It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survival knives?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Gerber knives, I have been staking my life on them since 1981 and for personal combat/longevity they are the best I have found, as for type it's a personal choice. to me I like them best for self protection and have used them MANY times
My choice is the Gerber Guardian I wear the sheath upside down and it's a fast draw knife

www.gerbertools.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If you get a fixed blade, make sure it has a full tang (the tang is the portion that fits in the handle). If it does not, it may very well break where the blade meets the handle.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
Some one needs to tell the military forces of the world that the knife fighting training they go through is obsolete especially those Special Op's troops who routinely dispatch their enemies with knives for the sure, silent kill.

Based on the request, I assumed that the OP was not in the military, nor had any Special Op's training....

If the crap hits the fan, I can guarantee you that NOBODY will be sneaking up on me with a knife....

If flint is so great, why did our ancestors abandon it for metal some 5000 years ago? Durability, end of argument.

Agreed.....But, they also pretty much abandoned the knife for the firearm, no?

As such, my point is valid...

With a knife, I can make just about any thing I need to hunt or gather food. Can't do that with a firearm. How will you butcher your catch without a knife?

I said that a knife would be a good aid...My point was, as far as survival goes, it is not required....

As for the cleaning game question.....I would "butcher" anything I caught with shard of any rock. It's very possible you know.... Knives have the ability to be lost.....You can find a rock anywhere...

Human kind conquered nature by mastering the use of fire and learning how to make weapons and tools from metal. Neither skill is going away any time soon that I know of.

Mankind has not conquered nature.....Ask the victims of any hurricane, tornado, tsunami, or earthquake....Those are the people that have had to survive...Do you think they worried about having a damn knife? Don't take too much comfort in your bedroom playing with your knives....

You've been watching too much TV.

An unnecessary comment....

Not to mention, you are wrong....

Knives ARE obsolete.....Yes they are a weapon, but they require range and the art of surprise....

Knives ARE a good tool in certain situations, such as aiding in building the tools for the hunting and cleaning of animals.....

Knives ARE NOT required in a survival situation....Anything that can be fashioned to have a sharp edge would suffice....

I agree with the poster who mentioned having a survival pack that included tools such as fishing hooks, waterproof matches, etc....Heck, throw a knife in there too...Just don't expect to be able to kill someone with it, much less any animal that you "sneak up on".....

It's laughable to think that you can get close enough to most animals of size, much less take it down, with a simple knife.....You would end up harming yourself...That is not very survival minded.....

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
Gerber knives, I have been staking my life on them since 1981 and for personal combat/longevity they are the best I have found, as for type it's a personal choice. to me I like them best for self protection and have used them MANY times
My choice is the Gerber Guardian I wear the sheath upside down and it's a fast draw knife

www.gerbertools.com...

I agree, that Gerber makes good knives...

Might I ask though, what exactly you mean when you say...

.."they are the best for self protection and have used them MANY times".....

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Here's a link to Brigade Quartermaster.....not only a great selection of knives but everything you need in terms of survival gear.

www.actiongear.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Some like the multi-tools, ie Leatherman and others:

www.walmart.com...

and they also have a selection of other quality knives.

***I'm in no way affiliated with the above, only a customer.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
i would suggest theCRKT my tighe assisted opening folder. i use mine for everything from cutting open boxes,packaging,etc.,to personal defense when i don't have my gun with me. it's been dropped on concrete floors a total of four times, sat on top of hot, greasy engine copartments,and has cut straight through OLD,STIFF rubber gaskets,and the only signs of wear on it are on the pocket clip,and a little bit on the bottom where it constantly rubs against my pants. i've also done a little bit of last minute shaving with it. get the serrated version...

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I carry a Shrapnel Geo when in the wilds, along with an old British army clasp knife for delicate work.

The Geo has a 3 1/2 inch drop point blade which is fixed with a full-thickness tang. It is harder than a coffin nail, and has been used many times for gutting deer etc. I also use it to cut tent pegs, snares etc. It really is the dogs dangly bits for general work. It sharpens like dream too. Only down side is the price, but it really is a one time buy, as the thing lasts forever if cared for properly. I sharpen and oil it after every trip, and make sure that it is well cleand and dried when possible.

The clasp knife is useful for all those fiddly jobs. Hundreds of fish have been gutted with the thing. I got it when I was a wee sprog from my dad. It has a 2" folding blade, as well as a can opener and knot spike. Old, battered and beaten up, it follows me every where. I don't even notice it in my trouser pocket any more.

If I am going into the wild for any amount of time, I carry a small axe in my daysack. Dead handy for serious cutting (fire wood, shelter building etc.). Any job that it can't handle was never meant to be handled by me.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
No but it would probably not be needed for choping firewood. More for pssibly getting the fire started. (there are Survival Knifes that have Flint on them) and also cutting Kennelin.

Originally posted by northwolf
vekar
Tell me a one good use for a knife that requires a blade over 3"?
And chopping firewood is not a job for knife.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
to say a knife is obsolete is very silly, its the most basic survival tool, and your idiot point about shaping a garbage knife out of a stone proves your saying that you need a knife, but for some reason would prefer a rock.... btw, successful flint knives require a very specific type of rock, gl cutting up some fire wood with you rock knife. a knife allows you to set traps to catch game, then clean that game, then make a fire to eat it. useless? i think not. you are laughable my friend.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vekar

Due to cost savings I went to maine military supply and got a
swiss stainless steel bayonet and put a good edge on it.

It comes with a leather button down strap, and a belt loop
all for $25.

Swiss Stainless Steel Bayonet

Bang for the buck and durability it is hard to beat.

They come fairly dull on the edge so it takes some serious work
to get an edge on it.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well if anyone is interested, I have two fixed blade knives.

One was donated to me by a friend and I'm not to sure about it's make but it has a great wooden handle and as you say it is full tang.

The other knife I have is a frosts clipper, it's the carbon steel type that is great to use with the fire steels. It's also budget friendly.
Yes it may not be the best on the market but at the moment I am on the train of thought that something if better than nothing.

In my honest opinion the Frosts clipper is an outstanding first time knife.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have two fixed blades in use, One is a modified AK47 bayonet and wire cutter sheath I use that for campsite work, the other is my AG Russell Sting 1 A replica made by CRKT as a back up in my BOB.

<< 1   >>

join