It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Help Explain...N.Korean nuke talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
What's going on. One time I hear Rice got it took care of. Then they were cooperating. Now:

U.S.: N.Korean nuke talks may restart

I am genuinely confus'ed.

BEIJING - The U.S. envoy to talks on dismantling
North Korea's nuclear programs said Friday that negotiations could resume in a week or two after they abruptly ended without progress because of a financial dispute.

This week's failed session was the latest blow to the six-nation negotiations and could imperil

If someone could give me a different view, maybe through the process of elimination, I can figure out what's really going on.

[edit on 3/23/2007 by bothered]

mod edit: title clarity

[edit on 23-3-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
There are many reasons why the talks could of ended. To my knowledge the dispute was not publicised. I'm with you on the confusion, from what I heard the talks were going swimmingly.

If you're interested you can read my old thread regarding past efforts regarding North Korea's nuclear programme.

OP/ED: The North Korean Nuclear Confrontation: A History Of Efforts

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
$25 million in frozen assets that the North Koreans want back. Americans say it's a Chinese matters, Chinese say it's a matter of giving them time to unfreeze the assets. North Koreans want their money before progressing the talks further. With N. Koreans unwilling to negotiate without their money forces the six party talks into a recess until progression can again be made by political talks.

[edit on 23-3-2007 by bluesquareapple]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluesquareapple
$25 million in frozen assets that the North Koreans want back. Americans say it's a Chinese matters, Chinese say it's a matter of giving them time to unfreeze the assets. North Koreans want their money before progressing the talks further. With N. Koreans unwilling to negotiate without their money forces the six party talks into a recess until progression can again be made by political talks.

[edit on 23-3-2007 by bluesquareapple]

Now, is this money that was taken from them, or offered?

It's got my curiosity. Are we being extorted?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Sounds like money that was "frozen" which is what sanctions are for. In reward for the talks, we are "unfeezing" some of their assets.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
19 September 2005, Joint Statement of the Fourth Round of the Six-Party Talks is signed with intention for further agreements. Solid progress is finally being made after Bush unilaterally violated the Agreed Framework.

A few days later the Bush admin accused North Korea of passing funny money and took action that resulted in Dear Leaders Joyfund Account being frozen in a Macau bank.

Dear leader blows steam out of his ears, ends talks, and orders full steam ahead on the nuclear weapons program.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by Malichai]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
So, I'm not to believe the Rosy Picture painted by the news channels. Wasn't even aware that the sanctions could be unfrozen in trickle fashion. Pavlov would be proud.

Don't know about everyone, but this type of action would mandate more covertness. Especially with the propaganda issued in the monitoring state about how things were at times: Just Peachy.

top topics

join