way a person can fulfill their job responsibilities as an adult is to KNOW what is expected and allowed and NOT deviate!

The constitution DOES matter and it a very high principled document and not impossible, in any fashion, to carry out today in the very same fashion it was intended to serve when written 200 + years ago. We just need someone with balls to stand up to the government in the name of patriotism - to be a patriot often means one has to protect their fellow citizens from the government!

The problem is not the constitution and the blame cannot be put on any one person - we can't even fault the government for it when we have not yet called them on it...

But we will. SOON.

top topics

join