It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new theory about atlantis(thera/santorini)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Ive been an avid reader of this site for awhile now and just decided to join so hello to everyone. To the point of the topic now... recently I watched the history channels documentary Lost Worlds:Atlantis(which i have seen many times before) it dawned on me that in Plato's story Timaus or Critaus he said when Solon met the Egyptian Priest the priest said "Keiftu (Atlantis) controlled the lands west of their lands. Plato may have misconstrued west as the straits of gibralter.West to the Egyptians was East to the Greeks b/c of the flow of the Nile. These lands may have included the cities of Tyre or the suposed Troy or any other Middle Eastern civilizations of the time.

Leave ur opioions or your own ideas.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
But does these cities even REMOTLY match what Plato claimed of Antlantis?

At least the Minoans match in some part to the story of Atlantis.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
idk id probably have to say that the middle east probably wasnt controlled by them. But wealthy trading cities such as Tyre and Troy(justa thought) coulde been controlled by a sea power like the Minoans were supposed to have been like Plato said.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I saw that show, and I was impressed with the theory santorini and crete make up atlantis.

I have been a believer that the story was an allegory, and not based on anything real, but the way they made the connections with santorini specifically as the island city shaped in a circle that was devastated, with advanced water technologies, and a connection to Egypt was pretty darn convincing to say the least

the palace on Crete also fit in nicely with a lot of plato's descriptions

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If we take it that way, Plato must have misconcepted East with West as well. We have to accept the scripts as they are.
Why?
Let's make a fake conception and assume that Atlandis is Mesopotamia. An other name of mesopotamia is ''The island''. (I read it somewhere in my history books so do not ask me to blow the dust from them away). The name given to this area becouse of its geographic feature to stand between two rivers, Tiger and Euphrate. Atlandis is an island. Mesopotamia is an ''island''. The connection with Troy perfectly fits as a result the wars with Greeks. The pillars of Hercules could be the same as the opening before the ''Black sea'', once hercules passed there too.

Subsequently, Atlandis is in Mesopotamia. To match, Plato did a mistake. He wanted to write East and for reasons only the ''theory of mistakes'' can grant he wrote West.

This simply isn't right
*fine*
This isn't a scientific approach

As we can see, we cannot make up things which fit most of our imagination. I am not saying imagination is a evil thing or something to turn your head away, but thankfully this forum has plenty of places to write a story.
-Collaborative writing
-Member short stories
-skunk works
Invert the word '' Atlandis''------>Sidnalta and write about the lost condinent of Sidnalta.
Pick up one and contribute, with all that imagination some users may promote the science fiction writing and cellebrate great minds of fictional stories and let the scientist do the rest. Well fine, that was my part... he he

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   

posted by Dragonlike
Let's make a fake conception and assume that Atlandis is Mesopotamia. An other name of mesopotamia is ''The island''. (I read it somewhere in my history books so do not ask me to blow the dust from them away). The name given to this area because of its geographic feature to stand between two rivers, Tiger and Euphrate. Atlandis is an island. Mesopotamia is an ''island''.

yeah but if you start saying things like that then some smartass is going to point out that Mesopotamia is the greek name for the area that three seperate civilisations existed between the Tigris and the Euphrated (Sumer, Akkad, Babylonia) and that anyway Mesopotamia means "the country between two rivers"
www.etymonline.com...
and that Greece was not only trading with it for most of its existence (greece not meso) and was never at war with it but that at one point actually ruled it having freed it from Persian rule

so if you do start saying that
watch out for that smartass

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Let me guess,
you are the smartass, don't you

Mesopotamia means "the country between two rivers"

This one refers to me or to educate more the community members, i don't know if you forgot, but i know greek etymology. Also, it doesn't change the fact that this area had been called ''the island''. You are trying so lightly to deny it by saying the already known...

After all i pose an example, what was so wrong about it...

watch out for that smartass

I can play dirty too, beware for... how my fellows call me... mmm...yeah, b a l l b r e a k e r

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Mesopotamia means the land between the rivers

ancienthistory.about.com...

the land between the twin rivers was called Mesopotamia

itss229.ed.psu.edu...

The toponym comes from the Greek words μέσος "between" and ποταμός "river", referring to the basins of the Euphrates and the Tigris rivers and the area in between. Comparably, the Arabic term is ما بين النهرين‎ Ma Bayn Nahrain "between two rivers".

en.wikipedia.org...

The land was called Mesopotamia, which means "land between two rivers."

members.shaw.ca...

Land between two rivers -> Mesopotamia (Greek

www.translatum.gr...

