It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real ATS Chat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well thx alot for raising the Postlimit to 200. 53 to go, once again.

Some people here also have a real life, you know.
And the problem isn't solved by simply raising the Postlimit every now and then.

A Chat needs to have options to regulate itself, by means of Operators, for instance.

The current ATS Chat System is pretty slow and useless anyway.

Why not use a Common IRC-Network/Channel with an Optional Browser Frontend? After all there are few Channels out there for "Critical" people and it would be good for them to meet like-minded people by searching for Irc-Channels, No?

Seriously. Don't exagerate with the "Control" and stuff. It should be open. Every flourishing subculture is "open". I talk out of experience.

Control is what the government does to restrict possibilities and freedom.

Self-Regulation is the Key.

And I'd also volunteer as an experienced Irc-Op in this case. ;]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The post limit exists to make sure new members, who may abuse it, have
to prove that they are mature enough, ro atleast participatory enough to
use chat.

We have seen the negativity of letting new member go into chat, it has caused many bad situations, and a lower level of maturity than is
acceptable.

Personally I think it should be 500.
Even with an active life, it does not take that long to get to the required
amount of posts.
It only took me a month to get to 500 posts, and that was with school
and and being away from an ATS accessible computer most of the day.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Well I don't know how posting 500 posts on a Webboard within 1 month, plus active life is possible.

Bad situations; Kickban for 3 days. Period.

What's the point of having like 5 users on most times online in a Chat?

Useless.

This Community has the capacity to have a vast number of users in a Chat.. probably even in several different, specialized channels.

500 posts doesnt prevent low levels of maturity.
If it does.

Thanks for calling me immature or intolerant. Do you expect the users to post 50 posts before they can go back into the Chat?

IRC-Chat is the way to go. The current ATS-Chat is pointless.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by osram
Well I don't know how posting 500 posts on a Webboard within 1 month, plus active life is possible.

Well threads like the various rating threads on BTS, and BTS in general.
For me though, I just have an opinion on most things, and I posted my
opinion alot at the time.

What's the point of having like 5 users on most times online in a Chat?
This Community has the capacity to have a vast number of users in a Chat.. probably even in several different, specialized channels.

I have seen many times when there are many members (up to over 20)
at once, however since the primary membership is mostly in three
completely different timezones, it prevents lots of people from being
there all the time.
Add to that, that not everyone is interested in chat, plus the people whom
are chatbanned, the overall number does'nt tend to be very high at any
one time.

500 posts doesnt prevent low levels of maturity.
If it does.

Perhaps not, but it does require people to actively participate in ATS,
and generally by the time they reach that amount, it is pretty preveleant
if they are mature enough, that is they would have been banned by that
time.

Thanks for calling me immature or intolerant. Do you expect the users to post 50 posts before they can go back into the Chat?

I was not calling you immature, I was pointing out that there are people
who are immature who are, and that by the time meets the required
amount, the immature ones will have been weeded out of the most part.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
As stated every time this comes up. I was in chat b4 the post limit. After it was implemented it took me a yr to get back in. Why a year? cuz yes i have a life and only post when i feel warranted mainly. Its not really a big deal. There are hundreds of other chat progs if you feel compelled to use them till you reach the limit. Just u2u the members you would like to chat with in the time being maybe. ATS is Free all the way around. 200 posts is a mere drop in the bucket for the priviledge of another resource of ATS. Post quality posts and we will see ya in there whenever you reach that limit.

Good times.

ATS is a discussion board so technically you are "chatting" in the threads, dont ya think?

There are thousands of members with over the 200 post limit and they dont hang out there. Its not a big a deal as you think. But be glad to see ya in there when ya get there.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by osram
IRC-Chat is the way to go. The current ATS-Chat is pointless.

Such activity, hosting an IRC chat, or linking to a chat, is against the Terms & Conditions of most high-end managed server providers, including ours. There will not be any IRC from ATS.

Our chat is for members who have invested some time on contributions to ATS. Since chat is a real-time environment, we've added a minimum contribution level for access.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I agree Skeptic, I like how its being run. The post limit is good.

I see chat as a way to communicate with and make new friends from the boards.. I would not want outsiders from all over the vast and random net jumping in, causing problems and disrupting the conversation..

Its for ATSers! Many of the "regulars" in chat are incredibly active on the boards.. and it works good that way. If every one just joining could jump in chat, just think about all the hoaxers who could then cause all kinds of hell in chat? Just not worth it.

join