It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina Ends Falklands Oil Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Argentina Ends Falklands Oil Deal

news.bbc.co.uk

Argentina has scrapped a deal with the UK to share any oil found off the Falkland Islands - days ahead of the anniversary of the war for the islands.
Argentina says co-operation with the UK had to be linked to reopening talks over the sovereignty of the islands.

Argentine foreign minister Jorge Taiana said the UK used the deal to justify "illegitimate" claims to the islands.

Monday marks 25 years since the start of the War when UK forces reclaimed the islands after an Argentine invasion.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Well, this is a turn up for the books. The deal we made in 1995 effectively ended any prospect of a repeat of the 1982 War, but with this cancellation of the agreement, it does make you wonder what may be on the cards.

The Argentine's say they want talks about sovereignty, but wasn't that dispute settled in 1982? We're not going to give them up and the Islander's are British Citizens, they want to stay that way.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
That was my understanding as well.

They may think that the window of opportunity has swung open.

There will be no Task Force this time for obvious reasons.

Is it just me, or does it never end ?

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Having said there will be no task force this time, I do see that the UK still has a garrison there.

Falklands

Lets hope they're not needed.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
No it wasnt settled in 1982, Argetina still, claims that the falkland islands are theirs, off course the UK says nuhuh it is ours so hands off or else.

Do you think maybe they are watching, ( the argies), trying to maybe seize an opportunity, with allour armed forces being overstreched???

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
if Argentina trys anything they can say hello toa few mini nuke on thier military bases as im sure they were warned before of nukes being used on them. hmm maybe not nukes but probably those 30,000 pound bombs that are just as good as a nuke that the USA made?

[edit on 28-3-2007 by blobby]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I think they saw how invading the Falklands united Britain in its desire to get the islands back using military means if necessary, and so logically they'd see that it would happen again.

Besides which I think things have changed so much since 1982. I'm quite sure that, should Argentina decide to pursue this via military means, we'd get support from the EU and US (who are both crucial allies in this instance) - not necessarily for military assistance but for support and to put pressure on Argentina (especially economic - sanctions would hit the Argentines hard).

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Argentina scrapped the deal because some thought it gave legitimacy to the British occupation.

Britain has entered talks several times with the plan to give the islands back to it's rightful owner Argentina, but for a variety of reasons the deal has always fallen through. The UN has repeatedly requested that the UK and Argentina resolve the sovereignty issue, and in time, the Falklands will be restored to Argentina. This won't happen any time soon as any return will be modeled on Hong Kong and would have a similar 99 year time schedule once the deal starts.

top topics

join