It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help with norton anti virus!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I have not done a full virus scan in a while. I attempted to do a couple last night. I would get to 160,100 files scanned and then it wouldnt scan past that. It kept on going like it was scanning but it does not. I have to then shut off my computer. It says i have 16 infected files and only 1 repaired, but it did not fully finish the scan. What do I do?????

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   
16...WOW...you using Kazaa? Umm Have you tried reinstalling NAV?

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Get that stuff quarintined, McAffee doesa good job, and you can get free teials that will scan for virus and get rid of most. For serious virus, reformatting may be the only way to save the computer. So, you might want to make copies of anything you want to keep. And then run a virus scan on the back ups just to make sure.

PCcillin(spelling?) I hear is among the best.

xn

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The best is Norton Antivirus 2004. It will find over 97% of viruses that aren't in the virus definitions, McAfee only scanned 69%. This was taken from Norton Antivirus 2003 and McAfee 7 (or something like that) tests.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
I have not done a full virus scan in a while. I attempted to do a couple last night. I would get to 160,100 files scanned and then it wouldnt scan past that. It kept on going like it was scanning but it does not. I have to then shut off my computer. It says i have 16 infected files and only 1 repaired, but it did not fully finish the scan. What do I do?????

YIKES!!! You've got a sick one there don't ya! Ok, well NAV is a good choice and should be able to take care of you but even after NAV has done it's thing you may want to run another Anti-Virus just to make sure. But for now start with this:
1.) Shut down all other programs to give Norton all the CPU and Memory power you can.

2.) Run a "Manual" Scan of the entire machine. Make sure you scan every file too, not just program files.

3.) Set Norton to Alert you of Each Virus as it's found and "Ask you what it should do". When it asks, tell it to "Repair". If it can't repair it, then tell it to "Quarentine" the file. Then it will continue on to the next one. This way you'll take care of each one as you get to it. (You also want to write down each one for later reference and research. Some Virii require additional work to repair the damage beyond just removing them.)

4.) When it's done it should have either Repaired them or Quarentined them. The Quarentined files will have to be examined by you, and you'll have to decide whether or not they are ok to Remove(delete). If it's a critical file, then you'll have to replace it with a non-infected one. If it's something you can do without, Remove/Delete it.

BTW, if you are using XP or some type of "Go Back" feature you might need to go through some extra steps to fully clean your system. For now though just do what you can. Let me know what virus(s) you are infected with and what Operating System you're using. Good Luck & Happy Hunting!! :bash:

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I did not have any other programs running while I did the virus scan. I do not use kazaa very much, only a few times, but i can all files i download from kazaa. The 16 infected files do not seem to be doing my computer any harm.

When I do a full scan of my whole system, It stops at a random number of files scanned. It has stopped at 149,300 files scanned, 160,100 files scanned, and other random numbers. How do i get the scan to finish?? I left the scan on for 11 hours yesterday and it didnt finish.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Buy another Hard Drive and create a Slave Drive so you can use one for illegal downloads and the second for other things you do.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   
That does not help me with my problem.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I did not have any other programs running while I did the virus scan. I do not use kazaa very much, only a few times, but i can all files i download from kazaa. The 16 infected files do not seem to be doing my computer any harm.

When I do a full scan of my whole system, It stops at a random number of files scanned. It has stopped at 149,300 files scanned, 160,100 files scanned, and other random numbers. How do i get the scan to finish?? I left the scan on for 11 hours yesterday and it didnt finish.

It could be locking up the scan for a number of reasons. That's why you might need to break up the scan into smaller separate scans. If everything is all on one logical drive or partition like C: then scan everything except the windows Directory and it's contents. Then after that is complete scan only the windows Directory and it's subfolders/files. That way atleast NAV will have a chance to complete it's Scan/Repair of certain areas. Giving it too much to do at one time or having it lock up half way through doesn't allow for any progress. Break up the work load a little. It could be hitting locked or protected files or something and fighting with the OS for control over them. Or it could be that a virus has misallocated some data on your HDD or screwed with your FAT table or something.(FAT=File Allocation Table. Not used if your drive is NTFS.)

