It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Earth been growing?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Thats could be true but thats not growth, thats expanding and contracting. The mass of the earth is still the same. Once the mass changes then we could consider that the earth is growing

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Looks like the Earth has stretch marks. I wonder when she's due? The simplest answer is usually the correct one. Theories are just educated guesses so in that case this theory is just as valid.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Thats could be true but thats not growth, thats expanding and contracting. The mass of the earth is still the same. Once the mass changes then we could consider that the earth is growing

You have to take into account time. When was the Earths mass discovered? You then realize our views are based on a short time scale. We can not wrap our head around millions of years. How can we say the Earths mass is still the same based on the time scales? Lasers today could be used in space to gauge the growth of Earth but the timescale needed would be very long. The Earth might expand or grow an inch a year and that would be measurable. I expect it's expanding less then that. I do believe it could be measured.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cloakndagger

Thats a good point but why hasnt it been measured before? Im sure this concept has been around for a while. Say that youre righ, what exactly is growing, is it rock, air, gasses etc?

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Water on Earth came from comets.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This is a very interesting theory. It may well explain the universal concept of a worldwide flood spoken of in the Bible and in virtually every other ancient culture throughout the earth. Perhaps the expansion events occur rapidly. This suggests nothing about how long such things take. I'd like to understand the physics behind the expansion however. What makes planets get bigger if this theory is correct?

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cloakndagger

Pop goes the balloon
Out comes another moon

HMMM. Maybe there is something to this expansion/contraction idea. A contraction of substantial size would cause a great flood for many areas. Could also form mountains. Maybe uplift is just a new fit?

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think that rather than growing it has been expanding... kinda like my waist line... sigh!

DJ I like ya man but you really got to change your avatar that poor fellow looks like he either has a bad case of gas or a serious acid reflux problem or both.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
There is more info on this in a multi-part radio interview on youtube.

Adams covers some very interesting topics, relating to questions raised here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join