It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British PM warns Iranians only have a few days

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   

www.telegraph.co.uk

Blair: Iran must free naval prisoners in days
By Christopher Hope, Whitehall Editor
Last Updated: 1:53am BST 26/03/2007

Tony Blair warned Iran last night that it has only a few days to find a diplomatic solution to the escalating crisis over the 15 missing British sailors and Marines

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
It is now up to Iran to decide if it wants war with the West or if it wants to be a responsible nation. I really hope that Iranians revolt, march, protest, riot or something that cause the government to wake up before it is too late.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
They had better give them back soon, or I"m sure there'll be hell to pay. Blair is no Jimmy Carter if they're looking for another 1979 hostage crisis. And I'm sure if Britain decides to take any action they'll receive 100% support from the U.S.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
They had better give them back soon, or I"m sure there'll be hell to pay. Blair is no Jimmy Carter if they're looking for another 1979 hostage crisis. And I'm sure if Britain decides to take any action they'll receive 100% support from the U.S.

You can count on the US being in if the UK goes to war over their hostages. I don't know what Iran is thinking, if they provoke conflict their whole country will be carpetbombed to oblivion. Hopefully they'll give the hostages back because I for one don't think we need another war in this world right now.

**edit for spelling.

[edit on 3/26/2007 by ShAuNmAn-X]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Wait.. isn't that just what the powers that be want to happen? This has been building up over the past 3.5 years. Why else does the US still have a standing army in Iraq, if not to invade Iran? I've said it before, and I'm saying it again; I believe that our army is there to "restructure", for lack of a better term, the Middle East to a more western ideal.

Does that make it right? Hell no, but it's what I think is going on. Why else has there not been a systematic withdrawal from the area, along with a relinquishing of control to the regional powers that are already there? It all smells fishy to me. And honestly, it makes me itch with anxiety because I don't know what's going to happen next.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
This has happened before.

Three years ago, eight British servicemen were detained by Iran after a similar confrontation.

Former Marine Scott Fallon was one of those captured.

He told BBC Radio Five Live he was subjected to mock executions and accused of spying.

"They just wanted to know our mission - why we were there, why we were in Iran.

"We had no answers to these questions. Our mission was in Iraq, where we were... I suppose the same thing will be going on with these guys.

Source.

They were paraded on television, and released.

It's always the same here on ATS. Remember the North Korean missile tests? OMG It's WW3! Same when they fizzled a nuke. Seems to me, posters here actually want it to happen.

I want to see these troops released as quickly as possible. I expect they will be. Iran will, no doubt, be feeling pressure from all sides. To do anything other than release them unharmed would be suicide.

[edit on 26/3/07 by Implosion]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Heh, I'm just saying what I see happening. To be truthfully honest, I want to see them released right now, but that doesn't mean that it's going to happen.

Always, ALWAYS take the path to peace, as it's the way that's best for all involved. Besides, I never said anything about WW3. If we wanted to be technical, we've been in the middle of a self-proclaimed World War (per President Bush) now for about 6 years.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I've read elsewhere that the Brit. sailors admitted to being on Iran waters...either way you can't fall into this Us vs. Them battle mode, when you do that you've already lost. More war will not help, it'll hurt all of us....

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Heh, I'm just saying what I see happening. To be truthfully honest, I want to see them released right now, but that doesn't mean that it's going to happen.

The Iranians will milks this to the extreme, also they will try and use these servicemen/woman as hastage pawns n trying to get back their so called diplomats who are being detained by the USA....

Only difference it is not the UK who are detaining thier diplomats... So negotiation on that part is a no go area...

I jusy hope that Blair has the Backbone that Mrs Thatcher had when she went to war with Argentina over the Falklands.........

I've read elsewhere that the Brit. sailors admitted to being on Iran waters...either way you can't fall into this Us vs. Them battle mode, when you do that you've already lost. More war will not help, it'll hurt all of us....

Which it being denied both by the UK Gov and also the Ships Commodore, he can be seen to dispute on live interview either @ Sky News or the BBC or any other UK news network..... And it is speculative weither those sailors have admitted they were or not in Iranian waters.....

This is not Us V Iran, this is a British Problem, (wish some people on these threads would get that through their heads), and we will deal with it in our way... I think that the Uk has shown some restraint so far, from openly threatnen Iran, (read in the small print or between the lines)....

[edit on 26-3-2007 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
This is not Us V Iran, this is a British Problem, (wish some people on these threads would get that through their heads), and we will deal with it in our way... I think that the Uk has shown some restraint so far, from openly threatnen Iran, (read in the small print or between the lines)....
[edit on 26-3-2007 by spencerjohnstone]

Your right,

But forgive me... but what % chance is it, that the US will not be involved?

