It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Origins of Islam - A Control Mechanism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The most important stages in [Islam's] history were characterised by the assimilation of foreign influences. ...Its founder, Muhammad, did not proclaim new ideas. He did not enrich earlier conceptions of man 's relation to the transcendental and infinite. ...The Arab Prophet's message was an eclectic composite of religious ideas and regulations. The ideas were suggested to him by contacts, which had stirred him deeply, with Jewish, Christian, and other elements.

Ignaz Goldziher

visit source for full article.

Ibn Warraq's book "Why I am Not a Muslim" is most likely an interesting read. You can read chapter 2, The Origins of Islam, for free and see what you believe about Islams past. From what I gather by reading this Muhammad created Islam as a means to control the people. It does seem that this the purpose of Islam. Everyone is kept under strict laws and rules where they are not to question what their leaders ask them to do.

I don't know about the rest of the book, but this chapter was an eye-opener for me. There are some interesting details in it. For instance the sacred black stone that they kiss may not even be the original one.

Have fun reading The Origins of Islam.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
All three of the Abrahamic faiths have at the very least, if not designed, have been turned into control mechanisms. I really don't see your point here. All three religions basically state that everyone must believe just as they do, if not, then there will be "dire" consequences. Threats are the ultimate form of control over the masses.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If you wish you could broaden this to all religions, but I found it interesting that this religion didnt' seem to have it's own history, other than that of borrowing bits and pieces from here and there to create what it is today.

As far as the dire consequences, only Muslims belive in handing out the consequences right now in the present time. The other 2 belive that the consequences will be handed out by God and not man. Islam has been constructed so that penalties are right here and now. It puts a lot more emphasis on punishment right now to curb the free-will of the people. If it were really a choice left up to the individual then wouldn't they wait and let Allah sort things out? No, they're all about controlling people in the right here and now.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Dbates, well, I agree with you somewhat.

When you say that it can be applied to all religions,my answer is, yes and no. The Abrahamic religions have always been, until recently for Christians, about spreading their faiths by the sword. Hindus don't do that. Buddhists don't do that. So, while it is true that all religions can be and have been used as a mechanism of control, I think we need to think about methods here.

As far as what you said in your second paragraph, I pretty much agree. Islam seems to think that the only "salvation" for the world is to have everyone living under stringent codes of conduct. Much of this ideology has been inherited from the Old Testament and transposed to the Koran.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

new topics

top topics

join