It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Guitar Solo Ever?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
Does anyone know the name of the song in the Ralph Machio piece?

It sounds like a classical Spanish (Flamenco?) tune.

I dont think that the piece has an actual name other than the Crossroads Duel. I do know that the guitarist that did Ralph's set was Ry Cooder.

You can easily find the tabs on the internet, and if you decide to give it a shot, good luck...them fingers are movin too quick for me.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
"All along the watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix

"Red House" also by Hendrix

"Whipping Post" by Dwayne Allman and The Allman Brothers Band

"Another brick in the wall" by Pink Floyd

"Running Down a Dream" Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (with an awsome solo by guest Jeff Lynne)

"Lights Out (in London)" by UFO

" Ride my see-saw" By the Moody Blues

" Voodoo Child (slight return)" by SRV

Maybe not the best of all time but they're the ones that get my motor running!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
No way I'm qualified to select a "best" and it would be impossible to even name a single all-time favorite. But this one's sure on my list, and it ought to be on everyone's somewhere.

Alvin Lee and 10 Years After at Woodstock

You're welcome.

Yeahright - Alvin Lee's performance at Woodstock was electrifying and to this very day I can not listen to that rendition of "Goin' Home" without getting goose - bumps. Thanks for posting the Vidoe link as well.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I can't believe there are no mentions of AC/DC of Dream Theater?

I would say that anything from "Scenes from a Memory" by Dream Theater ( I know there are better, but those are the ones I like) are really good.

As for AC/DC, I'd go with some of the classics, Hells Bells, Let there be Rock, Whole Lotta Rosie, Thunderstruck, the list goes on.

Oh yea, one more I forgot to mention...

MOTORHEAD!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Eddie Van Halen “Eruption” definitely No.1
In my Kiddies times I remember turning up the volume and played that solo over and over.
The Neighbor’s loved it
– and in 1979 that was a unique sound….

2. Garry Moore “Over the Hills and Far Away’
Very sexy solo ….

3. For some reason I like the solo parts at the end of Motorhead's "Overkill"
Simple but catchy – maybe the driving drum rhythm adds to the ear pleasure and soothes my soul…

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by frozen_snowman
Eddie Van Halen “Eruption” definitely No.1
In my Kiddies times I remember turning up the volume and played that solo over and over.
The Neighbor’s loved it
– and in 1979 that was a unique sound….

2. Garry Moore “Over the Hills and Far Away’
Very sexy solo ….

3. For some reason I like the solo parts at the end of Motorhead's "Overkill"
Simple but catchy – maybe the driving drum rhythm adds to the ear pleasure and soothes my soul…

Hmm. Great minds think alike.
Good call on EVH & Moore and that Motorhead song just may be Fast Eddie Clark on the guitar. A great player and very underrated. His Fastway material is still in my cover bands rotation and I never get sick of playing them.

Im impressed with every post so far in this thread.

[edit on 14-4-2007 by VType]

[edit on 14-4-2007 by VType]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Dreamtheatre maybe, but AC/DC ,don't get me wrong they rock. But their solos aren't remarkable, I mean were talking about the best solos ever, Angus's solos are great! But not the best.

-Jimmy-

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
No offesne, I love AC/DC, but a lot of their rhythms sound exactly the same.

I'd have to vote "Comfortably Numb" for the best solo, and David Gilmour as the best guitarist. I don't really like the fast shredding stuff, but the nice, wailing bends and sustain that David Gilmour is famous for really hits you in a way you can't explain. His solos are very haunting.

TheRanchMan

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I'd have to vote "Comfortably Numb" for the best solo, and David Gilmour as the best guitarist.
TheRanchMan

This is funny. I was going to add this song in the next days - since I had some contemplation. Yes "Comfortably Numb" very good choice:

I wished that youtube video would have a better sound quality....have some beer it helps.... enjoy

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I disagree guys.

Angus has been infulential in the foundation for rock as we hear it today. Buckcherry, Def Leppard, Tenacious D, and me for example, just to name a few, have been inspired by the "Thunder from down under!" Yes, I will agree, they are the masters of the 3 chord wonders, but even so, you can't deny that most of thier songs are catchy, sexually fueled party anthems, with amazing guitar solos!

Just take a listen to Let there be Rock, Angus shreds that Gibson SG! Or, moreover, if you want something with more meaning, listen to Ride On, the solo on that is haunting!

I grew up listening to these guys, and they've inspired me to be a musician (Cliff Williams ROCKS btw,
) and make it to that ultimate paying gig.

Those guys are awesome, in my book, and Angus is in the top 5 best guitarists ever.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by Valdimer]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Eagles...One of These Nights...one of the tastiest solos ever!

Cream...White Room...we are not worthy!!

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The solo which dominates this video is among the best, imo. The solo starts at 5:25 (remaining time).

Veteran of the Psychic Wars - Blue Oyster Cult

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valdimer
I disagree guys.
Just take a listen to Let there be Rock, Angus shreds that Gibson SG! Or, moreover, if you want something with more meaning, listen to Ride On, the solo on that is haunting!
[edit on 16-4-2007 by Valdimer]

If there is a 'BEST RIFF' post, I would have ACADACA on top of my list.
Angus is with no doubt on of the best 'active' guitarists on stage - He is for sure not a boring 'poser' like many others.
I got the Live in Munich DVD and by god (or is it devil?) he is very energetic for his age - kudos. This is another proof that alcohol preserves ... ... not to mention the amount of cigarettes he smokes

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
There ought to be some mention of Yngwie Malmsteen,

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearwater
There ought to be some mention of Yngwie Malmsteen,

I have never heard of him. That adds an interesting touch to classical music.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
He's brilliant, and so easy to parody - Mozart reincarnate. Heh heh

He actually taught God how to play guitar.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Listen to this Zappa solo from 1973. The solo is starting two minutes into the video (6:36 remaining time).

[color=76EEC6]Frank Zappa - Montana

Sweden 1973

[edit on 2007/4/18 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Ok, I guess we all agreed that Zappa had the best solo. Agreed!

And Steve Vai is going to sue me for this one...

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
well im gonna name a few that havent been named yet. I agree with most that have been posted so im not sayin these are the best i just like them a lot and am throwin them out there. white room by cream is sick, know your enemy by rage against the machine, doesnt remind me by audioslave, basically any liquid tension experiment or john petrucci, maybe some chili peppers, but hendrix is sick

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
my top guitar solos are as follows:

Jimi hendrix -any thing from the band of gypsys album all good stuff especialy "machine gun"

Johhny winter- "rock me baby" just some down and dirty texas blues guitar

Stevie ray vaughan- "texas flood" off of the el macombo video. the faces stevie makes while playing this song give me goosebumps

the allmann brothers, "blue sky" a great solo .
Gregg allmans, "im no angel" has a great guitar solo

Lynyrd Skynyrd, free bird is great but i love "Poisin Whiskey" alan, and gary tear it up on that track!

Mountain- "Mississippi Queen," leslie west is a bad a$$!

Isley Brothers, "whos that lady"

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join