It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slaughterhouses

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I wonder how many people could slaughter animals if they needed to in order to eat them. This is a subject that has come up a lot lately with friends of mine. I am a meat eater. A few friends are vegetarians who do not believe they should eat meat unless they could do it themselves. My position is that unless I was starving I probably couldn't do it myself. However, I'm not sure how many people would want to eat meat if they saw the slaughter process. I personally have tried to avoid being aware for years so that I could keep eating meat without feeling guilty or sick. I do advertising and a few years ago was placing Ads in a magazine on Food Processing Equipment. There was a lead story called, "The Killing floor" on all the wonderful, technological advances in slaughter technology. With all the recent Mad Cow articles on TV, I've found myself unable to even watch a few frames of TV footage. IS anyone else experiencing this? I just wonder. Is there ANYTHING that we could do to make the killing more humane...or produce alternatives to eat? I just wonder.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I have processed my own deer a few times in the past it isn't that bad you get use to it. I think I could shoot a cow in the head cut it from neck to ass and rip the # out of it no problem.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
I have processed my own deer a few times in the past it isn't that bad you get use to it. I think I could shoot a cow in the head cut it from neck to ass and rip the # out of it no problem.

wow. then I'd have to marry you if I needed to eat. I just couldn't do it. I see sweet, unsuspecting animals. Never hunted. Never could. Funny enough...I think I would have a lot easier time doing that to a human that an innocent animal.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I think that if I had to I could kill an animal for food if I had no other choice but I would shed tears after .
It would have to be an animal that I had no attachment to though. I'd be no good rearing my own food.
But then if you are starving then I suppose you do what you have to do.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Losonczy

wow. then I'd have to marry you if I needed to eat. I just couldn't do it. I see sweet, unsuspecting animals. Never hunted. Never could. Funny enough...I think I would have a lot easier time doing that to a human that an innocent animal.

Let me tell you why I don't hunt anymore, but I would if I had to. I shot a buck back in 1999. It was with a doe, the doe just stared at me and smelled her mate and would not leave his side. I had to get within 5 feet of her before she ran. From that day forward I said no more. Deer are probably no different the humans when it comes to love and I just killed this poor does mate. I never have shot a doe ever for the fawn reason Bambi comes to mind i guess.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I wonder how many people could slaughter animals if they needed to in order to eat them.

I grew up (and still live) in the back woods of Arkansas and I have killed and eaten just about everything that walks swims or flies. We are hunters and killers it is in our nature, hundreds of thousands of years of evoloition. I do not kill for fun or trophies though and think they should be killed as humanely as possible.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
I think that if I had to I could kill an animal for food if I had no other choice but I would shed tears after .
It would have to be an animal that I had no attachment to though. I'd be no good rearing my own food.

I'm completely with you on that. I just don't think many of us have ever been in that position. Slaughterhouses are horrifying. I don't know how those people do that for a living. I'm not sure whether being sociopathic or apathetic is in the job criteria or what. But I agree...I do what I had to do if I had to eat. I just think so many of us eat what's before us without considering the poor animals and the poor people that have to slaughter them.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Personally I don't have a problem with it, which is handy as I work in a slaughterhouse killing lamb. I've also done the odd deer and my fair share of rabbits etc, when I've been out and about.
In the end it's a purely natural process, everything on the planet kills and eats something else, so why should we be any different.

Originally posted by pantha

I'm completely with you on that. I just don't think many of us have ever been in that position. Slaughterhouses are horrifying. I don't know how those people do that for a living. I'm not sure whether being sociopathic or apathetic is in the job criteria or what. But I agree...I do what I had to do if I had to eat. I just think so many of us eat what's before us without considering the poor animals and the poor people that have to slaughter them.

Without being rude, well it's easy, and it pays the bills. Also nine times out of ten an animal feels less when in a slaughterhouse than when in the wild. At the end of the day people out their want their steaks and chops on their plates, and I don't see them getting there on their own.

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by feygan]

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL

Let me tell you why I don't hunt anymore, but I would if I had to. I shot a buck back in 1999. It was with a doe, the doe just stared at me and smelled her mate and would not leave his side. I had to get within 5 feet of her before she ran. From that day forward I said no more. Deer are probably no different the humans when it comes to love and I just killed this poor does mate. I never have shot a doe ever for the fawn reason Bambi comes to mind i guess.

