It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran ‘to try Britons for espionage'?????

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
How exactly can they be tried for espionage when they were in Uniform?

I was under the impression that spies tended not to parade around in full military get-up. Tend's to get one noticed, I should think.

Iran like most despotic regimes seem to make up the rules as they go along our own rules regarding stop and search patrols will need to changed too this can't happen again

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Iran like most despotic regimes seem to make up the rules as they go along our own rules regarding stop and search patrols will need to changed too this can't happen again

Kinda like all those Nice folks in Guantanamo in Cuba that Us in the US of A put there, Gee I wonder how they got this Idea, it's not like we went into other countries and kidnapped them though, right??????

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Mmmmmm... "a website run by associates", but no link to it, no specific website name, no link to the original story on that website etc...etc...

As Marg pointed out, the US kidnapped Itanian nationals who were in Iraq at the invitation of the Iraqi government. Where was the outcry then?, or is it only a crime when it's white guys or our own people who get taken?
At least the Iranians are unlikely to start waterboarding or attaching genital electrodes to those captured, something they should maybe be thankful for, given the track record of torture by western agencies right now

I expect they'll be turned over at some point safe and well without a need to "Nuke" the country. It's a simple tit for tat move that WE (our leaders) started.
Gives both sides a chance to talk tough and puff out the chests a bit

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by avro
your'e a disgrace making such comments at this tense time

Damn, your right.
I should just join the

* Lets nuke them
* Lets invade them
* Lets bomb them

crowds.. .thats a lot more morale and decent isnt it.

How dare they capture and interrogate foreign soliders that entered there military zone...
How dare they do this, after we've invaded, occupied 2 of their neighbours... one illegially... while also kidnapping and interrogating THERE officials..

Your right.. what a disgrace.. sorrry!

[edit on 25-3-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
There was certainly alot of lies from the British about the original story, probably even lies on both sides, lets look at what the Brits claimed actually happened

Lets just run through the official account...

Two small boats were carrying out a search on a merchant vessel, these boats were carrying 15 men and had alledgedly come from HMS Cornwall. While on-board the merchant vessel, two large Iranian naval ships arrived, taking all 15 men and the two boats.

This incident is alledged to have happened at the enterance to the Shatt-al-Arab waterway. Initial reports stated in was to the North of the entrance...near the Iranian coast, but recent media states near Iraq...this NWO change to media reports casts even greater doubts on the official version of event.

Another point to consider, is that this happen at sea...and not in the Shatt-al-Arab waterway. So you wouldn`t want to venture too far in small boats.

So why would the captain of HMS Cornwall allow these small craft to venture so far, that HMS Cornwall could do anything, but play a passive role?

The Cornwall failed to warn the search party that two large Iranian naval ships were approaching (RADAR)?

The Cornwall failed to warn the Iranian`s off...they failed to fire a warning shot!

HMS Cornwall is equiped with a LYNX helicopter....WHERE WAS IT???????

Sorry people....the governments official account is RUBBISH!!

Remember the last time this happened? The boats captured by the Iranian`s on the Iranian banks of the Shatt-al-Arab waterway were full of explosives and US special forces arms!

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
How did those Iranian vessels get so close without anyone being awares?
Or were they?

Also... If indeed the brits WERE in Iraqi waters...... wouldnt they of felt the need to defend themselves from Iranian special forces that were approaching them,obviously with intent?

I mena.. .for all the british knew.. the iranians had just started a campaign and were storming ships.....

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   

It wont happen again. Saber rattelers, deperate act to be seen and heard.
their military is a joke.. new Mercedes-Benz cars and motorcycles in the desert wont cut it agaist a strike like Isreal deliverd Iraq's reactor in the 80's

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
like to point out the UK government has denied they were in Iranian waters and the UK government has been denied contact to the troops aswell.

Expect things to heat up now.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by golddragnet
So you wouldn`t want to venture too far in small boats.

Small boats? There RIBS for crying out loud, designed to operate in the north sea miles away from thier support ship, hell have you even sat in one?