Mesopotamia - The ancient land between two rivers

baghdadartist.blogspot.com...

MESOPOTAMIA (Between two Rivers) The Tigris and Euphrates

www.stpt.usf.edu...

The Greek meaning for ‘land between two rivers’ Mesopotamia

mesopotamia5000bc-2005.blogspot.com...

Mesopotamia - The Land Between Two rivers

www.mc.maricopa.edu...

although
it was well known for having a story about a flood which was sent by a bearded god wielding a trident
how did you miss that detail
that proves it beyond any doubt by any pseudohistoric chance

posted by Dragonlike
i don't know if you forgot, but i know greek etymology

interesting claim

greek = mesos "middle" + potamos "river"
where is the island ?

did you forget
I am a sumerologist
i reckon my hand beats yours in this one old friend

[edit on 29-3-2007 by Marduk]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I am a sumerologist

And?
what do you want me to do?

Start crying?

It's wasn't in Greek what used this place to be called ''the Island''
Tell me old friend, from when we attribute a specific name at a place?
Mesopotamia is the Greek name!!!
But were Greek the only language?
No
''The island'' i am refering to wasn't in Greek.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   

posted by Dragonlike
And?
what do you want me to do?

Start crying?

of course not
but if you pay attention you might learn something

the Babylonians called it Babylonia after their capital city
Babylon is a greek name. it meant "gate of God"
the Akkadians called it Akkadia after their capital city
Akkadia is Akkadian for "gate of God"
the Sumerians called it the "land of the civilised lords" (Ki. En.Gir)

now here is where your theory falls flat

there is in fact no Sumerian/Akkadian/Babylonian word for island
this is the search page result from the electronic text corpus of sumerian literature which contain most of the sumerian literature translated
etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk...

No hits: 'island'

this means there is no story containing the word island in existence

this is the electronic pennsylvanian sumerian dictionary
it covers all languages of mesopotamia
psd.museum.upenn.edu...

0 hits for island

''The island'' i am refering to wasn't in Greek

it also wasn't
Babylonian
Akkadian
Sumerian

so please tell me what language ever referred to mesopotamia as an island
because I just covered all the relevant ones

and if you actually look at the map

you'll see that the only city that could even remotely be described as being on an island is Borsippa
and that city was about the smallest one in the entire country
hardly Atlantis

are we learning yet ?

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Urartu, Ararat and the modern name of the land is Armenia. Where the people of Armenia came from is unkown. Some say the people of Armenia came from Atlantis or from Europe or even Greece and mixed in with the natives of Anatolia. The Armenians also defeated the Babylonians and were once a great empire. Their language is an Indo-European, but the land is located in Asia minor. There is no other language like it. Armenia has its own Stonehenge, and it is much older than that of Englands. Also all the animals of the zodiac can be found there.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
There are also speculations that the Santorini eruption/explosion in addition to wiping out the Minoans could have "divided the waters" for Moses. It happened at that time, and it also caused a tsunami which hit the area where "God divided the waters" for Moses and his people when they fled from the Egyptians.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dascorp
Urartu, Ararat and the modern name of the land is Armenia. Where the people of Armenia came from is unkown. Some say the people of Armenia came from Atlantis or from Europe or even Greece and mixed in with the natives of Anatolia

The Armenians (Armenian: Հայեր, Hayer) are a nation and an ethnic group originating in the Caucasus and eastern Anatolia

en.wikipedia.org...

The Armenians also defeated the Babylonians and were once a great empire.

Armenia and Babylonia were allies
after the armenian royal family were seized by Cyrus of Persia they joined the persians. it was the persian army who captured Babylonia
all the Armenians did was changed sides halfway through (bit like the italians in WW2 but no one is claiming the Italians won the war)
penelope.uchicago.edu...*.html

Their language is an Indo-European, but the land is located in Asia minor. There is no other language like it.

Culturally, historically, and politically, Armenia is considered to be part of Europe.However, its location in the southern Caucasus means that it can also be considered to be at the arbitrary border between Europe and Asia;

en.wikipedia.org...

Armenia has its own Stonehenge, and it is much older than that of Englands. Also all the animals of the zodiac can be found there.

thats almost true
it isn't actually a stone henge which is named because the stones "hang in the air"
and it isn't exactly impressive is it

but apart from that I agree with you 100%

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Are there any sources supporting the original claim of this thread and that this is based on -- or is this a thread that is simply member speculation? Speculation gets moved (as we all know) to Skunk Works.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike
Subsequently, Atlandis is in Mesopotamia. To match, Plato did a mistake. He wanted to write East and for reasons only the ''theory of mistakes'' can grant he wrote West.