I love you even more now that I read that quote. That sounds like an awful experience. I am sorry it happened but I am glad to hear that hunters feel these feelings.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by feygan
Personally I don't have a problem with it, which is handy as I work in a slaughterhouse killing lamb. I've also done the odd deer and my fair share of rabbits etc, when I've been out and about.
In the end it's a purely natural process, everything on the planet kills and eats something else, so why should we be any different.

What is your process for killing lambs. And if you don't mind...how old are they and how much do they weigh. I understand that we "have to"... that's our "nature" but when it comes down to the killing...it just amazes me. Tell me how you kill the lambs.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   

What is your process for killing lambs. And if you don't mind...how old are they and how much do they weigh. I understand that we "have to"... that's our "nature" but when it comes down to the killing...it just amazes me. Tell me how you kill the lambs.

Ok it's quite simple, they arrive on a wagon live, spend time in whats best discribed as a large hay barn, before being put into a stunner. (like a large V shaped padded fence) Then we just stick both sides of the carotoid artery and they're bled. As i said before, this is accomplised nine times out of ten without the lamb regaining consciousness. Most lamb is inbetween 15-25kg after fleecing, gutting etc, so at guess about 25-40kg at live. Normally no more than 18 months old.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think I could do it, but I'm not sure. I guess the proof is in the pudding. If it ever come to it, either I do or I die (I don't like the second option
)

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
When I was younger we killed young bulls by hitting then in the head with a sledge hammer then hung them and drained them. When we cut the throut we would catch some of the blood in a jar and pass it around, the rest we would catch in a bucket and my grandma would mix it with flour and some other stuff and cook it. I dont remember the exact recipe but it tasted great. The fresh blood wasnt bad either kinda salty, it was suposed to make your horn stiffer.....

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by Amuk]

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
When I was younger we killed young bulls by hitting then in the head with a sledge hammer then hung them and drained them. When we cut the throut we would catch some of the blood in a jar and pass it around, the rest we would catch in a bucket and my grandma would mix it with flour and some other stuff and cook it. I dont remember the exact recipe but it tasted great. The fresh blood wasnt bad either kinda salty, it was suposed to make your horn stiffer.....

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by Amuk]

Sounds like you were living in the same town as texas chainsaw massacre.

As for the blood, I don't know about any libido effects, but anyone who knows an ounce about wilderness survival will tell you it's useful as it contains alot of minerals needed by the body.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Sounds like you were living in the same town as texas chainsaw massacre.

Naw we were just hillbillies

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:35 PM
link   
If I absolutely had to do it day in and day out, sure I would. Last winter I went with one of my friends to a huge flee market thing called "Trade Days" where they also have live stock. My friend bought 2 ducks. One was for another friend's pond while the other was for dinner. He killed and I cooked it. It was pretty good...I made this wine glaze for it that made it worth the trouble

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I had to field dress a deer that I shot.

It was gross, and I probably didn't do everything just right, but I got it done. lol

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by feygan

Ok it's quite simple, they arrive on a wagon live, spend time in whats best discribed as a large hay barn, before being put into a stunner. (like a large V shaped padded fence) Then we just stick both sides of the carotoid artery and they're bled. As i said before, this is accomplised nine times out of ten without the lamb regaining consciousness. Most lamb is inbetween 15-25kg after fleecing, gutting etc, so at guess about 25-40kg at live. Normally no more than 18 months old.

do you feel anything when that 1 out of 10 becomes concious or are you desensitized at this point?

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   

do you feel anything when that 1 out of 10 becomes concious or are you desensitized at this point?

Well sure it aint nice for the animal, but we tend to be more concerned with getting in and speeding up the whole proccess, mainly as when a 4ft long 35kg animal is hanging upside down, with it's throat cut they tend to thrash around a fair bit. But yeah it's not very pleasent when that happens.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I use to be a Butcher when i was living in NZ, i worked in the slaughter houses, i can take a live cow, sheep, pig, turkey, chicken, deer and fish and turn it into your dinner. on a side note it takes me 38 strokes of a knife to cut the hind half of the cow into its different cuts, and i can 'debone' a chicken in 47 seconds. i am the meat machine, my former boss though can debone a chicken in 43 seconds
now thats fast.

Also the most humane way to kill a cow is with a bolt gun. sheep is to cut its neck, Pig is to kill it away from other pigs since they can smell the blood and will go insane. chicken it to break neck, fish is knive through the brain.

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by seedy_sid]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join