It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC will buy Pride

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Great news fight fans, it was just announced today the UFC will purchase the Pride Fighting. This is something that should had happen a long time ago. We can finally get the Fedor vs Liddel fight that we all want to see.

www.lasvegassun.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Something to wet your whistle.

Just in case the video doesn't work

www.youtube.com...

JbT

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is huge.

I predict pay per view events that may break all existing viewing records. As is, they are bringing in huge amount of people.

This is really big for the sport of MMA, maybe the move that puts it into the mainstream for good, and keeps it there. Like Boxing.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JbT
This is really big for the sport of MMA, maybe the move that puts it into the mainstream for good, and keeps it there. Like Boxing.

I think this move pushes them far past the waning popularity of boxing.

Boxing has been KILLED by the lack of a unified title (among other things), while MMA has now pretty much ruled that out completely.

Hopefully the threat of MMA, and the "anyone anywhere" attitude of its fighters, will push some sweeping changes in the sport of boxing.

JbT

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Very true Essedarius!

I agree with you that UFC has passed Boxing in popularity. I guess I what I ment to say is that I always felt there was a possiblity that UFC would be like Reality Shows, in that they would be popular for a while... then loose it all.

But like you said UFC was more popular before this, and now has solidified its position as a world class entertainment that is even more legit due to being able to unify the titles.... Unlike what boxing has been able to do, and has taken a huge hit due to this.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I just got this news in my email today from a MMA forum

Yes! Maybe now we can Wanderlei Silva vs Chuck Liddell! Huge news man, huge news!

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Pride fighters will for the most part destroy UFC fighters. I like the idea of having an even bigger, main source of MMA to have better fight oppurtunities. But now MMA will be exploited even further. Will have even more assholes wanting to be like Chuck Liddell, trying to fight without even being trained. Pride has already gone to UFC rules which is sad, and taking away the purpose of Vale tudo roots where MMA came from.

I am happy to be able to see all the best fighters together, but also mad because all the other changes the sport might go through if it continues to grow this fast.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Zuffa already did, they also own World Extreme Cagefighting

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
Pride fighters will for the most part destroy UFC fighters. I like the idea of having an even bigger, main source of MMA to have better fight oppurtunities. But now MMA will be exploited even further. Will have even more assholes wanting to be like Chuck Liddell, trying to fight without even being trained. Pride has already gone to UFC rules which is sad, and taking away the purpose of Vale tudo roots where MMA came from.

I am happy to be able to see all the best fighters together, but also mad because all the other changes the sport might go through if it continues to grow this fast.

Pride didnt go to the Unified rules, only when theyre fighting in America. Back in Japan the stomps and soccer kicks are allowed.

top topics

join