It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To serve and protect?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This police officer was not in badge or uniform when he assulted this woman, but the fact remains he is an officer of the law and we should be able to expect some sort of moral conduct from these people even out of uniform.

The display that I saw in this video was one of the most disgusting things that I have witnessed in a long time. I think since we have started to get video of these crimes we are starting to see that there are quite a few bad apples in society that are suppose to be serving and protecting humanity.

The thing that worries me most is that if this officer of the law was in uniform with badge and gun and under other circumstances the suspect would probably be dead. I think it would be good to have a look at this guys history over the last 12 years. If he could do this to a 5'1, 115 pound woman who knows what else he is capable of.

Had the camera not picked this up, he would have gotten off with a misdemeanor charge. I don't want to live in a survellence society anymore than anyone else does, but sometimes the camera is the only witness we have to these attocities.

This is the most disgusting thing that I have seen in a very long time. To watch this guy beat her like she was a piece of meat and knowing that this is who is suppose to be helping to serve and protect the citizens of Chicago, it's just mind numbing.

Though we understand that cops are human and entitled to a bad day, and they do a stressful job, that does not give them the right to act like this in any capacity, and the fact that he was not on the job, or drunk does not excuse the behaviour, I am sure if he acts like this in one capacity, he is fully capable and able to act like this in other capacities.

us.video.aol.com..."

us.video.aol.com..."

What was more disgusting for me were the guys in the background that were initially just standing around while this wild drunken man went after this small woman, I mean she's like tiny, and the guys in the background are doing nothing. Police or not, this guy was viciously beating this woman and the guys did nothing.

I just don't understand society sometimes. Anyways this story has a semi happy ending because after seeing the video, they upgraded the charges from a misdeameanour and they are looking to get this guy off the force, but the sad part is for everyone 1 the camera picks up, there are probably hundreads more that will never see justice.

How can we really get things turned around and changed as a society? Do we really have to be out there in civilian formation behind every cop to make sure that they are accountable, or is there some kind of screening process that could be done to make sure that we get less of these violent types attracted to these positions of power and authority?

How can the system be imporved.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
These links should work.

us.video.aol.com...

us.video.aol.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
That was beyond disturbing. I'd like to think that yes, our officers should set a good example... but we see things like this time and time again. No matter what is expected of any position, people are people, and capable of pretty horrifying things.

And the other men just standing around? Wow. Maybe they were afraid of what he'd do to them, but yeesh. He was throwing her around like a rag doll.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hi Lilin.

It was more than a rag doll, he was working her over like a punching bag, or a piece of meat. Now I don't understand a lot about being drunk, I just think it's an excuse that people use for bad behaviour. Don't get me wrong I am sure that alchol does affect people's perceptions of situations and things like that, but I honestly believe if this was not a part of this guys character sober he could not have done this drunk.

I have been upset about this all morning. Like he just worked her over. Can you imagine him in uniform with a badge and a gun? I worry about his suspects men or woman, especially if he has had a bad day. But those hits he was given her. Then the kicks, it's like horrible to watch, and I have watched it a least 5 times and each time I get more upset. You know sometimes you see it the first time and then it looks bad, but you watch it again and it was not as bad as you thought, but that's not the case here, each time I watch it it's worst than the first time that I saw it.

It would be bad enough if he was just a regular guy working over a woman like that, but to know that the next day someone like this could have been back in badge and uniform if it was not caught on tape is disgusting. I just don't think being drunk can be an excuse for this. Something in your character has got to be accounted for and I think drunk or sober this guy is capable of these actions

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I think you're right. Alcohol is no excuse. I think it might just bring to the surface content that is already clearly in place.

Yes, it is insanely scary to think about this man on the job. Thankfully, at least, this particular case has been brought to light.

I think you raised an interesting point earlier though. Surveillance definitely helped in this case, but what will that entail for not-so-dangerous criminals caught on tape in the future? We all know how silly some laws are/have been. It's an old debate, and frankly, one I have no idea even how to begin tackling.

I wonder if all the others in the bar would have reported this incident accurately had there been no camera. Though, I expect there was plenty of proof on her body

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I wonder if all the others in the bar would have reported this incident accurately had there been no camera. Though, I expect there was plenty of proof on her body

I doubt it because they had it down as a misdemeanor at first and I guess that's when her boss released the tape. Good thing he had that camera there. I mean to hear about it from him it would have been just a few drunken hits, and probably no big deal, but to see it is another story. There is no way an eye witness could have described this accurately.

I think maybe the reason they did not help could be because they knew he was a cop, the shock, but also because they did not want to get beat down the same way.

