It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about the second amendment:

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I don't think many people would be willing to tell and armed Entry team "No, you can't have my guns."

Those that will, will be reported as "opening fire" or "responding with hostility" to the poor innocent JBTs" and "appropriate action" will be taken.

I know that I'm prepared to die for my rights, but how many others are?

[edit on 24-3-2007 by Nicotine1982]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I think it's interesting that everyone so far seems to be talking about the right to bear arms as defense against a tyrannical government. I think this is the proper interpretation of what the amendment is meant to be, however I'm not exactly sure it ties in with the contemporary problems associated with it.

First off, if the government wanted to be tyrannical (and yes that's put in extremely vague hypothetical terms) then I don't necessarily think we the people could take them on...

But furthermore, do the social problems of firearm ownership have anything to do with tyrannical government? These are the implications we must consider when looking at our rights. I read about gun control and I see robberies, I see children getting into their parents' supply and accidentally shooting themselves and others. I'm not saying that I'm anti-gun at all, I just think that this issue is far more complicated than us rising up against the powers that be. What does everyone think about these issues? What are the other reasons people support gun ownership (beyond defending us from government) ?

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilin
First off, if the government wanted to be tyrannical (and yes that's put in extremely vague hypothetical terms) then I don't necessarily think we the people could take them on...

But furthermore, do the social problems of firearm ownership have anything to do with tyrannical government? These are the implications we must consider when looking at our rights. I read about gun control and I see robberies, I see children getting into their parents' supply and accidentally shooting themselves and others. I'm not saying that I'm anti-gun at all, I just think that this issue is far more complicated than us rising up against the powers that be. What does everyone think about these issues? What are the other reasons people support gun ownership (beyond defending us from government) ?

Why would you think that? There's 300,000,000 American citizens with 25% that own firearms. That's 75,000,000 that own firearms.

There's only 1.4 million active servicemen. How many are in Iraq? 130,000?

I think we've got better than a snowball's chance in hell to stand up to a tyrannical government.

As well, you've got to consider.. how many active duty will turn (and bring the goodies with them)? How many reserve will turn? How many retired personnel have been trained, and are fully capable of fighting?

The list goes on.

Sign me up.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infoholic

Why would you think that?

Technology, funding, our ignorance to the government's actual capabilities, nukes, biological warfare, control of the water supply, energy supply, communications, secrets, secrets, secrets.

Yes we got firepower, but who has the bigger toys? Who has the advantage?

I'm not saying government could overpower us, I mean, after all, people are people, even government officials have blood running through them (I think), but don't act like it would be a walk in the park. They have advantages I don't think we can even begin to imagine.

[edit on 24-3-2007 by Lilin]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Yes we got firepower, but who has the bigger toys? Who has the advantage?

I'm not saying government could overpower us, I mean, after all, people are people, even government officials have blood running through them (I think), but don't act like it would be a walk in the park. They have advantages I don't think we can even begin to imagine.

Who makes up the US military? Umm.... we do.

The US military is not an occupying force, it's a brutal force. I'm sure that if need be, we the people can be just as brutal. For Christ's sake, the US military can't even hold Iraq for more than 3 weeks. And they're just throwing stones.

I'm sure you're right that they have certain advantages. But you've also got to admit that there's plenty that would stand tall for what they swore to uphold.

[edit on 3/24/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Who makes up the US military? Umm.... we do.

The US military is not an occupying force, it's a brutal force. I'm sure that if need be, we the people can be just as brutal.

I'm sure you're right that they have certain advantages. But you've also got to admit that there's plenty that would stand tall for what they swore to uphold.

Umm... who mentioned the US military? I'm not saying we're useless little fishies waiting in a barrel. I'm not saying people wouldn't fight. What I am saying is that there is a new warfare. Just like we no longer march in straight lines with a fife to the left and drummer to the right, waiting to be shot down row by row. If they really wanted to take people out, they'd do it nice and quiet, there would be poison, there would be sickness, and the kind of capabilities such warfare would require, I betcha our government has in full stock.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicotine1982
Unfortunately, I don't think many people would be willing to tell and armed Entry team "No, you can't have my guns." Those that will, will be reported as "opening fire" or "responding with hostility" to the poor innocent JBTs" and "appropriate action" will be taken.

Well, if we allow it to come down to door-to-door confiscation before we get off our asses, then we deserve what we get, right?

That's why the private gun owners need to think and act as a team — a big damned team, with an off-the-grid communications network. So, after the Storm Troopers raid my house, confiscate my handguns and rifles and shotguns, they will emerge to find the house surrounded by 40 pissed off and well-armed citizens.

