It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Army's Paladin's fielded with new munitions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
www.army.mil...

Hey check out the link above it says the M109A6 Paladin has two new munitions charges they have just started using increasing range and accuracy-lethality while implementing cost saving measures. Ive been wondering how this platform was gonna be kept viable and this is a good sign. The most advanced mobile gun platform the Army says but time will tell and their getting older.
I wonder about their new Excalibur munition due out soon particulary and wonder what other Crusader advancements will/have be fitted.
Gratitus links with tons of info above and below and an awsome pic.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.fas.org...
www.army-technology.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
here's a vid i found of the M109A6 Paladin Self Propelled Howitzer

this second vid describes the XM982 Excalibur 155mm Precision Guided Extended Range Artillery

one question, is it possible for the excalibur round to hit a target that's located at the bottom of a cliff by coming in at a slightly different trajectory?

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Well luckily for the Paladin the Crusaders were finally cancelled.
A great program but hugely over budget and grossly late too become a fully working model. I
m pleased though that a lot of the guidance and ammuntions developed for the ill fated Crusader are being retro fitted to the M109's. They are quite a sight when standing near one btw.
Cool vids above btw.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
If this is the same rounds showcased on Future weapons its most impressive. On the show they shot the round on purpose off trajectory and the round was able to correct its course mid-flight and land on target non the less

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
If this is the same rounds showcased on Future weapons its most impressive. On the show they shot the round on purpose off trajectory and the round was able to correct its course mid-flight and land on target non the less

Yep thats it. I just watched a show on the military channel showing the same thing. Yeah they fired it either 40 degrees off target or 4 miles Im not sure but the munition guided itself onto target and quite impressively.
Smart shells are definately here I believe.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yup that was the same show I saw VType
Amazing tech when you consider the small size and G forces it had to be designed around.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by VType
Well luckily for the Paladin the Crusaders were finally cancelled.

Yeah but the NLOS-C program is still going ahead and it looks to be 'better' than the Crusader, if it enters production it will replace the aging Paladin.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by WestPoint23]

new topics

top topics

join