It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

jesus never existed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Iasion, how could a widespread belief spring up about a man over a short period of time after his alleged death if he never even existed in the first place?

i don't know, but i know the cult of dionysus had a similar story, with a similar mythic figure, and it had garnered an incredible following for its time. hell, the only reason christianity survives today is CIRCUMSTANCE.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Iason -

You bring up some of the more compelling arguments thus far - thanks. I could counter that by claiming that the very turmoil that wracked Judea in the 1st century AD could be the very reason why there are very few 'independant' accounts of Christ's life. In the chaos of war and unrest, could not the records have been destroyed.

I have enjoyed reading many of these posts. I am - as the astute reader has already discerned - a devout Roman Catholic. I am also a historian, and I understand the sometimes contradictory nature of accepting things without evidence. That's why it's called faith.

We can argue about pre-Christian practices, religions, cults, practices, and beliefs forever. There is some validity to Christianity's practice of 'absorbing' local influences, beliefs, and practices. This incorporation is justified as a recognition of the locals seeing some aspect of God despite not knowing him through the Gospel. Those who don't believe are more than welcome to look at that like a plate of tripe - fine by me. The process of incorporation is one that I think reinforces the Hand of God moving throughout all the world and it's people.

Thanks all!

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
i think he did exist but i am not sure he still helps with desiosions!! He does not sit in hevan helping

<< 1   >>

join