It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop arrests seven year old child for sitting on motor bike.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

BALTIMORE — Police arrested a 7-year-old boy, handcuffed him and hauled him down to the station house on a charge of riding a motorized dirt bike on a sidewalk.

Then, according to his mother, Gerard Mungo Jr. was handcuffed to a bench and interrogated before being released to his parents.

"They scared me," Gerard told The Baltimore Examiner before breaking down in tears.

Mayor Sheila Dixon apologized Friday for the arrest, and police commissioner Leonard Hamm said it would be investigated internally.

What is wrong with this picture? You know what nothing. Nothing until some people wake up and realise that something is really wrong here. Where do you get off doing this to a seven year old child? I guess you want to get these young black males use to the jail system really early on, and on the least charge. Couldn't you wait till he was at least ten years old. No come on now, you see some kid sitting outside apparently his own home, on a bike, with the motor off.

You talk to the child, don't come grab him, like he's some criminal. Then continue to ruff him up, and then when your supervisor comes over, who should know better, the same continues. Then while the mother cries cause you are ruffing up her seven year old child, you blatently ignore it, and take the child to jail, where you interigate him, and finger print him, and take his mug shot. Are you out of your minds? Of course not, this is every day behaviour for you, and until these people wake up and stand up, it will continue to be.

Some days I can hardly believe the stories that I am hearing, but why should I not. Until someone(s) stand up, then these sorts of practices will just continue.

Now I wonder if they offered to make him a part of the community snitching programs, as a condition for his release as they do so many other young black males?

This was obhorant behaviour and for so many different reasons. These officers of the law should know better. They should be out getting real criminals, not children sitting on bikes in front of their own homes with the motor off.

Mod Edit: External Quote Reduction.

[edit on 28/3/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
Then while the mother cries cause you are ruffing up her seven year old child, you blatently ignore it, and take the child to jail, where you interigate him, and finger print him, and take his mug shot.

There's your answer right there. Any excuse to get them into the system as young as possible. There's a drive on to get everyone's identifiers on computer so that recognition software, etc. can be used. It's tyranny plain and simple, and I share your concern about the slumbering state of the American people.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The United States of Police has a lot to answer for...

That's a disgrace. There's other ways to deal with a seven year old child that would be far more effective than handcuffs could hope to achieve!

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Dont seem right to me!

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
yeah, lets just let kids run around breaking laws... everything will be fine.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is another case of excessive force, that obviously was truth when an apology was offered and an investigation will follow.

This will end in either another law sue or on nothing.

At the end we the people lose in either case as the powers in our nation makes their present felt all over america.

We have been just slowly introduce to the NWO.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hi resistor.

You know when I heard that in the UK that they were going to start with the whole identities in the computers, I was worried, but this does seem to be along that same line. I think it's a disgrace and I think as citizens of this world we have to stand up and speak up. I can't believe this stuff. It's also not the first time I have heard of the police handling children in this manner.

I think the worst story I head was with the 5 year old girl and the 3 cops. It's a disgrace, these are children, you talk to them, and teach them wrong from right, how else do they learn.

I can bet that child will now have a fear of the police, but no respect for them, and why should he for someone who would do something like that. A seven year old.

Hi tezzajw.

I agree, it's a disgrace. That police officer should have said son, you can't ride this on the side walk. But the child when the officer approached was not riding it on the side walk, in fact the motor was off. That's what I had pointed out in my quotes, but if you read the article you will see that.

Now most seven year olds when they see an officer or an adult and they say not to do that and the parent is right there, they will look to the parent for direction and the mom, I am sure would have either agreed or disagreed with the police officer, but to grab the child, and manhandle him that way, for doing nothing. He certainly does not seem to have been intending to break any laws. As an adult I certainly do not know the rules for those motor bikes for sure, much less a seven year old child.

Hi Id123.

It does not seem right to me either, and when things like this happen, we really have to raise our voices and let the State know that we do not think that this is appropriate.

HI elevatedone.

I am not sure if you read the article, but it's not even clear if the child was aware any rules were being broken. He was sitting on the bike, with the motor off. It sounds like he was in front of his home, his mother was right there with him.

Surly the officer could have come over in a decent manner and said, son you can ride that on the side walk, since the child had been doing so. No instead this office saw this child sitting on the bike, the motor was off, and grabs him by the collar.

Now in this society I am sure as a parent of a seven year old child, she probably had him riding the thing where she could see him, rather than risking the chance of some creep coming and grabbing her child when her back was turned.

He came over, grabbed up the child. (Here let me give you the quote from the article.)

Kikisa Dinkins said her son was sitting on the bike with the motor off on the sidewalk when an officer grabbed him by the collar and pulled him off.

"I told them to let go of my baby," Dinkins said. "Since when do you pull a 7-year-old child by his neck and drag him?"

See the office simply should have said, son you can't ride that on the side walk. Then the mother could have made sure that the child either didn't ride that sort of motor bike on the side walk any more, or just had him do so at the park.

It's not about allowing children to break the rules. I don't even think it's clear that the mother or the child knew that any rules were being broken. This does not seem right.

Hi marg6043.

I think you are right, there will be some little investigation and nothing will get done. I don't think we are slowly being introduced to the New World Order, I think it's happening more swiftly than we realise.

This is just abominable behaviour, and I really am not sure what to do about this. I mean does letter writing even work any more.

Protesting seems to just get people pepper sprayed or hit with rubber bullets.

The police can not be allowed to act this way. What really bothered me is not only how the officer acted, but when the mother asked for his supervisor, who you think would act more sensibly, the situation actually became worst.

How are these people getting into positions of authority? There are better ways to handle children.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

What law was he breaking? I thought the motor was off?

