It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Agni mk 2 a Maneuverable warhead?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
hey i found this on wiki :

Agni is unlike long-range missiles developed by western missiles where the RV is a passive ballistic load, whose accuracy depends on the launching vehicle's exact insertion into the sub-orbital trajectory. A large inaccuracy associated with the first generation RV, involved spinning the RV for greater stability during re-entry. Second generation western missiles were mostly MIRV (Multiple Independently targetable Re-entry Vehicle) and the accuracy was greatly improved by the payload bus with HAM velocity correction package for more accurate sub-orbit insertion.

It also allowed individual MIRV payloads to impart different velocities, so that each can be independently targeted to a different target, albeit in nearby vicinity of each other. As before the RV continued to be passive and purely ballistic. The Agni-RV Mk.2 is more advanced than the western RVs, because it embodies proposition, navigation and control all the way to the target. The RV re-enters at an altitude of 100 km, at a shallow angle, with a gliding trajectory [38].

en.wikipedia.org...-Entry_Vehicle:_Agni_RV-Mk.2
------------------

... very interesting .... after russia , india is deploying a missile with manuvering warhead .... '

i think its to possibly counter the chinese ABM system, do you think my conclusion is correct

mod edit: added external quote tags, cut down length of quote to within limits and corrected title

Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 27-3-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Chinese ABM?
You mean the FT-2000+ S-300PMUs?

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Chinese ABM?
You mean the FT-2000+ S-300PMUs?

possibly , as chinese are deploying tactical lasers(to be used against taiwan forces) and indigenously made ABM systems possibly to counter indian nukes ....

this is what i think .....

[edit on 27-3-2007 by vK_man]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by vK_man

i think its to possibly counter the chinese ABM system, do you think my conclusion is correct

Most likely they are the two "Asian giants" and future superpowers

Its the same reason the US and Soviets developed this tech. Such MIRV systems can overwhelm ABM systems and they can be created at a fraction of the cost ABMs would have to spend to keep up. Such MIRV systems can also make use of dummy warheads to vastly increase targets with a small increase in cost.

It really just comes down to a number game then.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
only difference being India currently does not possess MIRV capability.
I guess this is a single RV with manueverability.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

still a big achievement for us indians , after russia , we are second in deploying manverable warheads .......

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

True but its not really a huge step IMO to go from a single warhead with that ablility to multiple ones. I mean once you can build one you could just scale up your proven rocket tech to carry multiple ones.

If they really want to defeat a ABM system such MIRVs are the logical course of action in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

True but its not really a huge step IMO to go from a single warhead with that ablility to multiple ones. I mean once you can build one you could just scale up your proven rocket tech to carry multiple ones.

If they really want to defeat a ABM system such MIRVs are the logical course of action in my opinion.

please , we indians have limited resources , we are not USA and CERTAINLY NOT USSR WHICH WAS EXTENSIVELY PREPARED FOR THERMNONUCLEAR WAR....

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
limited resources? You have a very large nation, a Billion plus people many of which are well educated. If India wants to develop MIRVs like those the US and Russia Developed to counter any Chinese ABM system I think its well within their ability.

India shares a land border with a country that can field the largest army the world has ever seen and soon to be the most resource hungry the world has ever seen. Some people estimate that within 20 years we will need another whole Earth to meet Chinas growing resource demand if it grows like it has been.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
limited resources? You have a very large nation, a Billion plus people many of which are well educated. If India wants to develop MIRVs like those the US and Russia Developed to counter any Chinese ABM system I think its well within their ability.

India shares a land border with a country that can field the largest army the world has ever seen and soon to be the most resource hungry the world has ever seen. Some people estimate that within 20 years we will need another whole Earth to meet Chinas growing resource demand if it grows like it has been.

limited resources? You have a very large nation, a Billion plus people many of which are well educated.

see , somethings , india has excellent human resources , but does not have large natural resources like china , nor imperial power like that of USA , nor monster capability(in terms in tech or resources)
like that of USSR to synchronise itself...

india (check the defence budget ) with such limited resources has managed a feat .... despite being a third world nation , some years back

our human resources are creating a path on which we now march to become a superpower of future

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
all this aside MIRVing missiles isn't a joke; Only the Americans, Russians and French have an independant MIRV capability

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

all this aside MIRVing missiles isn't a joke; Only the Americans, Russians and French have an independant MIRV capability

I thought the UK, Israel and China also had that capability

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The UK has Tridents which does not make the capability indegenous.

China is reported to have a MIRV program for a long time now but no reports of operational MIRV missiles.
The new JL-2 SLBMs is to have MIRV capabilities(3-4 RV per missile)

Israel is rumored to have a N-tipped cruise missile capability if anything at all.
Thats about it. Everything else they can or cannot do with ballistic missiles is pure conjecture; something nations like Japan, Brazil and maybe even Iran can do.

join