It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maxwell's equations wrong?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hello,
I've recently read in a scientific paper that was approved by the heads of the science division, forgive me I read this a while ago and I can't remember the abbreviation of the science community that reviewed the paper. Anyways, this paper stated that Maxwell's equations, which are the fundamental equations for understanding Electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with charged particles, is actually wrong. Well not the way he intended them to be anyways.

The article actually says that Maxwell died before he was able to finish the equations, which he did, and that Lorentz came along and finished them, which he did. But it also said that Lorentz apparently scrapped parts, or additional equations which Maxwell had because the math was too complicated. In a sense he paraphrased them. It also says that the equations that we have today do pretty much everything basic, but are missing some fine details.

I will say I'm not sure if the source is good, because he goes on to say how the extra parts of the equation actually can be used to build a magnetic wenkel motor with a CP > 100. which is impossible, from what we know. We'll figure it out eventually, anyways if anyone else has heard of this or knows anything of it that would be awesome

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Untrue. Maxwell's equations and its generalisation to include magnetic as well as electric charges are complete. Maxwell did not, however, write them in the form they are known now. Those who believe in so-called 'scalar electromagnetic waves' completely misunderstood the significance of Heaviside's discovery that the 4-magnetic vector potential can be expressed in terms of the gradient of a scalar quantity. They wrongly interpreted it as meaning that the electromagnetic field is not just a combination of transverse electric and magnetic fields but possesses a longitudinal component as well. I'm unsure whether this is what you are really referring to, but Maxwell's equations do not need any extra terms. They have been derived independently in all kinds of ways. If they were incomplete, quantum electrodynamics would never have been as successful a theory as it is.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is all very true... thank you for clarifying... I actually agree with you but I am just beginning my Engineering Physics degree, so my base on these topics is a little shakey

again thanks

MBF

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandothe2nd
I am just beginning my Engineering Physics degree

Good luck, you have a long hard road ahead of you, but stick with it and don't give up. I loved physics but hated the tests.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
haha thanks man, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far! The tests aren't too bad so far but the work load is enough to drive a man insane! Also I am wondering, you studied EP as well? if so where did you study?

MBF

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandothe2nd
haha thanks man, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far! The tests aren't too bad so far but the work load is enough to drive a man insane! Also I am wondering, you studied EP as well? if so where did you study?

I didn't go to a big name college, just a local one, ABAC in Tifton, Ga., then to Southern Tech in Mariettia, Ga.(it had just broke away from Georgia Tech when I went there). Looking back, that was a good move. The teachers at ABAC would spend time with you to help you and the classes were small. I think there were about ten people in my physics classes. In fact, my physics professor set up my brother and sister-in-law.

When we finished our physics and calculus at ABAC, we were told that we could hold our own against the best in the country(Georgia Tech, MIT,etc...) and I believe them. I was even offered a full scolarship in physics at another college, but turned it down to go into mechanical engineering.

I we

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
click here

Here's the information that I believe was originally requested providing data that accurately refutes the equations as stated.
edit on 17-8-2017 by SteveOoh because: My url wasn't entered properly.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: brandothe2nd
this paper stated that Maxwell's equations, which are the fundamental equations for understanding Electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with charged particles, is actually wrong.

Maxwell's Equations are neither right nor wrong.

They are just a "tool of interpretation".

Whenever we find the tool doesn't quite work, we "fix it", by adding new parts.

So, for example, Maxwell's Equations in free space doesn't work inside material objects.

So, we "fix it", by adding new parts, called "Polarization" and "Magnetization", to explain why the theory doesn't work.

Once we "fix it", the theory works again, but in it's new form.

There are "many", "many", such "fixes".

top topics

join