It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving young people an opportunity they would not otherwise have

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'd like to use this video to introduce a man named Gerald Chertavian.

Please leave your thoughts, and ideas regarding this man, and his program.

I've worked closely with the program, and can tell from personal experience that it can turn lives around, and do a lot for communities, given the chance.

Please have a look.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'd like to give a basic breakdown of how the program works.

Students have to pass a rigorous admissions process to be admitted. This process is not to observe intelligence or existing skills, but to test the student's commitment to succeeding in the program, and life.

Once in, the student has class every day from 8am to 3:30pm for six months, earning a stipend of 400+ dollars per week. Classes include technical training, computer skills, professional skills and business etiquette. Much the way any school operates, these classes have homework, presentations, and class assignments. If a student fails to hand in an assignment, comes late to class, or in any other way does not live up to expectations, they lose points. These points translate to dollars at the end of the week. This is the incentive to stay on track.

After the initial six months of training, the students pass on to internships provided by local businesses, and companies. Current partners include Fidelity investments, CVS, GTech, Citizens bank, and many others. the progression to the internship also leads to a pay increase. Again, incentive for the student to join, and maintain while in the program.

Bonuses are issued for exemplary work, as well as a prize at the end of the program for students 2 who have shown true excellence and leadership abilities.

Please, if you live in the NY, Boston MA, Providence RI, or Washington DC area, check out yearup.org... and try to get someone who you think could benefit involved.

I'm currently mentoring a student in the Providence class, and have seen him go from fairly undisciplined to a respectable young man in a matter of months. He's actually got a good chance of being hired from his internship, and having a career, rather than just bagging groceries at Stop&Shop, or selling drugs.

Check it out

Ras

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I've not watched the video yet, although I do intend to, but it sounds exactly like the program I am currently involved with. Each detail seems to be replicated of the "Jump Start" program that I am volunteering and facilitating in.

Seems like the almighty dollar is the only thing that can overcome this apathy.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
That is incredible! I am so impressed. I'm going to make a donation. I'd rather be right there and be involved, but I'll do what I can from here to support such a great program.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Ras.

/flagged

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thanks for your posts guys. Too often people drive past the world on their way home. They never stop and think to do anything about it.

Chis said it very well,

Sometimes the all mighty dollar is the only thing that can overcome this apathy. Unfortunately too few who have the all mighty dollar care enough to do anything about it.

Thanks for flagging this BH, the more the merrier.

If you can, get the word out. We need more programs like Year Up and Jump Start. Otherwise we all lose.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Pay it forward at it's ultimate...

Nice find Raso!!!

BRAVO

Semper

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Great way to get the word out!
wats to ya Rasobasi!!!

Shows the best way to make a change is to get involved.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
What a wonderful program! Wish we had one here in Tennessee.
I'm giving you a WATS Ras for bringing this to my attention.
Semper - Hi! I like the way you put it: Pay it Forward at its best.
For kids like this they really need to have just one person who takes
an interest in them and can offer some good guidance. That 1 on 1 relationship can change a young person's life forever.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Nice, Ras, VERY nice.

I'm going to check into similar programs down here in big Tex. Do you happen to know of any offhand down here?

I've been thinking of other ways to help kids who are slated for failure (residents of the hood), besides the classes and after school programs I am/have been involved with. Still haven't figured out a way to pass on knowledge of the real I have to these kids, though...I'll figure something out, I guess.

Keep up the great work, Ras. It's good to hear that you saved a young brother from the street life.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Just watched the video.

TRULY amazing. The themes in it are stuff I've been saying for a while here. You take away barriers to success and disparities in opportunities in society, and ANYONE can be a success. This guy is a prime example.

It's just a shame that so many others won't get these oppurtunities. Nevertheless, it's still a highly positive start.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I'd also like to add that if you own a business in the NY, Boston MA, Providence RI, or Washington DC area, you might want to look into whether a Year Up intern would be right for you. These students are intelligent and hard working, and work for cheap.

Plus, you'll be giving back to the community.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Every time this goes back to the top of the recent posts list, it gets more views, and hopefully more support.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
We had a Cadet program at my old department in which "at risk" teens would come and work at the department in a variety of positions for the summer...

They rode with officers on community police assignments and assisted in the parades, community programs etc...

They would also learn filing systems, (Real World) computers and other good life skills....

The children are our future and we must do all we can to prepare them and help them succeed..

Semper

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I just went to the graduation ceremony for the most recent class of Year Up students. They're doing great. 83% of the class has landed a full time position (including the student I was mentoring), and they're getting a lot of help from the surrounding community.

This is a thread bump to remind anyone living in the NY, DC, Boston, or Providence areas to help out. Donate, guest speak, mentor or just recommend this program to someone who you think could benefit from it.

C'mon people, that's what we're here for

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Awsome work Raso.

More people should see this... SO BUMP!

I know the various social sevice NGO's in HK run programmes to help youngsters get a leg up, but I've heard of nothing this positive. I'll give the website to one of the guys at the local Y (I teach English classes there), to have a look for some ideas that could work over here.

Excellent.

MonKey.

top topics

join