It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany Plans to Build New Coal PLants Despite Global Warming

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Lignite also known as brown coal, produces more amounts of CO2 than black coal. Black coal is of a higher grade than brown coal.

Because of its low energy density, brown coal is inefficient to transport and is not traded extensively on the world market compared to higher coal grades. It is often burned in power stations constructed very close to any mines, such as in Australia's Latrobe Valley. Carbon dioxide emissions from brown coal fired plants are generally much higher than for comparable black coal plants.

en.wikipedia.org...

And from the second link you gave.

Plans for world's first pollution-free power plant also unveiled
By James Fuller
Washington File Staff Writer
Washington - U.S. officials have announced a public -private effort to construct a prototype electric and hydrogen production plant and the formation of a new international forum to advance carbon capture and storage technologies as ways to reduce the world's heat-trapping greenhouse gas emissions.

www.gcrio.org...

A hydrogen plant would exchange CO2 for water vapor, so a plant like that all it would do is change CO2 emissions for water vapor emissions. Remember that water vapor is a worse greenhouse gas than CO2, it retains twice the amount of heat than CO2 does.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Well it can be good or bad.

I fyou just build coal firing plants, than yes they are bad for the
environment.

However, technology exists to make clean coal plants, that is the CO2
is not put into the atmosphere, rather it is contained, and can be dealt
with in the cleanest way possible.

They need to start going after china. China has no such restrictions on their coal power plants. Even though I think the claims that global warming being man made is bogus, pollution is something that isnt so bogus. China is the worlds largest polluter of industrialized pollution. China has no safe guards in taking preventative measures to curb its pollution on its factorys, because that would cut down on their profits. china is becoming a ecological wasteland because of it.

[edit on 093030p://5704pm by semperfoo]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Lignite also known as brown coal, produces more amounts of CO2 than black coal. Black coal is of a higher grade than brown coal.

I am not sure if you were addressing that to me Muaddib since you used no name, however Luscars plants in Estevan have overcome that problem of emissions. In Dickinson ND Vally power (Name Might be different) [They all are in the Garrison Reservoir area] also have overcome the problem and that plant or I should says plants in that area service ND's whole central region i.e. North to the Border and South to the border, east to Janesville but I am not sure how far west assume it might be the Montana border???

The only real problem the plants face is transportation however that has been solved by a railroad around the mines.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join