So why would the captain of HMS Cornwall allow these small craft to venture so far, that HMS Cornwall could do anything, but play a passive role?

Because its safer to risk 15 mens lives boarding a ship than over a 100? HMS Cornwalls captain probably allowed them to go further out to board a simple merchant ship because most merchant ships do not carry weapons nor deck mounted guns. I also doubt they would be expecting two iranian naval warships to cross into iraqi waters and take british troops OFF the merchant ship. This could be classed as piracy technically since they did board a ship and steal passangers.

The Cornwall failed to warn the search party that two large Iranian naval ships were approaching (RADAR)?

What are you going to say? "Yeah sub-leitenant there's two warships coming your way, fancy getting the GPMG out and holding them off till we arrive?"

The Cornwall failed to warn the Iranian`s off...they failed to fire a warning shot!

Do you have the radio logs for that incident? Funny I dont think anyone has released that information so far...I wonder what story that conversation would tell. Also are you prepared to commit an act of war by firing on an iranian warship to stop them taking 15 men?

A lynx helicopter is not designed to take on a warship, sorry but its not an apache....its a light ASW/troop transport aircraft. Not really designed for that ever important naval gunship requirement.

Remember the last time this happened? The boats captured by the Iranian`s on the Iranian banks of the Shatt-al-Arab waterway were full of explosives and US special forces arms!

You mean the british sailors in 2004 that were additatly in iranian waters by accident, also why would the UK need US special forces arms and explosives.....when we have our own?

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Lets just run through the official account...

Lets....

Two small boats were carrying out a search on a merchant vessel, these boats were carrying 15 men and had alledgedly come from HMS Cornwall. While on-board the merchant vessel, two large Iranian naval ships arrived, taking all 15 men and the two boats.

No dispute there apart from the "large" description. They were apparently Iranian patrol vessels, no Large Naval ships as you describe.

This incident is alledged to have happened at the enterance to the Shatt-al-Arab waterway. Initial reports stated in was to the North of the entrance...near the Iranian coast, but recent media states near Iraq...this NWO change to media reports casts even greater doubts on the official version of event.

The first and original reports said it was at sea and in Iraqi waters. Secondary reports suggested it was close to the shaat-al-arab waterway. No confirmations from anyone yet.

Another point to consider, is that this happen at sea...and not in the Shatt-al-Arab waterway. So you wouldn`t want to venture too far in small boats.

A navy person are you? These boats can operate quite a way from the mothership and are resilient in all but the worst weather. It is quite normal for them to at sea and a distance away from the ship.

Standard procedure. The small boats can catch a suspect vessel, the Cornwall cannot unless it sprints and is large and cumbersome.

As someone from the USN pointed out to me in another thread (or maybe this one), there is so much Iranian activity anyway that a couple of small patrol boats would not cause alarm

Because they were out of range.... duh....

EDIT: We still do have RN Lynx's... I am surprised... So apologies there.

It was on station above the Merchant vessel from what I understand, but again, it lacked the firepower to engage and the ROE state that the aim is too de-escalate any confrontation, so without political support, the commanders would not authorise the use of force.

Sorry people....the governments official account is RUBBISH!!

Sorry dude, your disection of the official account is rubbish.

No they weren't. Provide sources. Last time the guys were delivering a boat to the Iraqi's, I believe and got sprung. They did stray across the border but the weather was terrible and they had no GPS that day. Besides, the Shatt-al-Arab waterway is heavily disputed and one side's border is different to another's..

[edit on 25/3/07 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
send in the SAS they like dealing with the iranians (iranian embassy 1980) - or i wonder if the americans would let us borrow rambo, ive heard hes coming out of retirement
if rambo isn't available then nuke em (will be over in minutes), its what we are paying billions for..why let a 3rd world country bully us around?, besides sooner iran is wiped off the map the better.

[edit on 25-3-2007 by Sepiroth]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Seeings we do not know of the location, the SAS cannot be sent.

Last time Iran captured our troops, they were released within 3 days. It has already being called a "stalemate" by the British media.

