It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pope's Speech: What exactly did he do that was so wrong?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
With reference to the Pope's speech last year, I am still at a loss as to specifically what this man has done that has upset so many within the Middle East

There seems to be a lot of accusation, yet little if any, substance. I am of the view that during the speech, the Pope did nothing more than quote his source - in a Western society this is generally interpreted as a means of validating one's view which, in the case of the Pope was a call for better understanding. That doesn't sound like hate speech to me; I feel that he was using the speach to preface his defence of all religions.

I'd be interested to know your views on this matter so that I can become better informed. Thank you.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Ross Cross]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Eh, it was the old political manipulation thing.

Take a quote out of context, put the most negative spin possible on it, and get the mob outraged and noisy and following whatever you tell them to do.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ross Cross
With reference to the Pope's speech last year, I am still at a loss as to specifically what this man has done that has upset so many within the Middle East

There seems to be a lot of accusation, yet little if any, substance. I am of the view that during the speech, the Pope did nothing more than quote his source - in a Western society this is generally interpreted as a means of validating one's view which, in the case of the Pope was a call for better understanding. That doesn't sound like hate speech to me; I feel that he was using the speach to preface his defence of all religions.

I'd be interested to know your views on this matter so that I can become better informed. Thank you.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Ross Cross]

And the response to the speech was acts of violence. I was shocked, utterly shocked!

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think it's worrying that it didn't appear to be just a bunch of mindless thugs who were outraged. There does not appear to be a valid justification for the demands placed on the Pope by those thugs or any Muslim representatives.

There is certainly no justification whatsoever to threaten innocent people with murder, or condone those that do.

As far as I can establish, the Pope merely quoted his source (which he disagreed with) and used it to emphasise a call for better relations. Yet he is accused of being an orchestrator of hate. Ridiculous.

[edit on 22-3-2007 by Ross Cross]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Ugh, the pope can't be taken seriously. I mean he wears a friggen' fish on his head (the doggon fish god) and seriously, if anyone takes his speech wrong and take it personally, well there you go.

/7A

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Hi 7Ayreon,

To be honest I'm not referring to the Pope's appearance or his position, but the way in which a speech has been interpreted by sections of a community.

Looking for answers appears as easy as asking a dog to catch it's own tail.

I see no reason for the violence and the threats over what the Pope said, other than it seems a fashionable to act in this manner. This is where I think a person's position is important, since we are not dealing with a mostly secular society but one where some people have great influence over the actions of others. If that influence extends to defending the indefensible then I think it should be challenged.

[edit on 25-3-2007 by Ross Cross]

new topics

top topics

join