What OS are you using? 98 ME 2000 XP?
What Virus(s) do you know are there so far? Where are they found, directory & file?
How large is the drive you're scanning? How full is it?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The drive I am scanning if 40GB, only 33 GB or something around that is space I can use. I only have 331 MB free at the moment, but will be freeing up some space.

I am running xp

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   

The drive I am scanning if 40GB, only 33 GB or something around that is space I can use. I only have 331 MB free at the moment, but will be freeing up some space.

I am running xp

Ahhhh...Ok, that is going to be your problem then. XP gets really pissy when it runs low on space. 331megs. out of 33gigs is really small. Your system is also going to run really slow like that as well. I doubt that you will be able to defrag your drive like that either. Free up atleast 2 or 3 gigs of space first. A lot of space can be made available by stopping the "Restore Feature", plus there are some types of Virii that remain in the Backups that the "Restore Feature" uses. However, if you'd like to keep the restore feature going, it's your choice. I'm just letting you know. If you can't delete enough stuff to get the required free space you need, then burn some to CD or Zip disk or something for now. If you can't back them up to other media than use WinZip or WinRar or something and Compress stuff down.

Other things to try for XP: Remove Accounts that you don't use. Each login account in XP creates it's own "Desktop, My Documents, etc." For some of this maintenence you may need to log in or "run as" Admin. to have enough authority.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by xn
The best is Norton Antivirus 2004. It will find over 97% of viruses that aren't in the virus definitions, McAfee only scanned 69%. This was taken from Norton Antivirus 2003 and McAfee 7 (or something like that) tests.

What can you say about Doctor Web or Avast?

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:20 PM
link   
You might wanna try booting and safe mode and running another scan.

Maybe it can't desinfect, repair or delete the file because they are used by another process (that's unlikely, most A.V. will pass over this, but anyway...) so if you boot in safe mode, you have more chance that the infected files won't be 'up' when you run the scan.

If it doesn't work, go to another computer (temporarly) that you're sure is not infected, and make A.V. boot CDs or Floppies.

About that free space, m0j0m is right. 300 meg is really too low for a XP system. 1 Go should be the minimum. If you go to the "free disk space" section, make sure you check the second tab, and click on "delete all the restore points except the most recent". You might as well turn the restore function 'off' if you don't need it. (the restore function actually suck, you're better making image of you sys. partition with Norton Ghost or Drive Image)

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by m0rbid]

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
You might wanna try booting and safe mode and running another scan.

Maybe it can't desinfect, repair or delete the file because they are used by another process (that's unlikely, most A.V. will pass over this, but anyway...) so if you boot in safe mode, you have more chance that the infected files won't be 'up' when you run the scan.

If it doesn't work, go to another computer (temporarly) that you're sure is not infected, and make A.V. boot CDs or Floppies.

Safe Mode may not allow Anti-Virus software to work though. Safe Mode only loads the bare essentials and AV software usually requires special virtual drivers and stuff to be loaded to work.

Pizza's major problem is the space. 300megs isn't enough room, especially for XP. You have to figure in enough space for Swap File usage. XP is a big load normally and requires plenty of room for memory usage, both RAM and SWAP file usage.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ilovepizza just a question to make certain:
Didn't you ignored some of the files perhaps before you did that virusscan? I mean, you downloaded something which you wanted to use, Norton wanted to delete it, so you said to Norton "ignore that f�le".

Could that be the 15 infected files which could't be repared because you said to Norton they were oke?

Just a question

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
mOjOm

Well, I know that Norton (from 2002 to todays version, corporate or home edition) WILL work in safe mode, for having used it often - at least with XP workstation or 2003 server. Safe mode was particularly usefull to get off the blaster virus, in it's really early stage.

If you check out symantec home page, I think I recall seeing them a few time recommending that scan be run in safe mode.

But I agree that disk space is a major problem in his case.

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by m0rbid]

top topics

join