It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

barcodes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:25 PM
link   
i heard somewhere that every barcode on every product ever made has the number 6 hidden in the first last, and middle spots. by hidden i mean that the barcode is there, but the 6's aren't shown at the bottom like the rest of the numbers? any info?

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I used to work at a grocery store and aside from produce I worked in the "office" with the product databases and sometimes before inventory when we had to update all the products by hand, (pull one of every kind of product, before the store was linked with corporate), I didn't see anything like that. Coming from experience with grocery products I can say there was no sign of "secret" digits

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I have a scanner that interprets barcodes, and software which writes barcodes. This isn't true. I've scanned TONS of products (it was a lot of fun when I first got it
), and none of them had a 6 in the first, last, and middle places. I definatelly would have noticed.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'd love to get one of those "Scannerz" hand-held game thingies, that let you scan stuff and see a monster or something. I think that has got to be one of the neatest things made! And here I am, 31... gotta tell you something.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I used to be an Account Exective for a subsidiary of Catalina Marketing (ticker POS = point of sale).

Catalina Marketing had/has alot to do with the hidden content contained in barcodes and the reporting of said information.

They are a database information and advertising company that creates household profiles based on purchases. Any 'loyalty' club you sign up for at a grocery store, that scans your card before the items feeds this info to Catalina. Your reciepts are custom printed with advertising and coupons on the back based on what you bought in the last year.

Categories are sold en mass. Philip Morris for example may own all the info on tobacco purchasers...but use it to give you Kraft cheese coupons. Whenever a UPC is scanned it goes to Catalina.

You'll notice little convenience stores 'don't play' and still use price tags. If you don't want junk mail, phone calls, etc... don't join loyalty clubs or shop at large chains. It has nothing to do with loyalty.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
I'd love to get one of those "Scannerz" hand-held game thingies, that let you scan stuff and see a monster or something. I think that has got to be one of the neatest things made! And here I am, 31... gotta tell you something.

LMFAO!

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I found a post awhile back about how to crack barcodes, if I can find it again, I'll post it.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I have a scanner that interprets barcodes, and software which writes barcodes. This isn't true. I've scanned TONS of products (it was a lot of fun when I first got it
), and none of them had a 6 in the first, last, and middle places. I definatelly would have noticed.

Ok, so you didn't see any " 666 " when you was scanning these barcodes. So explain why I saw the " 666 " when I did exactely what you did. I worked for a micro-ship company, and we were using the promis software and a scanning system.
Just 4 the fun, I scanned my pen and OH SURPRISE, I saw a "666". The first line, the middle line and the last ines were a " 6 ".
Of course, I scanned a tons of other things ( cigarettes box, pen, coke cans, my protective suit barcode, my cellular phone battery barcode...etc..etc...In fact, I allmost scanned everything who had a barcode. All of these items had a " 666 ".
May be your scanner has been programmed to don't show up the first, middle and last line ?

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
If you want to see the sixes in barcodes simply look at the numbers under many of the barcodes on items in the store. They give the key. A barcode is simply a numbering system made up of lines instead of symbols. These lines are quite simple to interpret unless the barcode is compressed. Most barcodes are not compressed on your standard grocery store items. This being the case if you see a 6 in the numbers under the barcode, you can find out what symbol a 6 is. It is two thin lines. Now unless a barcode is compressed you will find those two thin lines in beginning, middle, and end of any barcode. For some reason they chose the number 6 symbol as the reference key for the barcode. Remember these things have been around for a long time and the technology it is based on was quite primative by our standards. This being the case when barcodes were first rolled out the readers needed reference symbols to confirm that they were reading the number set correctly. The symbol they chose was the same as the symbol for 6 thus each barcode has a 6 in the beginning, a 6 in the middle, and a six at the end of the code. So don't ever get tatooed with a barcode, as if anyone would want to do that anyway.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I read about that before as well. I don't have much information on it but here is a link if you want.
mindcontrolforums.com...

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by glan]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
speaking of barcodes, who wants to barcode themselves?

www.barcodeart.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
i work in a grocery store, and after reading this thread, went into work and checked out the barcodes. not all of them have the "666" in them. some do some don't. I got some pics of them, if anyone wants to see them......

so the "666" on EVERY barcode is BS!

top topics

join