It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broadbands powerful future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Heres a link to a story that states that broadband internet will be run through your outlets in your home in the near future.VERY COOL IDEA.Any thoughts?

MBF

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Something needs to happen, this 21.6kps is killing me. It's the fastest I can get unless I go to sat.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Are you serious!?! You live in the boonies by chance?

As for Broadband of Power, I heard that there is issues with that in the USA that has to do with the frequencies of the power served to homes. The European system uses a much "cleaner" system and thus is easier to use for this type of thing as there is less noise. It would be a pretty good thing if it were to happen, but I gotta wonder, will it clog the electron tubes?

[edit on 22-3-2007 by sardion2000]

Edn

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
We have had this in parts of Scotland for a few years now, its good for people in rural areas where the conventional methods aren't possible.

MBF

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Are you serious!?! You live in the boonies by chance?

Yep! When I first got internet, it would go 28.8kps. Sometimes it goes as low as 14kps. I talked to a repairman and he told me that they were only required to provide 9kps. I just don't even try to download e-mail files that are over 1meg.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
First Energy Corp. has pilot programs running in Ohio and I believe Georgia(?) They're not the only ones mind you. Virtually all of the major power companies have readily embraced the technology, despite setbacks just after 2000.

Here's an article that provides some excellent insight and overall description of how it will work.

A two-pin plug and you have broadband

Sounds like a dream, doesn't it? An ordinary electrical outlet equipped with a BPL modem delivers your data, voice and video communications - at a rate that is faster than DSL and cable today. The market potential is so huge that companies like AT&T, IBM, Cisco, Mitsubishi, Motorola, Google and many of the major power companies in the country have invested in the technology and trial programs.

It seems the two major hurdles to overcome are interference with other radio frequencies and dialup or lower speeds due to less than adequate [outdated] internal wiring in homes.

When this takes off, if not really being a question, I think you'll see most everything coming in through one "pipe". Broadband, VOIP, TV, etc.

The infrastructure has been in place for ages and the range of coverage is, well, wherever there's an outlet to plug into.

Bring it on.

[edit on 22-3-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
There's also WiMax:

en.wikipedia.org...

where they use modified, existing tech to spread the area covered by the 2.x range in G Hz to cover an area by 50-60 miles. This is already in operation in some areas, and has got the land-line companies in a scramble.

If I'm not mistaken, NetGear makes a home networking device that operates on the circuitry within a house to set up a network. So, the technology works. Those dominating the scene now, though, are way against it. Tough. There's too much money to ignore upstarts.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Sure, in your home it seems like you've gotten your internet a completley new way, but notice how they have to feed the signal into your household power AFTER the transformer... which means you still have a modem at your house, only it's connected at the pole.
The internet provider still has to run an internet line out to your house, and then link it up to your household power just outside your house, I fail to see how that could help rural areas.

I don't see why... sure it will save you tripping over a couple of extra wires IN your house, but other than that, it's just a needless extra step to deliver the same signal.

x08

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I don't see why... sure it will save you tripping over a couple of extra wires IN your house, but other than that, it's just a needless extra step to deliver the same signal.

will it? I don't think the power box in your pc is gunna be very good at interpreting internet signals.. so you still need a wire from powerpoint -> modem~

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Umm Im a bit skeptical about this technology until I see a demonstration that goes like this:

- you get your internet though your outlet and sign into a Voip Service like skype and start surfing and downloading at the same time....
- start talking to someone else on a land line (not voip)
- now get 2 or 3 neighbours to turn on and off their power saw/compressor/motor/Pc/microwave/oven
- see if your connection drops
- end of demonstration

Will the internet signal come before or after the step down transformer in your residential area?
What about Neighbours that live next to a commercial building? (bigger motors that introduce more noise, voltage spikes if not isolated properly)

Just a few quick things I came up with, but if they already thought about
all of this then DSL / cable companies will have a run for their money....

[OFF TOPIC]
Actually what some telco companies are doing, is slowly expanding their range and slowly introducing fiber / specially on new communities.....now fiber to the home is reallly the way to go
but its way too $$ to implement in everyone's home for now.....

Im just waiting for a big cost effective breakthough in wireless with a good upstream speed and long range ( without giving you cancer right away
)

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Hmm,
Im righting off my memory so might be totally wrong, I heard about about broadband through the electrical net a few years ago, altough it was to connect different rooms in a house to each other. and then you would connect your "electric box" to a modem, or a fibre, the problem was that the system utilized the same electrical phase. So it's possible to have a network over the electrical net, only if the users belongs to the same transformer (and same phase). If I remember correct there was also instability problems with interference, because the AC (@ 50-60Hz) isn't a perfect sinus signal, and was easily disturbed by motors, vacuum cleaners etc. Altough with signal processing that shouldn't be a problem. I'll have to read more in the urls of what they are actually describing =)

[edit on 2007-3-30 by Nothing]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
Something needs to happen, this 21.6kps is killing me. It's the fastest I can get unless I go to sat.

I have Hughes used to be Direcway, while it is a significant improvement over dialup it is nowhere close to digital cable service I once had when I lived in an urban area.

I keep waiting for the sat technology advances, though with limited competition this will be a slow process....

new topics

top topics

join