It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a snipe, anyway!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yeah, I heard the word "snipe" before, but, what is it, cryptid-wise?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
A real snipe is a very real type of bird.

The snipe you look for in a "Snipe hunt" is like the boogeyman. It's whatever the guy telling you to find it wants it to be. It's not a serious cryptid at all.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. Thread closed, I guess?

Mods, you can close this down now.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
OkamiZaku, God created Google and Wikipedia for a reason. Not that we don't encourage threads, but try and add a little more meat to the bones of your thread, so we can have a nice debate or discussion going.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a "Snipe".

It is merely a fictitious bird used to play a joke on an unsuspecting victim. Sending someone out on a "Snipe Hunt" is just the premise to get them to run around in the woods for hours looking for something that's not there.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
If anyone offers you a pillowcase, a small mirror, and invites you to go out in to the woods after dark, you have been invited to a Snipe hunt.
Don't do it!

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
There is no such thing as a "Snipe".

It is merely a fictitious bird used to play a joke on an unsuspecting victim. Sending someone out on a "Snipe Hunt" is just the premise to get them to run around in the woods for hours looking for something that's not there.

Actually, it's a variety of bird related to sandpipers and plovers

This is the Common Snipe. Cute li'l bugger, huh?

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
A Snipe is a very fast moving bird from India. When the British Imperislist used to occupy India they'd have contests to see who could shoot the bird. Whoever did the best earned the title "Sniper", and that's where that term comes from.

When rednecks turned it into a game of fool your cousin and ditch him in the woods is beyod me

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I believe this bird is also known for it's
rapid fluttering of it's wings when protecting
it's nest. The sound is a loud 'brrrrrrr' noise
as it swoops about the possible nest-destroyer.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The elusive gutter snipe:

Impoverished and quick footed street boys are often referred to as snipes.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
"anxietydisorder" comes closest to the meaning of snipe

if you've got the time & inclination
you yourself can decipher the "anagram" of SNIPE

hint...the hidden word/meaning ends in 'S'

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Don't ever get conned into going "snipe" hunting.
They'll have you out in the woods all night looking for something that isn't even defined.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
There are many things, OkamiZaku, that should never be sought for.

I see a box of grid squares in your future.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

This is the Common Snipe. Cute li'l bugger, huh?

Are those related to woodcocks? I had a woodcock for a day as a kid, it had hurt itself flying into a window and couldn't pull itself together for a while.

We penned it up for a day where the cats couldn't get it and let it go. It looked a lot like that.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Don't listen to what any of these people are telling you, they don't know what they are talking about! Come to Kansas, I'll take you out and show you one. Crazy fast critters, but you can proly catch one! Kinda look like little feathered dragons! Oh and bring a pillow case and a small mirror... I'll drive and bring the beer!

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
the snipe is a bird or if someone has been watching too much camp lazlo its a weird bird thing with antlers that says snipe

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by whargoul
Don't listen to what any of these people are telling you, they don't know what they are talking about! Come to Kansas, I'll take you out and show you one. Crazy fast critters, but you can proly catch one! Kinda look like little feathered dragons! Oh and bring a pillow case and a small mirror... I'll drive and bring the beer!

Yeah... don't buy it. I'm warning you!!
Whargoul, you sound like someone who has learned from experience.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
WalkingFox is correct. Snipes are a family of birds found throughout the world. Most species of snipes have evolved to elude their predators with fast erratic flights, seemingly instantaneous changes of direction, and sudden explosive bursts of speed. This is why they are reputed so difficult to hunt and anyone who can successfully take one down with a single shot from a firearm is called a 'sniper' and revered as a marksman.

Hard to even take pictures of. They are found around here, commonly near water and wet meadows/marshes. About the time you see one and get your camera out they are gone.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Snipe is also a term used on ebay. It's a way to be the final bidder in the last seconds....i.e. "That bastard sniped my Adidas!"

I believe it comes from the same derivation as Sniper.

from dictionary.com:

snipe (noun)

3. a shot, usually from a hidden position.

snipe (verb)

5. to shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed or distant position: The enemy was sniping from the roofs.

Thus, Sniper = one that snipes....or:

sniper (noun)

1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

top topics

join