It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cascades - Disturbing Activity at St Helens & Rainier!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well here's a 4000 year eruption history for the Cascades.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I believe they are having a press conference right now on the "rapid deformation" taking place at MSH.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Oh my ever-lovin' gosh!

MSH's dome has risen an ADDITIONAL 100 feet in the past few days.

Scientists say the deformity is caused by pressure from magma that is fitfully working its way toward the surface and a probable eruption. They say all the events of the last two weeks � earthquakes, harmonic tremors, ash explosions and steaming inside the crater � are likely leading up to such an event.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

scientists are calling this uplifted area "the Loaf".

That's funny. So that's a total of 250 feet in in just over a week. How is it that they are saying that this won't be as bad as the 1980 blast. There must be a lot of pressure for this kind of activity to be taking place.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The whole ring of fire is acting up. There is volcanic and seismic activity from Alaska to Mexico on the US side of the ring. Mt Spurr (alaska) has a large pit on its face caused by the melting of the ice and snow from beneath the surface. And there is a volcano erupting in Mexico. Wish I could remember the name right now. Not to mention the 100+ eartquakes that have happened along the west coast this week. Interestingly enough, the media and govt are still saying, "There's nothing to worry about". I've been keeping an eye on the PNSN for the past two weeks and there has been activity at Mt Ranier, Mt Hood, Three Sisters, Haystack Peak, Dodson Butte, Moon Mtn, etc, along with Mt St Helens. When exactly will "they" give us some credit and tell us the truth???

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't know if this is really something, or if the webicorder on Rockport has just gone blitzo, but check this out:

Webicorder on Rockport

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Ahhhh! It's the end of the world. That would be a long term event if it's not broken.

EDIT:sanctum found something interesting as well. Don't know if this is related.

Originally posted by sanctum
These graphs are going crazy.
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Sanc'.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Okay, they've updated the eruption prediction and are now saying it could be as powerful as the one in 1980.

www.kirotv.com...

oh piffle...

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Rockport, Hatstack, St Helens (obviously) and a few others have been going off the charts for 2 weeks now. Mt Constitution is the only one that hasn't moved at all on PNSN and even that one wiggled today. However all locations on PNSN have increased quite a bit. Even Ranier and Hood. I live in the middle of all this activiy and have been woken up by shakes. Honestly.... I'm packing. Just want to be prepared in case I have to find high ground.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Oh double-doodie holy-crap!

MSH is at a high enough level she's showing up on Rainier again.

MSH Webicorder

Rainier Webicorder

And the "loaf" has risen another 10 to 30 feet in the past 24 hours! AND NOW IT'S STICKING UP HIGHER THAN MSH'S DOME ITSELF!!!!

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 10-9-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I might be wrong on this but I don't think that the other systems are becoming active. This is just that the recorders are feeling the MSH quakes. You've heard the story many times before I'm sure. "The quake could be felt as far away as...". And sometimes large quakes can set off a series of quakes elsewhere. But I think this activity is limited to MSH.

E_T

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
You could see at least Rainier and Adams easily from St. Helens so they're definitely within range of earthquake waves.

[edit on 9-10-2004 by E_T]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I would like to believe the other seismographs are just mirroring Mt St Helens as well. However, if you look at the activity over the past week or so, some show shakes when MSH is active, some when she's quiet. Mt Constitution never even hiccupped through all of this and then yesterday started shaking and hasn't stopped. Haystack and Rockport, at different times, were all over the place and then stopped not in correlation to anything at MSH. And Ranier.... well sometimes it shows activity that seems to be related to MSH but if they're as close as the picture makes it appear, they should be close to identical but they're not. Actually they are only about 100 miles apart. The prophecy says something like "Little Sister will speak. Grandfather will answer. And the land will be swept clean clear to the ocean." Fear and denial aside.... Are we seeing the beginnings of this? How will we know? And when will it be too late?

E_T

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarmoniusOne
However, if you look at the activity over the past week or so, some show shakes when MSH is active, some when she's quiet. Mt Constitution never even hiccupped through all of this and then yesterday started shaking and hasn't stopped.
Well... there haven't been any bigger eruption after St. Helens so there might be need to release some pressure... it's just pretty impossible to say when and where exactly it happens, just like with earthquakes... until "last minute" (at least in geological timescale)

Worst case scenario would be repetition of Mount Mazama.