I'm sorry that this is a little off topic, but I lurk in this forum a lot without much to add. I notice that you (Dragonlike) ALWAYS type ATLANDIS instead of ATLANTIS... Is that the greek pronunciation?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
nope
ist simply so he can later claim that its an anagram of "At Island" and then claim that some island elsewhere is actually Atlantis
see the fifth post down in this thread where he claims

posted by Dragonlike
Let's make a fake conception and assume that Atlandis is Mesopotamia. An other name of mesopotamia is ''The island''. (I read it somewhere in my history books so do not ask me to blow the dust from them away

this doesnt mean his reasoning is flawed
it just means he has a sense of humour
but not many people have noticed

posted by Hellmut
There are also speculations that the Santorini eruption/explosion in addition to wiping out the Minoans could have "divided the waters" for Moses

simcha jacobi
pfttttt
hes now claiming to have found the body of Jesus is a tomb in Israel
next week no doubt he will have found the holy grail
the week after that it will be the ark of the covenants turn

[edit on 30-3-2007 by Marduk]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
After some serious search in my old books i found that Mesopotamia is a part of land today is called by the Arabs Jezira ("the island"). In fact, its not the region of Mesopotamia per se once the name is refered at northern Iraq and eastern Syria.

I google it and found it
Here

The mistake is all mine for giving too much antiquity at this name. It must have been used when the Arab started spreading around the word fulfilling their Jihad.

The Muslims conquered the lands of Syria and Palestine (634—640),
the lands of Iraq (641).

My speculation here: ''The island'' name should have been given to these lands by a knowledge already known there. The library of Alexandria hasn't been destroyed according to the official statement of the Catholic church in 642 AC.

Originally posted by Whargoul
ALWAYS type ATLANDIS instead of ATLANTIS... Is that the greek pronunciation?

Close your eyes and tell someone to read it to you both ways. Will you notice the difference Atlandis from Atlantis?

Originally posted by Marduk
ist simply so he can later claim that its an anagram of "At Island" and then claim that some island elsewhere is actually Atlantis

Actually, i thought this was Esoteric teacher's part not mine

[edit on 30-3-2007 by Dragonlike]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
more about AlJazira here
en.wikipedia.org...

as I already proved that the term "the island" didn't exist in any original mesopotamian language and you already proved that the name is Islamic in origin I think we're gonna have to write off the claim that Mesopotamia was Atlantis
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - engulf
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - heaven
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - mountain
as you can see from the top left of each of these pages there is nothing in any mesopotamian language that could lead anyone to believe that ATLANTIS or ATLANDIS was ever a word known to inhabitants of this region, and that in fact as there is nothing in the Plato myth about any mountains being englufed or heaven being involved in the story at all, so this imo is a complete non starter

p.s. be very careful whenever you type Al Jazira on any webpage. the F.B.I. and C.I.A. monitors all references with this word especially when it is combined with "bomb" , "nuclear" or "Osama bin Laden"
so be careful you arent followed next time you visit your islamic terrorist deep cover cell when you are in athens plotting an outrage. Allah akbar (thats another one)

[edit on 30-3-2007 by Marduk]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

as I already proved that the term "the island" didn't exist in any original mesopotamian language and you already proved that the name is Islamic in origin I think we're gonna have to write off the claim that Mesopotamia was Atlantis

In fact there hadn't been any claim that Mesopotamia was Atlandis, scroll up to make sure my words are edibly written.

as you can see from the top left of each of these pages there is nothing in any mesopotamian language that could lead anyone to believe that ATLANTIS or ATLANDIS was ever a word known to inhabitants of this region, and that in fact as there is nothing in the Plato myth about any mountains being englufed or heaven being involved in the story at all

I already stated it was a fake assumption for the shake of fiction. Later the discusson directed towards the name ''island'', by you and now you point out again Atlandis. These discussion circles may prohibit the reader from finding a clean spot to read, you know.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

In fact there hadn't been any claim that Mesopotamia was Atlandis, scroll up to make sure my words are edibly written

yum yum

Subsequently, Atlandis is in Mesopotamia.

These discussion circles may prohibit the reader from finding a clean spot to read, you know.

let me remind you this is a totally pointless thread pretending to claim that the idea that Thera was atlandis is a new idea, and wasn't mentioned for the first time over 100 years ago. as such this thread is totaly erroneous, circular and pointless and has in fact already been covered here at ATS on no less than about 100 seperate occaisons.

Let me guess,
you are the smartass, don't you

yup

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join