It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Laws & what we SHOULD know about

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
hey all,
I was thinking about the laws that are placed on every citizen of a country, young or old. Why is it that it is just expected that we know the laws, and understand them, and why is it expected that we know our Rights?

I think that this is something the government should make kids learn about, instead of forcing us to take something like French (since I'm Canadian).

Would it not be beneficial to the whole legal system if everybody that was guided by it, knew it properly?? Instead this is just assumed for us to know, and up to certain people, we may, or may not have in our lives to teach us.

I think it would make for a friendlier society if we fully understood what is expected of us. also, I think their should be more honour placed on law abiding citizens, via tax breaks maybe?

comments please!

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by acura_el2000
I think that this is something the government should make kids learn about.

Would it not be beneficial to the whole legal system if everybody that was guided by it, knew it properly??

Absolutely agree with your suggestion.

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

In Australia, our Constitution is not in the curriculum. I believe legal studies in the later part of high school does cover some ground. That is not enough imo. Especially as a child can be criminally charged for an offence at an age where they would be in primary school. And yet, this is not taught to children until high school.

In all Australian criminal jurisdictions children under fourteen are presumed criminally incapable. This presumption of criminal incapacity has an irrebuttable and a rebuttable form depending on the age of the child. Since 2000 when Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory raised the age level, the age under which a child is irrebuttably presumed criminally incapable is now ten throughout Australia. [1] For children aged ten but not yet fourteen the presumption is conditional and may be rebutted by proof that the child understood the wrongfulness of what they were doing.

doli incapax

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well, I'm not sure if this standsfor the whole country or not, but at my
school one of the required calsses to graduate is government, and we
are taught all about the constiution, our rights and how the government
works.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Yeah, but only one semester right? how much did you really learn?? The real question is what didn't you learn...

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by acura_el2000
Yeah, but only one semester right? how much did you really learn?? The real question is what didn't you learn...

Yes, we are only required to take one semester, but they can take
another semester, though since it is a part of senior year, that's
unlikely because of scheduling.

We spent two weeks reading the constitution, and discussing it.
We learned how the government works, and what rights we are
guaranteed.

We also learned about how the elections, on all levels work.

What we did'nt learn is every exact minute detail of how the
government operates.
I really don't think anyone learns all of that, even those who choose
to study government more.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
While it is a good idea to be taught these things, it is my thought that the governments of the world would rather have their citizens ignorant and oblivious, it keeps them docile. The lack of knowledge cannot be blamed on the government, as it is there for anyone to learn, but most humans are lazy and will only learn what is necessary. The governments know this and take advantage of it.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
this is what I was kind of alluding too^ its unfair that its just give us assumed knowledge. some sort of handbook should be given to all citizens, like a phonebook almost.

new topics

top topics

join