It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A huge devastating solar storm when? You guessed it: 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Found this on Nasa's website:

science.nasa.gov...

Like most experts in the field, Hathaway has confidence in the conveyor belt model and agrees with Dikpati that the next solar maximum should be a doozy. But he disagrees with one point. Dikpati's forecast puts Solar Max at 2012. Hathaway believes it will arrive sooner, in 2010 or 2011.

The end of the world?

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm no scientist, but from what i've read in that report, it may have adverse effects on the electronics around the globe, but it doesn't look as if it will be a 2012 world ending event. If the same "solar maximum" occured in '58, then how come we're still here?

Even if it is more powerful, I would think that the best course of action would be to keep out of the sun for the week or so that it is here. I don't think it will kill us, more than just give us a good show.

Just my thoughts,

King.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gopher mines
The end of the world?

Well with the Second Rising, extraterrestrial invasion/arrival, ascension to a higher plane of existance etc 2012 is going to be one hell of a year!

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It will be a lot like 2007. Only maybe more boring.

Nothing will rise, no-one will arrive, there won't be any ascension. It might be a little cooler - the mean temperature tends to be inversely related to the solar max - right now we're at the low point in the cycle.

The Mayans couldn't predict their own demise. They never progressed past some really neat stonework, and a nice basketball-like game that involved ripping people's hearts out for the half-time program.

The Solar Max is a normal cycle. It's happened forever. It's a sunspot cycle. There was one in 2001. There was one in 1989. Did you even notice?

It's going to be like "Planet X" or the killer black mold, or the death by CME, or the "killshot" that's really next year, not this one, on and on. No one looks back and says "Wow, that really didn't happen. These guys have never ending TEOTWAWKI scenarios but somehow they never come to pass."

How many more "cosmic harmonic convergences" or planetary alignments that are sure to cause the crust to come off - but somehow don't - do you need?

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It happens every 8 years, the sun basicaly flips its poles just so happpens the next one is in 2012. Personaly i dont buy into that, though it is a bit curious all the same and well, the Suns pretty unprictable it doesnt really take that much for solar activity to wreak havoc on our planet. Numerous blackouts all over the world have been attributed to sun storms, i wonder what a really big one would do, chances are itd knock out a fair amount of sattelites effectively stoping time as it were.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Mr Jihad]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
let's see, they can't tell me the weather this weekend with any accuracy whatsoever but they can pinpoint a devastating solar storm in the year 2012?

let's see, where's that shelf in my mind? there it is, waaay in the back, let me store this one with the asteroid in 2036, the tidal waves and tsunamis from some moth in timbuktu, the killer comet, etc.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
There are some great solar max websites though.

Here's one with a really nice plot of them since the 1700's:

www.windows.ucar.edu...=/sun/activity/solar_cycle.html&edu=mid

Mod Edit: Truncated Link Of Great Length

[edit on 21/3/2007 by Mirthful Me]

Yeah, that link was a whopper. I tried trimming it down but couldn't find a way to get it to the right page. I guess I need to start using TinyURLs.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Interesting find.

2012 will be one hell of a year? Woo hoo, party time... I wonder what the situation of the middle east, NWO, USA, etc, will be by then.

mod edit: removed quote of previous post.
Quoting Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
2012 is nothing more than the latest in a line of dates arbitrarily chosen by armageddonists to look FORWARD to. The solar magnetic pole reversal due in 2012 is accurate as far as scientific predictions go, but it will have little effect on our way of life.

Even when we do get powerful solar storms, it isn't enough to make most of the people in the world look up from their daily lives. Some communications lost, animals that migrate may have difficulty with navigation, things like that. We're not migratory animals, however, and this just won't change anything for us.

By the way, the Mayan calendar has been hijacked by end of the world enthusiasts. The Long Count Calendar says nothing about the world ending or being destroyed in 2012, and you won't find any authentic mayan writings that suggest it either.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I always in fact believed 2012 does in fact have relevance, did I ever believe it meant the end of the world? No, and not everyone does...not everyone said anything about 2012 being a bad time or end game....forget the years, it is without question, big changes are coming...if NASA estimates a huge solar storm will happen, maybe it will, maybe we'll all be nuked before that, or maybe a magnetic pole shift will happen changing our electrical brains or thoughts...either way the proactive way to look at it is, change is coming for the good or bad......

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
2012 is not the end of the world, just the end of the world as you know it now.

Its not just the Mayans who pointed to 2012. Go into the Amazon and find your a shaman, and he will tell you the same thing (2012).

I find it funny how people believe in the NWO and the Illuminati etc, yet dismiss the idea of 2012..

Did it ever occur to anyone that the NWO mite actually be a response to 2012?..

Has anyone here ever heard of the Cross of hendaye?...If you haven't, i suggest you get'a readin!

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DIABOLIC...if NASA estimates a huge solar storm will happen, maybe it will, maybe we'll all be nuked before that, or maybe a magnetic pole shift will happen changing our electrical brains or thoughts...either way the proactive way to look at it is, change is coming for the good or bad......

The thing is, it's a non-issue. It's most likely happened several times during YOUR lifetime..did you notice? It's happened three times during MINE, no big deal.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
2012 is not the end of the world, just the end of the world as you know it now.

Its not just the Mayans who pointed to 2012. Go into the Amazon and find your a shaman, and he will tell you the same thing (2012).

Go into the Amazon, find a shaman, and ask him to give you the fields definition of 'curl'. Ask him to solve some partial differential equations. Ask him for the lottery numbers in the Florida lottery (please). Ask him why he didn't know the white men were coming to take his land. Ask him how many fingers you're holding up behind your back.

Why would I give a shaman any more credence than, say, the guy at the minit mart selling beer? The Mayans don't seem like a shining example of an advanced civilization to me.

Doodly-squat will happen in 2012 out of the norm.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Although this probably really doesn't have much to do with it, I thought this was kinda funny, as I read this article on CNN immediately after reading this thread.

www.cnn.com...

Ethanol the answer, auto execs tell Bush, and promise that half of their fleet could be ethanol ready by the year 2012.

Perhaps we'll be needing all the fuel efficiency we can get IF something does happen that year.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chaoticar
Well with the Second Rising, extraterrestrial invasion/arrival, ascension to a higher plane of existance etc 2012 is going to be one hell of a year!

I guess some of you missed the original intention of my post:Sarcasm.

I'm tired of the 'Jesus is coming', 'Meteor Strike!', 'Societal collapse', 'Reality shift', 'Alien arrival' etc theories whose only 'credence' is a dead civilisation's belief that the 'world' (or at least the one they knew) would end on 2012, or that an obscure scientifc website THEORISES that 'something big' is gonna happen in, you guessed it, 2012.

Remember the 'Malthusian Catastrophe' that was supposed to happen from the '70s to 2000? Or that robots were expected to fill all jobs, resulting in a human society devoted to hedonistic pursuits and ultimately a robotic rebellion?

And for those of you that say 'well the Amazon jungle tribes/Ancient Egyptians/Atlanteans/Microsoft employees also believe that the world will end in 2012' what about Ragnorak?

Maybe that's going to happen in 2012. I mean, if a dead civilisation believes it, it HAS to be true.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chaoticar

I guess some of you missed the original intention of my post:Sarcasm.

Maybe that's going to happen in 2012. I mean, if a dead civilisation believes it, it HAS to be true.

Sometimes in P&P it's hard to tell what's sarcasm and what's not. Looks like we're in full agreement on the endless TEOTWAWKI.

I'm still waiting on Planet X to swoop through the Solar system, crushing all before it.

top topics

join