It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City to take houses over parking tickets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Ok, this is going Waaaaaaaaay too far!

City to confiscate house over unpaid parking tickets

What in the Hell is going on here!? Um, wouldn't this be considered cruel and ununsual punishement for such an offense? Aren't we protected from illegal search and seizure - this certainly appears to be an illegal seizure! Why are our personal properties no longer respected by the establishment?

It's revolution time kiddies! I smell it in the air!

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Wow. I think I've heard it all now. The folks on that council had better watch their collective butts. The citizen of Brookesville are generally the quiet type. By the time they're stirred up enough to act the council will have a hell of time calming it back down...

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It is high time that the people of the wolrd wake up and smell the coffee!!! Our elected officials are NOT here to serve the will of the poeple's who elected them - they are there to serve the coffers of the city and the wealthy who funded their campaigns.

Our system is broken and dying as we speak. People need to put down their beers, step out of their comfort zone and take a stand against this type of tyranny - it is occuring at EVERY LEVEL OF GOVERNMENT around the globe and most sit idly by watching American Idol! FOOLS!

By the time people have realized what is happening, I fear it will be too late. I hope those that sit by and pretend like everything is ok understand that they are already indentured servants to the creditors and their future will not likely be filled with sitcoms and cold beer!

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Well, I guess that people are ok with this then? Or is this just more of the "Well, I don't live there, I don't have parking tickets there so it doesn't affect me" mentality? Frankly I am suprised by the lack of outrage on this board over this issue.

Just remember - if this is permitted in one place a legal precendent will be set to allow for this to proliferate - probably to your community at some point in the future. Think about it....

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Making city laws like this is scary at the least. I would have to organize a mob to drag these people out of office, kick um in the butt and tell them to get the hell out of town. This is an outrage. Lets hope the people of that community dont let it go and just accept it.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I didn't see anything in the actual ordinance that said they'd foreclose on real property, only that a lien would be placed against any the offender may own. That doesn't seem like such a big deal, though I think if the ticket isn't paid within a certain amount of time they should just impound the vehicle until all the civil penalties are paid/successfully appealed. But, like you said, that city voted in their councilmen who make the decisions for their town. Kinda wish we had parking tickets as low as $5 and $15 though, I've never gotten one for less than $70 grr...

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well what are they supposed to do? He didn't pay the fine, and he is thusly in debt. Make an exception because he has a nice news article about him?

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
I didn't see anything in the actual ordinance that said they'd foreclose on real property, only that a lien would be placed against any the offender may own. That doesn't seem like such a big deal, though I think if the ticket isn't paid within a certain amount of time they should just impound the vehicle until all the civil penalties are paid/successfully appealed. But, like you said, that city voted in their councilmen who make the decisions for their town. Kinda wish we had parking tickets as low as $5 and $15 though, I've never gotten one for less than $70 grr...

"The ordinance does not require the city to provide notice to the homeowner at any point so that after ninety days elapse, the city will foreclose."

Right from the article - they will foreclose without notice
What a load of crap!

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Well what are they supposed to do?

How about a bigger fine, jail time if you cant afford it, impound the car, once a car has a certain number of unpaids- boot it, etc. It took me longer to write these suggestions then think of them.

What do you mean, "what are they supposed to do?"

If this passes, and the all mighty city council has better plans for your property then your house, can you imagine the harassment that would follow?

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Why bother with all of the hype and media attention that Emminent Domain is likely to garner. Simply follow someone around whose property you covet, wait for the right opportunity and ticket them. When the fine is 90+ days over-due, simply begin foreclosure proceedings without notifying the homeowner. Sounds like another way to grab up someone's personal property.

What baffles me though - the total lack of response or concern from people in the forums. This is such a NWO technique - start implementing things on a local level where people aren't paying too much attention and set a legal precendent. Once successful begin rolling it out in a larger scale until it becomes codified state law!

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
There are a lot of the folks on this forum only assign "NWO" duty to the Bush Campaign for the most part. They totally ignore the big picture while focusing their attention on their political adversaries.

"Global Warming" is a perfect example of this phenomena. There actually IS a movement that actually USES the term NWO, oh but that's the ultra liberal UN, they wouldn't mean us any harm would they? OMG Bush fired his DA's! He wants to STAY! AAAUUUGGHHH!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
"The ordinance does not require the city to provide notice to the homeowner at any point so that after ninety days elapse, the city will foreclose."

Right from the article - they will foreclose without notice
What a load of crap!

Right, the article says it, but the ordinance does not. However, the ordinance does say that if the person loses an appeal and does not pay the penalties, the city's legal costs, etc. after 90 days the property the lien is attached to may be foreclosed. Having already lost an appeal means the person already knew he was in trouble. I actually missed that part of the ordinance my first read-through.

That said, I still just think they ought to impound the car and just sell it after 90 days (at least the person will notice if his car is missing, heh heh) and leave real property out of it. The city must have had quite a problem with delinquent motorists, I'm curious - did you come across this article because you're from Brooksville, and if so, is there any interesting backstory to it? Like a person having recently died there because somebody blocked an emergency driveway or fire-lane or something?

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone

Originally posted by Johnmike
Well what are they supposed to do?

How about a bigger fine, jail time if you cant afford it, impound the car, once a car has a certain number of unpaids- boot it, etc. It took me longer to write these suggestions then think of them.

What do you mean, "what are they supposed to do?"

If this passes, and the all mighty city council has better plans for your property then your house, can you imagine the harassment that would follow?

They tried the bigger fine. All the person has to do is pay it.

new topics

top topics

join