It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(March 24/07) Japanese Issue Tsunami Warning After 7.1 Quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

TOKYO — Japan issued a tsunami warning for the country's Sea of Japan coast after a strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.1 struck early Sunday. No major damage or injuries were immediately reported.

SOURCE | FoxNews

SOURCE | NOAA

If this has already been posted, oops.

Any more news on this? Is the Earth trying to tell us something? Indigestion? Sure seems to be a bunch of sizemic (sp?) activity lately.

[edit on 24-3-2007 by damajikninja]

Mod Edit: Took out "breaking" and put a date into the title

[edit on 3/31/2007 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
UPDATE: Small 6" tsunami hits Japanese coast. No immediate reports of injuries.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
BBC reporting serious quake, but little damage. Waves of 50 cm so far with other smaller waves to come. Those Japs build very good buildings, fair play to them.

Second 7.2 quake of Indonisioa within 2 mins, aparently NOT related?!?

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

Any more news on this? Is the Earth trying to tell us something? Indigestion? Sure seems to be a bunch of sizemic (sp?) activity lately.

[edit on 24-3-2007 by damajikninja]

Honestly, I would find it more worrying if the earthquakes in Japan stopped.

Seems at this point that there was very little beyond the usual damage from a quake like this: a few roads have developed speed bumps, the convenience stores lost all their sake and had all the cup ramen wind up on the floor as well, a few old buildings with tiled roofs sustained damage. Frankly, its like watching stock film at this point.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_ThenSecond 7.2 quake of Indonisioa within 2 mins, aparently NOT related?!?

Not related, no. But that particular plate is very active, and there's constant earthquakes at varying depths all around the zone.

As was said, it'd be a lot more worrying if they STOPPED!

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Was any tsunami alert given for the Aluetian Island chain? As I have many freinds there I'm a little concerned. They're all out of contact as its fishing season up there.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Reports here are that 1 person has been killed and 160 injured,

NOTO PENINSULA, Japan, March 25 (Reuters) - A strong earthquake killed one person and injured at least 160 in central Japan on Sunday, demolishing houses, buckling roads, triggering landslides and cutting off water supplies to thousands of homes.

More than 1,300 people evacuated to shelters after 44 houses collapsed and some 200 others, mostly wooden with heavy tile roofs, were seriously damaged by the 6.9 magnitude earthquake, which struck at 9:42 a.m. (0042 GMT), officials and media said.

www.alertnet.org...

I know we have some members from that aera so i hope all is ok, and im sure they will update us at a later point,

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Was any tsunami alert given for the Aluetian Island chain? As I have many freinds there I'm a little concerned. They're all out of contact as its fishing season up there.

Wouldn't worry too much this time, last I herd waves of 50cm broke on the shore.

Remember tsunami waves are only really dangerous as the approach the shallower water. Fishing (and other) boats are often unaware the wave even past them by if they are out far enough.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

The tsunami was for the sea of japan - so no need to worry. Besides, although your friends may be out of contact with you, these days everyone has access to weather radio and bulletins to warn of a situation like this. Add to that the fact that being out to sea is the safest place to be in a Tsunami (aside from the obvious choices like on a mountain or in Idaho), and you`ve nothing to worry about.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Looks like nothing major occurred here. A small wave did make shore, and there was a substantial quake. Nothing too out of the ordinary for the region. However, there seems to be a lot of activity world-wide as of late. Maybe I am just now noticing them all, but it sure seems to me that there is a rise in the amount of seismic activity.

Anyone care to speak to this?

top topics

join