It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cascades - Disturbing Activity at St Helens & Rainier!!

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Excuse me...make that SEVEN!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Woa!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
The scientists have said that if she blows again it won't be as bad as 1980's because so much of the crater is gone now. BUT THAT WAS WHEN THE WHOLE MOUNTAIN WASN'T VENTING!!!

Wouldn't more vents be better? I mean, that's more chances for it to let off pressure so it doesn't build into a massive eruption. As far as comparable to 80, at least the odds for a massive landslide of that magnitude are much lower.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
She's blowing out the backside!!!

www.fs.fed.us...

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yeah I saw that earlier. I thought it might just be some indians or hippies having a cookout.

Weird that now it's venting on the backside.

BRAND NEW VENT!

That makes SIX places we've seen vent in the past two weeks. This whole farking mountain is venting.

The scientists have said that if she blows again it won't be as bad as 1980's because so much of the crater is gone now. BUT THAT WAS WHEN THE WHOLE MOUNTAIN WASN'T VENTING!!!

RUN
A
WAY!

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Rainier - Camp Muir

www.pnsn.org...

Rainier - Camp Shurman

www.pnsn.org...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Valhall, now that Rainier is talking again, do you think we will have another big earthquake somewhere? It just seems like too much of a coincidence that he has started growling before all the big quakes.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Rainier - Camp Muir

www.pnsn.org...

Rainier - Camp Shurman

www.pnsn.org...

I'm no geologist, but those don't look good at all. They look almost exactly like St. Helen's webicorders did back when they were talking about harmonic tremors.

For those reading who may now know what I mean by harmonic tremor:

From USGS:

Harmonic Tremor: A continuous release of seismic energy typically associated with the underground movement of magma. It contrasts distinctly with the sudden release and rapid decrease of seismic energy associated with the more common type of earthquake caused by slippage along a fault.

The Forest Service has this page for history of Mt. St. Helens, which contains a link to this
image of a seismograph reading containing St. Helens tremors from 1980. The webicorder links Val posted above aren't anywhere near as dramatic as this, but the long, drawn out readings are similar.

So, I guess the next question that needs to be answered is whether this presents the start of an actual threat, or is Rainier just moving things along per "normal" business?

EDIT:
Wanted to add that this activity has been going on since yesterday afternoon:
www.pnsn.org...
www.pnsn.org...

[edit on 8/1/2005 by MCory1]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Mc Cory 1 Just looked at that link you posted showing Mt St Helens since 1980. Now im no expert at all on this, however I did read science at Uni and noticed something that does not seem to fit in with the rest of the data set. In fact not the usual telltale pattern to indicate something but I think ive noticed a lack of the usual pattern..... As said only just surmising but maybe you and Valhall can see if you notice it too.

Now on the chart there are 50 horizontal reading lines, so I assumed that each one = a 6 month time frame.

Now if we look at the last 4 of the 6 month recordings, and from that assume (all rough conjecture) that in that period the strongest tremors are located in the third 6 month segment which is 3rd from the bottom left of the page. About the first tenth of that period. Now looking at that event it is very small in scale. Therefore ignoring it (or using it as a baseline as the amount of activity threshold to start a new time period observed) a distinctive unusual period seems to observable covering 4 of the Last sixmonths (depend on your link and data) recodings of what I will call
'The Sleeping Giant"

Now looking at those 4 differant 6 month segments it appears to be the most overal low intensity period in the whole data set. This may not seem like much, however it also seems to be much longer than the other patterns low activity I mean by a lot. It also was preceded by what seems to be some of the largest activity. It just does not seem to fit in with the historical record before it.

Its kinda jumping out at me but as I said no expert in this. I could be reading it wrong, making patterns or lack of lol where there are none, and its visual not data but would appreciate any thoughts on this, if 'this' or the 'sleeping super giant' exist.

Regards

Elf.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hi ME...if you are talking about this link

www.fs.fed.us...

I believe you are interpreting it wrong. That is for the year 1980 alone. And furthermore, I believe that is for the single day of the eruption in 1980, but haven't looked deep enough to verify that particular point.

BUT, with that correction stated, you are correct that MSH has settled down in the past couple of months. She seems to be developing a new "heartbeat" which she had before the last significant belch a few months ago, but still not at the frequency she had prior to that activity.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Valhall thanks soo much, thought it was 1980 - 2005 phew lol...

Thanks for your info on all of this, makes for interesting reading and new knowledge.

MischeviouslySourcingDataBeforeInterpretation

Elf

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Okay - it wouldn't surprise me if MSH doesn't do something substantial before the day is out. She's smoking all over the place. And look at the Studebaker webicorder a few minutes ago (starting about 10:10) - that's not good!

www.pnsn.org...

And then also - LOOK AT THE HOLE ON THE FACE OF MSH ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE! That hasn't always been there has it??? And it's smoking! And look up at the top right hand side - the smoke is just flowing down the side of the mountain!

www.fs.fed.us...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Saved a pic to show you what I'm talking about.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Please tell me that that very linear stream of smoke across the front of the mountain in this pic is from wind blowing it off the vent on the left front portion and that it's not a crack that has just opened up all the way across the mountain.

Please tell me that.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Oh my gosh - it's a crack. There's a crack all the way across the mountain. Oh bother. I had a vision back several months ago (first couple of months of this year) which I shared with a couple of people - I pretty sure ww was one of them, that I watched a volcanic mountain split in half and half of the mountain just fall away.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'm hooked into this thing now and cannot believe my eyes.

Is there an alert anywhere? She sure looks volatile right now!!!

[edit on 3-8-2005 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Yep the dome has collapsed as seen here in the photos on page.

standeyo.com...

Maybe the whole mountain will get sucked into the earth.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
There are more and more plumes happening all around the top of MSH.

If you haven't got the link yet, perhaps today might be a good day to get it on your homepage for easy access.

www.fs.fed.us...

you never know...you could be the one to capture the biggest event at MSH in decades.

I believe we're still at a level 2 alert...if it goes to 3...be watching!

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join