With Iran refusing to disclose their location and even preventing the British government having contact with them, expect this to escalate.

Iran has 545,000 active troops, but number one for total troops (12,285,000)

A coalition is going to be needed, a large force for that matter.

UK total troops is about 500,000

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   

your'e a disgrace making such comments at this tense time
[edit on 25/3/2007 by Mirthful Me]

A disgrace? He was only pointing out the truth of the situation, and personally, i find YOU a disgrace for going against what he said.

As you said, things are tense. What everyone needs to realise in the UK, is that we are guilty of doing what the Iranians have just done, and on multiple occasions.

If an Iranian vessel strayed into our waters, what do you think would happen?

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sepiroth
send in the SAS they like dealing with the Iranians (iranian embassy 1980) - or i wonder if the americans would let us borrow rambo,
[edit on 25-3-2007 by Sepiroth]

Darn you are right We need Rambo !!!!!!! one man army and the problem will be resolve in one operation.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
The UK gov (i'm UK) seems to be admitting that our lads WERE in Iranian water, waiting for the news to come round again on BBC24.

Here is a fishermans account of the location of the incident. The Usual Anti-west crowd will immediately sound off that he isn't reliable! Where did we get this guy!

From Quatar

Britons detained in Iraqi waters, says fisherman
Web posted at: 3/25/2007 3:43:22
Source ::: REUTERS
basra, Iraq • An Iraqi fisherman who said he saw Iranian forces detain British sailors and marines on Friday in a waterway between Iraq and Iran said yesterday the ship British forces were searching was anchored in Iraqi waters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The vitriol they spit at us on this board while saying that we are spitting vitriol is juvenile. They seem like the types that got the crap between out from between their ears on the schoolyard or something.

Basically, if someone walks up and belts you in the mouth, cry, cry, cry! Go tell your Mommy (maybe the UN will help this time).

Get off the field, get off the sideline, get out of my stadium. Iran proves again and again who they are but you woin't see it till one of our western capitols is turned to ash. *smack*

[edit on 25-3-2007 by Gatordone]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
basra, Iraq • An Iraqi fisherman who said he saw Iranian forces detain British sailors and marines on Friday in a waterway between Iraq and Iran said yesterday the ship British forces were searching was anchored in Iraqi waters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So we manage to dig out a fisherman that say "yeah, they were in Iraqi waters how convenient, and by this everything is OK and we need to shut up and question nothing.

Humm, seems like propaganda to me.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
Here is a fishermans account of the location of the incident. The Usual Anti-west crowd will immediately sound off that he isn't reliable! Where did we get this guy!

whats the point in that comment?
People come to this site for a mature debate.
Yet, if we dont believe the Iraqis accounts, we are instantly ANTI WESTERN.
I mean jesus.... what sort of world do you want us to live in?

'' you either listen to what we say.. or ur the enemy ''

Label me what ever the hell you want,
Because I can see the Coalition, paying off some iraqi to say that.
Im not saying in this case it happened, but dont go around acting like the coalition is above that!

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Seeings we do not know of the location, the SAS cannot be sent.

That isnt a good sign when you consider how hard it can be to track a group of people. The British military establishment must have some idea of where the sailors are being held the key will be to get enough concrete info in time for the SAS to launch a rescue mission.

This could be another case where the lack of intel assets on the ground and the over reliance on technology comes back haunt a member of the coalition.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
That isnt a good sign when you consider how hard it can be to track a group of people. The British military establishment must have some idea of where the sailors are being held the key will be to get enough concrete info in time for the SAS to launch a rescue mission.

This could be another case where the lack of intel assets on the ground and the over reliance on technology comes back haunt a member of the coalition.

Word from the British camp is that the captured troops are being moved around in order to make intel hard.

If they are held in Tehran, how are you going to get the SAS in and back out with the Iranians knowing? thats the problem here.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
What I find curious about this whole event is a total lack of any reporting about it on American news channels. I mean you seriously even have to dig to find it on any of the major US web news sites.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join