It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Firewalls.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Me and a couple of friends had this almost exact discussion at the start of the year. Which is better? Outpost or ZA pro? So we decided to code our own. 75% done. Will be freeware when done. Will distribute to anyone that wants it.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxRaider
2 of those commercial frewalls wont slow it down and it is unnessacary. To protect against your ordinary run-of-the-mill teenage crap-hackers, one is fine. some large military and government servers have up to 18. dont ask me how I know. Routers really aren't much help if someone has a data lance, and the same with blocking incoming packets. If you get their IP (which you must have if ur there), you can mask your own to look like theirs to the firewall. Hope this helps.

What the hell are you talking about now? 18 Firewalls? Most government servers aren't even accessible from the internet, and you have no idea about their security measures anyway. Saying that routers aren't much help is just ignorant, please explain this. Also, IP masking is a networking term which you obviously have no knowledge of. You can't just spoof an ip to make it look like someone else's either...and even if you could, what good would it do you to assume the IP of the person trying to connect to your computer?

Every post you make is more ignorant than the last, and I guess it will be my job to make sure you don't mislead anyone...

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Me and a couple of friends had this almost exact discussion at the start of the year. Which is better? Outpost or ZA pro? So we decided to code our own. 75% done. Will be freeware when done. Will distribute to anyone that wants it.

sweeet..

can you please im sure you addthis already

make it soo if you get portscanned you can have a option of banning that IP forever?

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Sygate Pro will let you do this with advanced options. You can block mac addresses, full ip ranges, subnet addresses or even all ip addresses across any network card/modem you choose. I set up rules to block popups addresses and other annoying "services" that like to make connections. Anything new I find I just have to look up in the traffic logs and add.

If you were really desparate you can find "stuff" so you can have sygate pro

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I'd love to try it. I run a tweak forum with quite a few members who might also try it, if you'd like me to post it. Let me know when it's done.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I installed a Wireless router ( d Link), and after several rounds of tweaking, got my laptop to connect to the company VPN through it.

Here's the problem:

- I'm running Outlook 2K & Win2K. everytime I try & send an email with an attachment, Outlook hangs up and I have to close it & open it back up.

- Everything else is fine: send emails without attachments, receive large email attachments, web surf.

The tech supports answer? sent me to Google to find Dr.TCP.

I'm ready to return the router & card based on one of my techs recommending Linksys.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It sounds more like an Outlook issue to me. Does OE do it too?

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm done with dLink. I'm going to go return it & pick up the Linksys package for $80. Not bad for the router & laptop card combined.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I recently changed my linksys routers for a 3com. The linksys was only approx. 1 year old, wasn't exposed to any extreme condition (heat, dust, humidity, etc..) and some ports stoped working for no reason. It wasn't the first time I had trouble with linksys material, especialy routers. Linksys NIC works well tho.

But if you can afford a 3Com router instead (might be a few bucks more expensive..) I highly suggest it, but that's just a personnal opinion.

You might just as well buy the linksys and be fine with it... I just happen to had have a lot of various problems with 'em...SMC & Milan Networks equipement are good too...

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by m0rbid]

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
I recently changed my linksys routers for a 3com. The linksys was only approx. 1 year old, wasn't exposed to any extreme condition (heat, dust, humidity, etc..) and some ports stoped working for no reason. It wasn't the first time I had trouble with linksys material, especialy routers. Linksys NIC works well tho.

But if you can afford a 3Com router instead (might be a few bucks more expensive..) I highly suggest it, but that's just a personnal opinion.

You might just as well buy the linksys and be fine with it... I just happen to had have a lot of various problems with 'em...SMC & Milan Networks equipement are good too...

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by m0rbid]

That's weird that you had trouble with your linksys router. Another friend of mine said he's gone through a few Linksys Routers too, about every 1 or 2 years he said. I've had mine since they first came out (3-4yrs)and I've never had a problem with it. Just depends on how lucky you get I guess. Although I did have a Linksys Hub that went bad for no reason.

3Com is always good stuff. I've never had trouble with DLink either. I've had trouble with NIC's that are cheap though, so stay away from any cards that are just some no name crap cheap-o card. Stay away from Multi-Function Cards as well, they're not worth the extra trouble and it's a hassle when one of the two functions goes out leaving the other.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
they killed my links router

went to there site for a "inportent firmware update"

to discover to my horror the file was correpet im sure they pised HELLA people off!

now i have no countrol over my router atleast its working as a stliter but just hope my isp dosnt find out i have 4 new IP's

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
they killed my links router

went to there site for a "inportent firmware update"

to discover to my horror the file was correpet im sure they pised HELLA people off!

now i have no countrol over my router atleast its working as a stliter but just hope my isp dosnt find out i have 4 new IP's

You can't get into your router at all anymore?? Can't reset it or re-update it or nothin??

Does it still give dhcp address to your pc's?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join