"That's right, officers, just drop your weapons — and your wallets, and your car keys, and your radios and body-armor — and don't stop running 'til you reach the county line."

I know that I'm prepared to die for my rights, but how many others are?

I think the problem is that too few people even know how to fight for survival anymore. It's been bred out of the kids today.

I come from a family of old Southern rebels and outlaws dating way back, grew up with a gun in my hand on a ranch, and have seen how one man's discipline and intent in the midst of chaos can turn a battle. I also know the value of sparing another man's life to gain his respect, but mainly so I don't have to trouble myself burying his ass — which is why I would first very courteously give the Storm Troopers the option of leaving my property on their feet or on their backs.

So, no, I'm not afraid to fight and die for a noble cause — namely, my own Liberty and that of my family.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I wonder how many thermonuclear weapons you would need to have stashed in your tool shed, before the government of the US saw you as a viable threat. Alas, I feel that may be a different thread altogether.

I suppose I should tell you that I work in the nuclear industry. I have been close enough to these fuel cells to wrap my arms around them.

However ...typical of a politican educated in our public school system...they are actually stupid enough not to trust me with a gun....in order to get votes from a overly emotional voting base carefully cultivated on anti gun rhetoric. But they will trust me with a fuel cell. Doesnt make good nonsense does it?? But thats politics for you!!

Understand now ...my previous point about emotional puppets and public education for votes??

One has to go to public school here to get that stupid. Ordinary people who do real work and take real risks with their lives and safety and the lives and safety of others are not that naturally stupid. Understand now??

Think about the doctor or nurse who has the lives and well being of so many daily in thier hands. The tractor trailer driver on our highways..How many lives do they interact with daily. An you dont trust these people with a gun? Stupid isnt it?? I am of course talking about many multitudes besides these two examples.

I suppose Implosion ..what I mean to say is that not all of us here are emotional drama queens who get our emotional data/input from a television education..which is what much of our public school education has become here stateside.
Some of us do live and work in the real world and know the difference.

thedigirati,

You may have a valid supposition; However, as a former Member of the military and a NWPL clerk ( Naval warfare publication library ) I know for a FACT that those that have the "keys" to the nukes are extremely patriotic, it's more likely DC would get nuked if the order came down to nuke the citizens of the U.S. of A. [quote/]

YOu might want to think this through a bit more in lieu of certain nuclear protocols which have been in place for many many years now. Most of the public hasnt a clue and never will. Probably best they never do so that they will be comfortable behind their television sets and American Idol.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 24-3-2007 by orangetom1999]

[edit on 24-3-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Ok, even though defence against tyranny IS the whole point, we'll leave that issue aside for the moment.

CRIME
One of the main concerns of those who want to disarm you/me is the fear of crime. This is based on Hollywood, nothing more. Crime is a part of living in a community, and the larger the population, the higher the crime rate. Murder, Rape, Robbery, and others have been around long before guns, and will continue for long after. Back in the day of the sword, a woman was at the mercy of the man who wanted to rape her, since blades are only as good as the strength behind them. Someone once called the handgun "the great equalizer". I think that is a very appropriate title.

"Assault" firearms are often portrayed as venomous, evil tools of terrorists and ruthless criminals. Thats kinda funny really, I have seen more "Assault rifles" than I can count, but have never seen one reach out and force its owner to kill. And never have I seen one used in hostility. In fact, out of the 3 times that I have had a gun pointed in my direction, not once has the criminal used an "assault" weapon.

CHILD SAFTEY
Here is a novel idea! Rather than punish those who are responsible, and lock up their guns and teach their children Firearms Safety, how about making punishment stricter for those negligent fools who actually let this sort of thing happen. While we are at it, how often does this even happen anymore? someone should find the statistics of how many children accidentally die in shootings and compare it to how many children die in car crashes or due to malpractice in hospitals. I'll bet money that guns will come out looking pretty Darn safe.

FEAR
People don't like guns because they are afraid of them, and what they can do. I can except that, its only natural when every other show on TV is CSI, 24, Law & Order, or some other show where the cops are faced with an enormous criminal underground that has no regard for human life and somehow has access to everything.

