It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

throwing knives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
i don't use them and have only thrown a knife as a sort of "lark" so i want to know from the point of view of someone who knows are throwing knives effective as weapons and if so what are the specs of a good throwing knife/knives. examples the ones idev seen in catalogues don't look as though they have enough mass to be useful at any range.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
There are some models that are made for professional throwing competitions. The ones Ive been recommended to use have several holes down the length of the handle. I have a set of 3 Jaguar throwing knives, and Im looking to get a few more larger knives to add to my collection. My advise would be to shop around. Are you looking to throw knives for competition or just making a wooden target to throw at.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Throwing knives require a lot of practice, and knives with good "balance". The knife-throwing scenes in action movies are Hollywood fantasty, IMO.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blade The Hunter
Are you looking to throw knives for competition or just making a wooden target to throw at.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between the two? (something in the actual make of the knife?)

Besides, if it's for survival, we'd all be throwin' knives, hitting wooden targets (trees) in competition with each other for vittles...

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The high quality throwing knives are made by companies like Hibben. There are cheaper knives but if its quality and balance, Id go with Hibben.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The best, IMO, are the ones approx. 2-2&1/2" in length with small, circular holes as the base, rather than a handle. Designed to be launched from a sling of rope. Very devastating, extremely accurate, and high-velocity.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
By far the one of the deadliest close range hand thrown weapon man has every invented is the throwing ax. Even a glancing blow can be deadly because when 14-24 ounces of hardened steel hits at 40-50 mph, it will crush bone with ease. Throwing stars and caltrops aren't necessarily deadly but they'll slow down any pursuer quickly especially in the dark. I would look to the ninja style of throwing devices rather than throwing knives for practical self defense. If you're desiring an easy to operate self defense weapon that doesn't require a lot of practice, I'd look to a quality crossbow pistol of 50 lbs pull or more. I owned a cheap one and could shoot its bolts with deadly accuracy out to 30-35 yards until it fell apart on me. In a close in urban night fight, you'd have the advantage over any throwing knife.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I will admit Ive never used a throwing axe, you have a very good point on that. I was thinking more of the concealability factor because knives are smaller than the throwing axe.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I have seen knife throwers who had excellent accuracy and could potentially be deadly. How does it pan out in real world combat? You could be the best knife thrower in the world and look like a real ass if your enemy bats the projectile out of the air or even worse, moves! I think you risk everything on a lot of circumstances you just can't control.

I can still recall when I was a young guy - up till my mid 20's my brothers and friends were always fair game for tossing junk at. Most projectiles were always batted away or caught and never hit the intended area unless the person was caught totally unaware.

I see it in movies a lot, you know the stealthy special ops guy who throws the knife hitting the unsuspecting guard instantly killing with only the soft thud of said guard falling to the ground dead

Anyways man, I know I was just tossing my opinion out without any real info that you requested but it just seems like a big stretch to use a throwing knife as an effective weapon.

- NSBiz

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
IMO never ever ever ever throw your knife. You throw it its gone and your survival just became extreamly hard instead of just hard. Well that my opinion anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Lol the otha guy can pick it up and throw it back at you. Throwing knives well isn't too bad a skill to know though. I'm gonna start learning to do so, neva know, it could be a good skill. I am gonna start learning Systema, and there we like to throw special army shovels, those things damage! lol

If I had to throw anything, I'd throw a grenade
hehe

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
blade is right you need a "balanced" knife,i prefer butcher knives a lot of damage and you can find them easy,the best is not to throw but stab and turn the knife inside the wound.i know i am a sick puppy

top topics

join