There was proof on her body, but they were going to charge him with just a misdemeanor, then with the tape the charges have been upgraded. So looks like with all the eye witnesses, who would maybe have not spoken out against a cop, the bruises on her body, he would have got the misdemeanor charge, now with the tape it's felony assault or something like that. So the tape made a difference.

df1

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I've mentioned the Police Complaint Center (PCC) several times in another thread, but it is worthy to mention it again here. The problem at hand is that police need to be kept on a regulatory leash just like any other government bureaucrats and the US Congress & state legislatures are not getting the job done.

We the people got this one and a few others nailed with video, however these just scratches the surface of the problem. C'mon folks, crank up your digital video cams and make your local police officers the media stars that they deserve to be.

[edit on 22-3-2007 by df1]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Another aspect of this case is that she was doing her part in upholding the law by refusing to serve a customer alchohol when he appeared to drunk to have more. She is mandated by the law to do this. Bartenders are made to attempt to enforce a public law to not serve drunk people which consistantly place them in danger by doing so. Drunk people can be unpredictable and she should not be put in that situation with nothing to protect her like cops have, like guns and back up personel.

They also said on CNN that someone attempted to bribe her afterwards into not pressing charges.

Scary.................

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
HI df1.

We the people got this one and a few others nailed with video, however these just scratches the surface of the problem. C'mon folks, crank up your digital video cams and make your local police officers the media stars that they deserve to be.

This or something similar is going to have to be done. There are no words that could have explained what I saw in this video.

Hearing her talk about it, could never have expressed what he did to her.

I think we the people are going to have to find a way to do something about this. Video cameras in hand, etc. It's just people do not want to have to walk behind the police to baby sit them, then we would just police ourselves. There has to be an in between way.

I mean even if we did police the police, this guy was off duty, and we would never have caught the crime. Had her boss not just installed that camera, we would never know what he did to her. It's outrageous. It's like watching a bear wrestling with a small dear or something.

Hi interestedalways.

They also said on CNN that someone attempted to bribe her afterwards into not pressing charges.

Scary.................

Scarier would have been her without the video trying to go forward. This guys father is a cop, they probably have others in his family. Then you have his fathers friends, and his friends and the blue wall. I mean without this video, had she tried to go forward they would have tried to make her life a living hell, if she did not take the bribe and stay quite, and don't
forget witness intimidation.

I heard that in the Sean Bell case that the people in his neighbourhood received threats, and the cops were on the prowl looking for that additional witness who may or may not have been there that night. It's very scary stuff, and the citizens should not be afraid of, or scared of those who are there to serve and protect them.

She's pretty strong to have fought him off like that. He could have done way more damage to her. See had we just seen her on tv, without the video, there is no way I would have thought that the attack could have been that bad.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is the second incident this week I've seen about cops assaulting citizens. There was another incident here in south florida where a cop pulled a woman off the street and tried to rape her in his patrol car.

If I get stopped by the police, I'm not getting out of the car or opening the window. I will call 911 from my cellphone.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hi annestacey.

If I get stopped by the police, I'm not getting out of the car or opening the window. I will call 911 from my cellphone.

That or get the video camera out and try live broadcasting. I mean you want to trust the police, but this does not give a person reason to.

I am trying to find that story on the internet, do you have a link?

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

Good one, annestacey.

It has become very sad that the distortortion has become nearly complete. We pay thier salaries, yet we are the enemy. Go figure.

And remember anything you say can and will be used against you.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Here's the link to that story:

Miami Police Officer Arrested On Rape, Kidnapping Charges

Miami police say one of their own is facing serious charges after being accused of rape and kidnapping.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This is far beyond reprehensible.

To have a 200+ lb man beating the life out of a defenseless woman, all because she cut him off at the bar, is disgusting. The fact that he is/was a cop is even more disgusting.

Just because you have a badge and a gun doesnt give you the authority to act like there is NO authority.

This guy should get thrown in the clink for a long time.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yup.

I could tell quite a FEW stories about dirty cops like this, but no one on here would likely believe me. Good thing they got video of this pig beating up this poor woman, else SHE might not have been believed. I hope they nail this swine's ass to the wall.

Hell, pigs arrested my homey last week and beat up his car. He didn't get it on tape, but he has pics of his car without the damage. But, it's likely nothing will happen; he filed a complaint with the SAME dirty police department.:shk:

What do want me to do; I told him to file it at a different department.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
you will always find those who abuse their badge and wear it as a crown to rule with rather than to serve those whom they are supposed to protect. I myself am going to college to be a cop, and plan to serve and protect those who cant protect themselves or need my help. I'm a people person, so this an idel job for me, I love being around people all the time. Most cops do their jobs, its a shame a minority ruins their reputation as a whole.

top topics

join