1%?

.4-1%

you might as well put that away as almost CERTAIN, that what ever the british do, it will be in close agreement with the US, with SUPPORT from the US.. and wit hthe US also joining in.

Yes, British soliders have been taken.. but they all went to the gulf under a flag of 'coalition' what happens to one happens to another.

Im more worried about the fact that no one has yet proven WHERE they were.
Weve given them DAYS to work it out.. or 'else'

The US and Britan have enough of a military 'advantage' on paper, and what we know about to wipe the floor with them.

You dont pick a fight with a bully... who's going to put you in hospital no matter what you throw at him....
Its either a false flag.. which is difficult being Iran are playing along with it.
Or, Iran have something very sneaky and very effective that they arent scared to use.

think about it,
Some of you hear are already planning your victory parade clothes for 'after' we wipe the floor with Iran...

If that were indeed the REALITY in Iran.... they wouldnt be doing what there doing.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
By the way we British are there under the UN orders and we are UN troops so Iran's kidnapped UN soldiers too, and the EU is getting involved so don't just expect the UK to take action when it happens it will be UK, EU probably US and Israel too, deff UK and EU, oh and look at Frances loverly aircraft carrier already over there too along with all other ships fro various allies, Iran better hurry up and hand back the soldiers, and also what Iran's down is well out of order as we are not at WAR with Iran and denying prisoner access is bad too as even during war you would grant access to prisoners and as i said we are not even at war with them YET....... will be soon though i reckon.

Also if Iran think the UK and USA are far stretched they better think again, and also we will have the EU with us on this too so add all EU country's France, Germany, and others too, so plenty troops and armour to go around as well as planes and cruise missiles.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Lets hope bth sides can agree & come to a peaceful solution to this. Hope all sides think peace

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I cant see diplomacy resolving this situation. Russia and China wont want to upset there political friend of convenience and risk losing there influence in the region. Iran will probably release the hostages just in time to avoid any kind of military action having had them long enough to expolit them for propganda value.

A lot depends on how quickly the military options come to the table.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Let us say that Iran releases them before military action. What should be done to make sure this doesn't happen for a third time?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus
Let us say that Iran releases them before military action. What should be done to make sure this doesn't happen for a third time?

At this stage I would say.
Change the rules of engagement to ensure that personal cant defend themselves in future. This may also deter Iran from pulling another stunt like this one.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Looks like China's President is in Moscow to discuss energy, trade,

I wonder how much time will be spent discussing their "redheaded stepchild" Iran........

Chinese President In Moscow For Energy, Trade Talks

MOSCOW, March 26, 2007 (RFE/RL) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao began a three-day visit to Moscow today aimed at bolstering bilateral economic relations and international cooperation.

The main focus of his visit, during which Hu will meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin, is likely to be energy.....

.......Although an energy deal is likely to be the focus of talks between Hu and Vladimir Putin, the two presidents are also expected to discuss global security matters, including Iran's and North Korea's nuclear ambitions.

Hu and Putin are also likely to discuss military issues. China participated in joint military exercises with Russia, its largest arms supplier, for the first time last year. The two leaders have also argued for a "multipolar world" that would diminish the dominate influence of the United States

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
There is very little chance that Britain will retaliate military against Iran over this issue. For starters the British have bugger all forces in the North of Iraq with which to do anything. The majority of British troops are in the South around Basra.

Tony Blair's grip on power in Britain is tenuous to say the least. If he tries to throw British forces at the Iranians his government will definitely fall.

This will come down to a battle of PR and spin, which Tony Blair and his advisers truly excel at. Blair does not care about the safety of these captured soldiers, only in that it embarrasses Britain. Blair will try to make Iran look ruthless, scheming and deceitful in the eyes of the World with this stand off.

Iran's only option is to show the World they are the bigger nation and to hand these troops back over to Britain with a promise of an investigation and an international rebuke for crossing into Iranian territorial waters.

The only conflict here will be between who gets onto the international stage first.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Here's a little fuel for your fire. This is conspiracy theory stuff if I ever saw it.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

A few days until... what? What's he going to do? Send Cherie the Gorgon round to turn them all to stone?

Sometimes, for all her faults, I wish we still had Maggie Thatcher in power. She knew how to deal with stuff like this. Phoney Tony and his boneless crew haven't got a clue.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Iraq is now calling for the release as well. It probably won't be long before the Sunni Arab states make the same demand.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Then this interesting bit of news and in a way a warning.

JPost.com » Iran » Article

Mar. 26, 2007 10:12 | Updated Mar. 26, 2007 10:29
'US sailors would have shot at Iranians'
By JPOST.COM STAFF

www.jpost.com...

So US forces don't plan on letting them pull this stunt again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join