It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cities set limits on serving food to Homeless people.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Cities set limits on serving food to Homeless people.

www.usatoday.com

Cities are cracking down on charities that feed the homeless, adopting rules that restrict food giveaways to certain locations, require charities to get permits or limit the number of free meals they can provide.
The feedings were happening several times a week" in parking lots and sidewalks downtown, says Dewey Harris, director of Wilmington's Community Services Department. "A lot of the merchants said, 'We feel uncomfortable when you have all these homeless being fed downtown when we're trying to attract tourists.' "
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Does anyone else find this appalling? It reminds me of when I lived in Hanoi, Vietnam and the government would routinely do sweeps and collect all the homeless people and send them to a special town. They also sent all the agent orange victims down to Saigon.

What happened to charity and compassion and how far away are we from putting indesirables into the alledged 'Haliburton camps'?

These situaitons are going to increase with the amount of foreclosures predicted. Someone needs to make a more humane suggestion.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Just another example of local governments not directly addressing the problems of the lowest common denominator.

Instead of fixing the homeless situation in meaningful ways, they would rather just sweep the problem up and place a band aid on the situation.

Like, we can limit homelessness by limiting the amount of help we give them.

They don't realize that homelessness goes on whether their is a food kitchen or not and the next thing will be increased crime and panhandling so these people can eat. To me, that is worse than anything, because the burden is taken from bona fide outreaches and will be placed directly on citizens and business.

Then the homeless will want to commit petty crimes so they can get a free bed and meal in jail.....costing the citizens more money.

If the citizens pay one way or the other, it would be better to have a legitimate soup kitchen and programs available to all who need it without anyone being turned away.

my 2 cents

new topics

join