It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong's Tsang Wins Easy Victory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Hong Kong's Tsang Wins Easy Victory

news.yahoo.com

HONG KONG - Incumbent Donald Tsang trounced his challenger Sunday in Hong Kong's first contested leadership race since it returned to Chinese rule, but the losing candidate said the vote was rigged and demanded greater democracy.

An election committee voted 649-123 to keep Tsang, a bow tie-wearing veteran civil servant, in office for a five-year term, officials said. He had been widely expected to beat his rival, lawmaker Alan Leong, because the panel — loaded with tycoons and other elites

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
[edit on 25/3/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

This is actually a little scary to me, as a US citizen with our ties with Hong Kong and the uncertainty of the way the US government will react if China uses military pressure on Hong Kong.

From Original Article:

However, one of Tsang's boldest campaign promises was to hammer out a roadmap and timetable for full democracy in Hong Kong,

This was the first time a post-handover leader has made such a specific pledge to deliver democratic reforms.

I really hope that all goes smoothly but, if Tsang pushes China too hard and China decides to use it's military, who knows?

news.yahoo.com

Not entirely sure you understand Hong Kong.

It is part of China. Why would China use it's military against HK?

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

From Original Article:

However, one of Tsang's boldest campaign promises was to hammer out a roadmap and timetable for full democracy in Hong Kong,

This was the first time a post-handover leader has made such a specific pledge to deliver democratic reforms.

I really hope that all goes smoothly but, if Tsang pushes China too hard and China decides to use it's military, who knows?

Like they haven't used their military against their own people before?

.Tiananmen Square

The article just kind of struck me as saying the people of Hong Kong voted for a candidate that wants to start a democratic government, breaking away from the communist norm of China. And that the repercussions of such may cause turmoil even as far away as.the US

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

This is actually a little scary to me, as a US citizen with our ties with Hong Kong and the uncertainty of the way the US government will react if China uses military pressure on Hong Kong.

From Original Article:

news.yahoo.com

As much as I like to see Hong Kong making it's steps toward democracy, it's not going to happen, I mean come'on Donald is a politician and since when did a politician meant anything they said?

edition.cnn.com...

[edit on 25-3-2007 by damefool]

top topics

join