It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids and discipline and PC state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Kids and discipline and PC state

news.bbc.co.uk

Hundreds of people in New Zealand have held a protest against a proposed law which would ban parents from hitting their children to discipline them.
At least 400 marched to Parliament in the capital Wellington, chanting slogans against the bill, which was due to be debated by MPs.

Another 1,000 marched in Christchurch, the largest city in the country's South Island to oppose the bill.

Some European countries have banned smacking, but globally most have not.

Some protesters carried banners reading: "Don't mess with the family" and "Kids don't belong to the state".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
bbc news
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 28-3-2007 by bodrul]

[edit on 28-3-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
i dont see where the goverments have a right to tell parents how to treat their kids when it comes to discipline,
these days kids seem to get away with everything thanks to PC state and how a parent should punish their kids.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I will say this much: there are kids who are so childish (for a lack of better words) that only a good smack upside the head will correct misbehavings. I don't exactly condone these actions, but I don't exactly denounce these actions either.. There is a point where discipline can turn into abuse, and rather than making a law to discourage any physical discipline, it should be discouraging child abuse.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Half-joking (only half, mind you)....with all of this non-lethal tech. the military is issuing to subdue enemy combatants...why not develop a low powered taser or microwave/pulse device that delivers a corrective measure against children who would respond to nothing else?

Now please, before I am judged, I believe parenting is an extremely interactive and exhausting process that requires knowing your children. I try desperately not to strike my child, and have on occasion, but it is something I do out of the last resort...not out of corrective practice.

As far as outlawing the practice...here in the United States, as long as parents are within the limits of the context of parenting care and no lasting physical harm has taken place, it would be difficult to legislate a ban here.

I am not condoning striking a child, but I am defending a parent's right to decide what is right in the hopes they see the truth.

Don't hit your kids.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hundreds of people in New Zealand have held a protest against a proposed law which would ban parents from hitting their children to discipline them.

I think that it is wrong to hit your children, and something like this should be pass in the U.S.A.

It is just modeling violence as a way to solve problems, and to get what you want.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I have let it be known my take on discipline. I don't think there is enough of it going on. The government, particularly here in the United States, has made it all too easy for someone to yell "child abuse." They have taken the parent's right to properly discipline their children away from them. Now it all about psychology and "time outs."

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

these days kids seem to get away with everything thanks to PC state and how a parent should punish their kids.

Couldn't agree more.

I'am sick and tired of hearing " Julian, don't do that, dont do that julian, oh Julian please dont.................................

If Julian got his bum smacked he would in all likelyhood stop!

This is not brutality, and I do understand the perspective of those who disagree. But really, a short sharp shock is not a life changing experience.

join