The fact is that if there was a gun in every house, and on every pedestrian, more criminals would think twice about trying to victimize anyone.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Umm... who mentioned the US military? I'm not saying we're useless little fishies waiting in a barrel. I'm not saying people wouldn't fight. What I am saying is that there is a new warfare. Just like we no longer march in straight lines with a fife to the left and drummer to the right, waiting to be shot down row by row. If they really wanted to take people out, they'd do it nice and quiet, there would be poison, there would be sickness, and the kind of capabilities such warfare would require, I betcha our government has in full stock.

Uh... I did? We're talking about the US people standing up to the US government... who stands in the way? US military.

A new warfare that we are all included in on, on some level or another.

They'd do it real nice and quite for a short amount of time, until at least... oh... 90445 (and counting) people began to say something about it and spread the word.

As a member of ATS, I'm certain you've noticed that the government cannot keep everything a secret forever.

Whatever they have in stock, we'll take it from them. After all, it belongs to "us".

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Ok, even though defence against tyranny IS the whole point, we'll leave that issue aside for the moment.

CRIME
One of the main concerns of those who want to disarm you/me is the fear of crime. This is based on Hollywood, nothing more. Crime is a part of living in a community, and the larger the population, the higher the crime rate. Murder, Rape, Robbery, and others have been around long before guns, and will continue for long after. Back in the day of the sword, a woman was at the mercy of the man who wanted to rape her, since blades are only as good as the strength behind them. Someone once called the handgun "the great equalizer". I think that is a very appropriate title.

"Assault" firearms are often portrayed as venomous, evil tools of terrorists and ruthless criminals. Thats kinda funny really, I have seen more "Assault rifles" than I can count, but have never seen one reach out and force its owner to kill. And never have I seen one used in hostility. In fact, out of the 3 times that I have had a gun pointed in my direction, not once has the criminal used an "assault" weapon.

CHILD SAFTEY
Here is a novel idea! Rather than punish those who are responsible, and lock up their guns and teach their children Firearms Safety, how about making punishment stricter for those negligent fools who actually let this sort of thing happen. While we are at it, how often does this even happen anymore? someone should find the statistics of how many children accidentally die in shootings and compare it to how many children die in car crashes or due to malpractice in hospitals. I'll bet money that guns will come out looking pretty Darn safe.

FEAR
People don't like guns because they are afraid of them, and what they can do. I can except that, its only natural when every other show on TV is CSI, 24, Law & Order, or some other show where the cops are faced with an enormous criminal underground that has no regard for human life and somehow has access to everything.

The fact is that if there was a gun in every house, and on every pedestrian, more criminals would think twice about trying to victimize anyone.

Thank you for addressing my digression.

I think you've made great points and this is really what I was looking for in response. I don't know a lot about these issues, so I thank you for expanding my horizons.

I do think that there is fear to be had from a dangerous weapon, beyond what we see on CSI et cetera, but yeah, guns don't kill people... people kill people, after all.

I'm not sure it's exactly significant how many children die in other ways. Yes, it's a good way of illustrating risk, but any gun related accident with a child is one too many. It's not exactly rare either, I still hear about it all the time.

What I think it all comes down to is responsibility. But you can only cultivate that so much in any society. That's where the laws come in.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   

For Christ's sake, the US military can't even hold Iraq for more than 3 weeks. And they're just throwing stones.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm pretty certain that the U.S. military alone could turn Iraq into either a parking lot or Disneyland real damned quick if they weren't so ham-strung by the political divisiveness and weak leadership going on state-side.

If our corrupted, spineless, self-serving political parties would just let them do their jobs without micro-managing them, I think our military could have everybody dancing around the maypole in Iraq, and I think the entire conflict would've been resolved years ago.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Uh... I did? We're talking about the US people standing up to the US government... who stands in the way? US military.

A new warfare that we are all included in on, on some level or another.

They'd do it real nice and quite for a short amount of time, until at least... oh... 90445 (and counting) people began to say something about it and spread the word.

As a member of ATS, I'm certain you've noticed that the government cannot keep everything a secret forever.

Whatever they have in stock, we'll take it from them. After all, it belongs to "us".

Well, fair enough, I know you did. I just meant that's not exactly the facet of the issue I was talking about. I think we're getting on different wavelengths is all.

Lol... yeah, they aren't exactly masterminds of secrecy. But that's the problem isn't it, we don't know what we actually don't know.

As for it only being a secret method for a short time, it's possible. But how many people are dying from disease and bad meds and food recalls etc every day? I don't think it would be too difficult to pass off planned killing as a normal every day sort of death.

Not to mention, warfare goes beyond killing people. There's always a possibility of drugs in the water supply etc. But I'm seriously starting to sound like a paperback now.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The US Government killed 3,000 already. Yes that was pretty bad.

