It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will colonizing other planets become a big issue with the Abrahimic faiths?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I like the Warhammer 40K analogy. If extremist elements became the dominant religion on earth in era of space colonization, imagine the Crusades and Inquisition taking place at a interplanetary level and you have Warhammer 40K.

I could even see those persecuted by the fundamentalist world government leaving earth for offworld colonies. You might be able to compare it to the Jewish Diaspora, Puritan or Mormon migration except it would be to offworld colonies.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by newtron25
I understand religious dogma generally gets in the way of research and development, but that doesn't mean those scientists aren't believers.

i was trying to say that the degreed personnel, professionals,
would be intensly focused on the operations of a contained environment

and wouldn't have the time or desire to engage in religious philosophies
...note that i closed that thought with the stance that:
If the station personnel wanted religion services, they could get a virtual Service (in their particular faith) to view on their off duty time!
~or something to that effect~

i tried to not say that the off worlders would be;
a-religious, agnostic, or non-religious

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Interesting, jj. I haven't thought about it like that.

This could very well be open to the interpretation that if most or all of mankind moves to another planet, that the destruction is to occur on the new planet, rather than Earth.

Are there any texts that specifically mentions "Earth" as the chosen planet, by chance?

Actually yes. Revelations teaches that all of mankind will move to a new planet after the thousand year reign of Christ. Here is the verse in chapter 21.

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

To me a new heaven means that we are in a different part of the galaxy or maybe in another galaxy to make all the stars different. We'll be on a new earth that will have markedly different geological characteristics since there will be no oceans there. Also there is nothing specifically in Revelations to suggest that there will not be any off world colonies, or to even suggest that mankind hasn't already been offworld in times past or in the present through quasi-private corporations. I personally believe that pre-flood civilizations were considerably more advanced than our own. All we know is that the earth will be subjugated under the tyrranical rule of an evil demon possessed man, very similar to Hitler no doubt.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I read an article earlier, and I thought I'd post it in this thread, since it
has to do with Islam and space.

Officials have previously said an Islamic code of conduct in space is necessary because few Muslims have embarked on such expeditions, and there have been no standardized guidelines for them.

Those in space during the holy fasting month of Ramadan -- when Muslims are required to go without food or water from sunrise to sunset -- can choose to fast then or to make up for it when they return, the booklet says.

The first Malaysian astronaut's stint will likely overlap with Ramadan, which starts in mid-September this year.

If Muslim astronauts doubt whether a meal is halal, or prepared according to Islamic rules, they "should consume it only to the extent of restraining hunger,'' the guidelines say.

The astronaut must be dressed decently whenever in public view, which involves covering at least the portion of the body between the navel and the knees for men. Both of the finalists for Malaysia's first astronaut are males.

Maintaining Islamic beliefs "is mandatory for Muslims in every situation, time and place,'' Mustafa Abdul Rahman, who heads Malaysia's state-run Department of Islamic Development, said in the guidelines.

Space.com

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Is it safe to say that the current land of Israel is not the one the Bible tells of as taking part on Judgment day/Armageddon? Is this new land, actually a new planet, or land mass on the new planet?

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
All I hope is that when we colonize our first planet we don't bring religion with us..

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well, coming from the Mormon point of view, there is nothing in our religion that says one way or the other whether we will colonize other planets or not, at least that I know of. It is, however, strongly implied that the Second Coming is coming "soon", although no time frame is specified.

My personal belief is that the Second Coming will occur before we have a chance to colonize offworld in any numbers, maybe a moon base or Mars base or something, but certainly nothing like Star Trek where we are all over the galaxy.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Well there will be no place to hide in the entire universe from God when he comes to wrap things up. So it wont matter if people are on Mars or not. Actually I think humans made it to Mars before Noah's flood. They were drowned on Mars in the flood as well as on Earth. But that's just my theory.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
As if religious people will have their word to say when it happens
they can cry all they like about technology being satanic if they want to.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It says in the bible that the house of the lord has many mansions for many people so as far as Christianity goes there are already people outside of earth living on different planets. I have been asking the same question to myself.

what would happen on revelation day when there are other people colonizing a different planet?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMessiah

You're kidding right?

I'll bet there will be plenty who are so tired of being told they can't live their faith that they'll be forming up just like the Pilgrims of old did to take off and colonize their own worlds away from everyone who tells them they can't do this or live that way.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkSide
All I hope is that when we colonize our first planet we don't bring religion with us..

And here I am hoping we don't have to bring up the atheists!

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What specifically would Christians have a problem with colonizing other worlds? I don't see anywhere in the Bible forbidding it.

I wouldn't get too caught up in your whimsical "what if" scenarios of no humans being left living on planet Earth and all living on other worlds.

One scenario that has been tried already once before (and will be tried again I'm sure) is the genetic modification of humans. Read the story of the Flood. Only Noah and his family was "pure". Then read current news stories about modifying our genes to make us live longer, or uploading our "consciousness" into computers and living forever.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join