An interesting variation of a composite volcano can be seen at Crater Lake in Oregon. From what geologists can interpret of its past, a high volcano -- called Mount Mazama -- probably similar in appearance to present-day Mount Rainier was once located at this spot...

The cataclysmic eruption of Mount Mazama 7,700 years ago started from a single vent on the northeast side of the volcano as a towering column of pumice and ash that reached some 30 miles (50 km) high. Winds carried the ash across much of the Pacific Northwest and parts of southern Canada. So much magma erupted that the volcano began to collapse in on itself. As the summit collapsed, circular cracks opened up around the peak. More magma erupted through these cracks to race down the slopes as pyroclastic flows. Deposits from these flows partially filled the valleys around Mount Mazama with up to 300 feet (100 m) of pumice and ash. As more magma was erupted, the collapse progressed until the dust settled to reveal a volcanic depression, called a caldera, 5 miles (8 km) in diameter and one mile (1.6 km) deep.
wrgis.wr.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
So, if Mt Rainier errupts, it will end up looking like Crater Lake?

COOL! Then I wont haVe to drive all the way down to oregon anymore!

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
And the "loaf" has risen another 10 to 30 feet in the past 24 hours! AND NOW IT'S STICKING UP HIGHER THAN MSH'S DOME ITSELF!!!!

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

The scientists say it�s nothing to worry about.
"There is no reason to raise the alert level." (Yeah, right...)

Better do what Valhall says, RUN AWAY!

And stop listen to those "scientists", they obviously don�t know...

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarmoniusOne
The whole ring of fire is acting up. There is volcanic and seismic activity from Alaska to Mexico on the US side of the ring. Mt Spurr (alaska) has a large pit on its face caused by the melting of the ice and snow from beneath the surface. And there is a volcano erupting in Mexico. Wish I could remember the name right now. Not to mention the 100+ eartquakes that have happened along the west coast this week. Interestingly enough, the media and govt are still saying, "There's nothing to worry about". I've been keeping an eye on the PNSN for the past two weeks and there has been activity at Mt Ranier, Mt Hood, Three Sisters, Haystack Peak, Dodson Butte, Moon Mtn, etc, along with Mt St Helens. When exactly will "they" give us some credit and tell us the truth???

i recall once hearing about asteroids that will impact us and we spawned 2 movies off of it and we had all kinds of panic for a day or two and the government openly admitted that they wont tell us next time and the last risk was miscalculted,, sounds the same to me,, downplay the risk, keep going about your lives,,pray nothing happens and if it does claim ignorance

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
St. Helens has "blown". It is being described as "strong, vertical and with projectiles." BUT, Seattle Times states it is another steam plume, not an explosion.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Here's what I don't get.....
This is a link to the PNSN's page of interesting activity which includes seismograms of a M 4.4 eartquake. Compare that with the activity of the past few weeks on Mt Ranier, Mt Constitution, Haystack, and others which had far more activity than the "interesting" seismograms of the M 4.4 earthquake. How is it that there is "nothing to worry about" or "nothing going on"?

www.pnsn.org...

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Seattle Times is reporting that thermal mapping shows parts of the MSHs crater to be "piping hot" (400 to 570 F in some spots but other spots were off the scale so they don't know the true temperature of those hotter areas) and they are estimating magma to be less than a half mile from surface. They also said the bulge on the south dome area has "perforations" where they believe magma has been impenging repeatedly.

and get this:

"What's happened in the last day is the magma is not just pushing up but pushing out. We no longer have just isolated vents. Instead the whole area is pushing up, the gas is the fuse, just oozing out," John Pallister, a U.S. Geological Survey geologist, said at a news conference yesterday afternoon.

Fast-moving magma would cause greater concern because explosive gases wouldn't have time to dissipate. A team in Denver is evaluating air photos, comparing pictures of the changing lava dome to gauge how fast the magma is rising.

"Rapid ascent is very dangerous, whereas if it rises slowly the magma has a chance to degas and then it would just ease its way out," Pallister said.

They've also measured an increase in CO2 emissions (indicative of magma approaching surface). MSH is putting out 2000 tons of CO2/day.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join