It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communes. Ever lived in one? Would you join one?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I have never lived in one. From what I understand, they practice co-parenting (to different degrees). I don't want that for my family. I'd only live in one if my child's life depended on it and even then I don't know if I would.

Communes = group think and loss of 'self'.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Even if i was there?

I dont know why but the word "hippie" comes to mind.

As long as i can get "Krunk" (drinking Kava) for peace!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NSBiz

Why would you consider it scary and shiver at the thought? Except for the agenda driven ones (usually religious) they are just average people living average lives collectively. For the most part the drug inspired orgistic communes were middle class fantasies to begin with, and the few that were like that fell apart quickly.

There are several intentional communities as they like to be called down here in Virginia, several down in Floyd, about 30 miles south of here. They bought or buy into land collectively and are more than anything mutual aid societies... you help me raise my house, I help you back and so on.

Every person I know who lives in one of those down there (and I know several people) are splendid characters. I would have absolutely no qualms being in that type of arrangement with any of them... its far scarier in the average city neighborhood than in a community.

Here is a link to one of the major clearing houses for intentional communities.

www.ic.org...

By the way you are way off base on this one flyersfan:

Communes = group think and loss of 'self'.

If anything the exact opposite is true... every one I have ever known were full of involved, engaging individuals who deeply value their contributions to their communities. I never saw any group think... what I saw, if anything resembled New England town meetings.... Intelligent, articluate individuals speaking their minds.

It takes a fully developed individual to thrive in an environment like that.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by grover]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
hi there folks,

cool thread,

i am moving this year to live full time in rural Portugal,
for the same price as an average small house you can buy an entire village of over 40 buildings.
there are many groups who are buying these and setting up small eco-villages and communes.
it is good as you can run solar electricity all year round out there so creature comforts are not a problem !!!

one of the largest eco events in the world is held in Portugal every 2 years it is all about sustainable living etc....

www.boomfestival.org...

website for cheap houses /land in portugal:
www.pureportugal.co.uk

take care
snoopyuk

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Please please please keep us informed on how you do there.
I'm still looking for a place to set up 'the simple life'.

Enough land to farm,small house/log cabin even..hunting allowed.

Best of Non-British mate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join