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
youtube.com...

www.prisonplanet.com...

This was the story of the 5 year old getting handcuffed and arrested. Now this to me is ridiculous.

A trip to the principles office or the day care office and most kids will settle down. Calling the police on a five year old, what kind of ECE skills do you not have?

Now the child was having a tantrum, but come on now. Is this how we want the state treating children? When I heard about this a couple of years ago, I could not believe it.

The same with the six year old child who had a piece of glass in his hand, and it also required the help of the police, to taser him, to get the glass from him.

www.theregister.co.uk...

The first incident involved a six-year old boy who was Tasered at his elementary school. He had broken a picture and was threatening to cut his leg with the glass. Police defended the decision saying they were happy to talk about use of the Taser rather than talking about injuries the child could have done to himself. The boy's mother told CNN: "If there's three officers, it's nothing to tell a 6-year-old holding a glass, if you feel threatened, 'Hey, here's a piece of candy, hey, here's a toy. Let the glass go."

I don't think this is the way we want the state treating children.

I mean can you imagine the characters Anne from Anne of Green Gables or Laura from Little house in this society?

Anne of Green Gables would have been tasered and arrested for hitting Gilbert Blyth over the head and calling him a mean and hateful boy.

Laura Ingles would been called an ADD child, and suspended for her repeated fights and abusive behaviours towards the other kids. I mean childhood use to be just that, but not any more.

I am not saying let kids break the laws, or act destructively, but as adults, there are ways to deal with children, and the above three examples are not the ways to go.

-The child on the bike, should have been told what the laws are, and then if you really wanted to take it to that level, fine his mother for not knowing the law, and for letting him ride.

-The 5 year old child with the tantrum, she was already sitting calmly when the police arrived. You did not need 3 officers to handcuff a little girl.

Talking to her sternly would have done the trick. At 5 having police officers called was probably going to be internalised as a really serious thing.

-The child with the glass, seriously, the principle should have walked over and just taken it from him. The time it took to call the police and then have them come, the situation should have been dealt with way more effectively.

Is this how we want the police handling children in society. I can give you a dozen more stories, but these are ones that come to mind really easily. We do not want children misbehaving, but they are children, and they are not going to learn by being arrested, or tasered for being children.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
I am not sure if you read the article, but it's not even clear if the child was aware any rules were being broken. He was sitting on the bike, with the motor off.

True. But...

The arrest came after an officer saw Gerard riding his dirt bike on the sidewalk in east Baltimore on Tuesday...

Still! The child shouldn't have been touched! They should have politely asked to speak to the mother and told her that her boy was breaking the law and if it didn't stop, they woiuld arrest her.

Surly the officer could have come over in a decent manner and said, son you can ride that on the side walk, since the child had been doing so.

Or that.

I feel so bad for this kid. He'll always remember this trauma.

[edit on 29-3-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I agree that the child should not have been "grabbed".

However when first reading the article and first few posts in this thread, it seemed to me that the thought was that nothing at all should have happened to this kid.

I was simply implying that kids need to be disciplined, within reason of course.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Too quick to judge IMO. I don't think that we have enough info as to what actually happened. Mothers will usually defend their children. Remember the mother who denied driving her suspended child to school and help her fight a student, even though it was all on tape?? How do we know that hasn't happened here. How do you know the police didn't tell the boy to stop and he just kept riding and had just turned the engine off? How do we know he hasn't been warned multiple times? What do we know about this case??? Hersay from the mother, that's all....hersay does not hold up in court, nor should it hold up on ATS. Deny ignorance, more like don't deny it, accept that some people are ignorant and you aren't. Look into things. Deeply!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
dawwwn so the kid was just sitting not intending to start the engine and go nfs?
well its just a silly coinsidence and a cop mistake but handcuffed and hauled lol...thats police brutality...its a seven year old what afraid hes gonna hit u or sometin

[edit on 30/3/07 by Unisol]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hi AlphaAnuOmega.

Too quick to judge IMO. I don't think that we have enough info as to what actually happened. Mothers will usually defend their children. Remember the mother who denied driving her suspended child to school and help her fight a student, even though it was all on tape?? How do we know that hasn't happened here. How do you know the police didn't tell the boy to stop and he just kept riding and had just turned the engine off? How do we know he hasn't been warned multiple times? What do we know about this case??? Hersay from the mother, that's all....hersay does not hold up in court, nor should it hold up on ATS. Deny ignorance

It does not matter if this kid was riding the bike and repeatedly warned to not do so, and the cop had finally caught up to him. Bottom line, you do not grab a seven year old child like an animal by the collar. You do not take a child down to the station for finger printing, mugshots, and interigation for a bike riding incident.

You are right we might not know all the details. We do know the kid was riding the bike on the street at some point. Wither the cop had ever talked to him we do not know. But let's imagine the worst scenario. Let's imagine the cop had said you can't ride that here, and the seven year old had stuck his touch out or said nah I can do what I want.

Then you still don't pull this bs on a seven year old. You go to his mother, you say I have warned you kid about this, and he still won't listen. Here is a ticket for $200.00, keep him off the side walk.

You still do not haul a kid up by the collar and drag him to the station. If you think a kid is going to learn that way, or grow up to have any respect for the police, then you are sadly mistaken, and so was this cop.

I don't know all the details. The article does mention that at some point the kid was riding the bike, however when the cop found the child the engine was off, and the kid was with his mother.

So all you have to do is your bad ass cop performance and give her a ticket and if he does it again since you are so brutal threaten him with juvenile hall. I don't know, but that did not need to happen. Even grown criminals don't get treatment like that at times, much less a seven year old.

Deny ignorance, you bet.

top topics

join