So, now they kill 300,000 and we're supposed to roll over and play dead?

I'm sorry, but that sill leaves 74,700,000 left to fight.

They'll widdle away at who's left, but they'll never take everyone alive. (as ironic as that may sound)

[edit on 3/25/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I'm not sure it's exactly significant how many children die in other ways. Yes, it's a good way of illustrating risk, but any gun related accident with a child is one too many. It's not exactly rare either, I still hear about it all the time.

"X number of children die every day from firearm accidents" is one of those anti-gun statistics brought to the fore by gun control advocates starting back in the late 70s, I believe. Unfortunately, it's not a very compelling statistic when compared to the far more common causes of childhood mortality. More children die in traffic accidents, certainly. More children die every day in America from drowning in unattended 5 gallon buckets, if you can imagine that. More children die from fire, suffocation and choking on food than die from firearms. (Source: National Safety Council, Accident Facts: 2000 Edition, at 10, 11, 18.)

So, where's the push to ban 5 gallon buckets? Where is the criminal punishment for parents whose kids choke to death on a ravioli? Well, obviously, the firearm statistic, weak as it is, is one of those that anti-gunners pulled out of their asses to shock and disturb the general public. Why is it shocking? Because it's so freakishly rare.

Seriously, since the gun safety campaigns of the mid-1970s (which brought us all manner of trigger, cylinder and magazine locks), the rate of death among children by firearms has fallen by 50%, even though gun ownership has increased!

To me, and to many more informed gun owners, the statistical campaigns mounted by anti-gunners are nothing less than fear-mongering propaganda, aimed at an ignorant and impressionable American public who have been conditioned through police state television to flee and cower from firearms and those who use them.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

"X number of children die every day from firearm accidents" is one of those anti-gun statistics brought to the fore by gun control advocates starting back in the late 70s, I believe. Unfortunately, it's not a very compelling statistic when compared to the far more common causes of childhood mortality. More children die in traffic accidents, certainly. More children die every day in America from drowning in unattended 5 gallon buckets, if you can imagine that. More children die from fire, suffocation and choking on food than die from firearms. (Source: National Safety Council, Accident Facts: 2000 Edition, at 10, 11, 18.)

So, where's the push to ban 5 gallon buckets? Where is the criminal punishment for parents whose kids choke to death on a ravioli? Well, obviously, the firearm statistic, weak as it is, is one of those that anti-gunners pulled out of their asses to shock and disturb the general public. Why is it shocking? Because it's so freakishly rare.

Seriously, since the gun safety campaigns of the mid-1970s (which brought us all manner of trigger, cylinder and magazine locks), the rate of death among children by firearms has fallen by 50%, even though gun ownership has increased!

To me, and to many more informed gun owners, the statistical campaigns mounted by anti-gunners are nothing less than fear-mongering propaganda, aimed at an ignorant and impressionable American public who have been conditioned through police state television to flee and cower from firearms and those who use them.

— Doc Velocity

Thanks Doc Velocity, that does clear up a lot about what I hear on both sides of the argument. I guess a part of me still wants to decrease unnecessary suffering as much as possible. But death happens. And the bit about the buckets? Wow, didn't know about that.

Not that I don't trust you or anything like that, I'm just more interested now. Do you have any specific links where I can read up more on this?

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
If that was to happen here, soliders would get killed just like about 20 of them are per day over in Iraq, but we go bigger guns than they do and a lot more people, so go figure.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Not that I don't trust you or anything like that, I'm just more interested now. Do you have any specific links where I can read up more on this?

Well, aside from directing you to the National Safety Council, where you may spend the rest of your natural life studying their endless files, there are places where such statistics are compiled, specifically regarding firearms. I'd recommend taking a look at GunOwners.org for starters.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Well, aside from directing you to the National Safety Council, where you may spend the rest of your natural life studying their endless files, there are places where such statistics are compiled, specifically regarding firearms. I'd recommend taking a look at GunOwners.org for starters.

— Doc Velocity

Doc,
That is a very intresting site. Thanks. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

I had no idea how many people perished from accidental poisionings.

Even bee stings. Also Narcotics. Very intresting breakdowns.

THanks again fo the site.

Orangetom

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Well, allow me to clarify something about kids drowning in buckets — while drowning is the second greatest cause of accidental death among children between the ages of 0 and 14, the 5 gallon bucket danger applies exclusively to toddlers (who happen to be the perfect height to fall into a partially-filled bucket).

— Doc Velocity

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join