It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wash. State to Test 'Enhanced' Licenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
AP Top News

(NewsDay.com)-SEATTLE -- High-security driver's licenses aimed at letting U.S. citizens return from Canada without a passport could be adopted elsewhere if Washington state's experiment works, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said.

www.newsday.com...

The pilot project, signed into law by Gov. Chris Gregoire and formally approved by Chertoff on Friday, calls for Washington to begin issuing new "enhanced" driver's licenses in January.

www.newsday.com...

They will look much like conventional driver's licenses, but will be loaded with proof of citizenship and other information that can be easily scanned at the border.

www.newsday.com...

Radio frequency ID chips and other advanced security features also would make the enhanced licenses less vulnerable to forgery. At about $40, they also would be less expensive than a $97 passport.

www.newsday.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
And so begins the 'tax by the mile' plan.
Mark my words.

Nice find man, Im gonna make you my new friend!

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I like it.. easy.. however..

If illegal alliens are issued them.. it makes it entirely pointless.. if not dangerous..

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I read about this yesterday.

Personally I'm all for it, it was'nt long ago that we only needed to show
a drivers licence or ID card (for those of us who don't have a drivers
license) to cross the border, but with the new laws you have to have
alot of stuff, so, unless the laws and restrictions are reversed, I'm all
for this.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You forgot the part about the rfid chips. I don't know about you but I'm not gonna carry any rfid chips. I am glad these are not yet manditory.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This is almost identical to the national ID card (real ID act) that was supposed to be carried out in May of 2008. I dont think this one is going through as currenty 30+ states oppose it. But if you target people state by state the transision would be much easier. Papers please!

No way I accept any card with an rfid chip in it (if I know the chip is there as they are now so small they look like dust).

new topics

top topics

join