It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

!?!?!Is it possible!?!?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is way outta my knowledge "RANGE" if you will. Yet, when I was a kid we would always do things just as rock the pool or see if we could get everyone in the pool to run around in a circle as fast as they coujld creating a SUCTION towards the center of the pool and almost creating a lazy river .. Sort of like the ones at the water parks. Anyways,

Is it possible that the egyptians back in the day had rivers that they dug themseleves almost like the trenches they dug for Farming also for building buildings. They had to have readily access to water to create such things as the Pyramids and Sphinx's or what not .. is it possibly that they could make a Man-Mad River run which ever direction they deemed necisary ???

By having large groups of people run in the water a certain way ... if you had enough of them makes sense with a gradual slope you could possibly get the water to slow UP HILL ??? is this possibly ??

(mod edit all CAPS title)

[edit on 20-3-2007 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
hhmmmm....interesting theory, but I do believe that gravity would always be the stronger of the 2 forces gravity vs. manpower

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_BrandonIs it possible that the egyptians back in the day had rivers that they dug themseleves almost like the trenches they dug for Farming also for building buildings.

Yes, they dug irrigation ditches. Irrigation farming is a very ancient technique.

They had to have readily access to water to create such things as the Pyramids and Sphinx's or what not .. is it possibly that they could make a Man-Mad River run which ever direction they deemed necisary ???

No need to do that. Giza is located on a plateau on the banks of the Nile. The sphynx is simply a large lump of rock that was already there that was carved into shape. They didn't have to bring the stone very far from the docks (which are there at the edge of the river) to the building site.

Or did you mean the other 100 pyramids?

By having large groups of people run in the water a certain way ... if you had enough of them makes sense with a gradual slope you could possibly get the water to slow UP HILL ??? is this possibly ??

Nope. You need locks to stop it from going downhill. Try it for yourself.

[edit on 20-3-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I have always thought about trying it for myself but, I don't have lets say eh .... million SLAVES that I say something and they all go running doing it because if they don't they might not possibly get fed that night or what not... imagine the CONTROL the PHAROAH had ... on these people ... .... ????? If you had a slope of say ... 5 Degrees you would need a whole hell of alot of people .. But hey back then you had it ... and what else ... Would you have to do with your time ??? If that were possible or used in any way ... Do you know how much diasease that would spread and how fast .. ?!??!! Could inihalate a whole civilization pretty quickly. Hence the reason for loss of KNOWLEDGE .. Hmmmmmm ??

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
I have always thought about trying it for myself but, I don't have lets say eh .... million SLAVES that I say something and they all go running doing it because if they don't they might not possibly get fed that night or what not... imagine the CONTROL the PHAROAH had ... on these people ... .... ?????

Heodotus was quoted 100,000 workmen when he asked about 2000 years after the pyramids were built, modern estimated state that the actual number was around 8000- 10,000 and it took 23 years
none of them were slaves.
slaves aren't highly skilled at quarrying and shaping stone.

If you had a slope of say ... 5 Degrees you would need a whole hell of alot of people .. But hey back then you had it ... and what else ... Would you have to do with your time ??? If that were possible or used in any way ... Do you know how much diasease that would spread and how fast .. ?!??!! Could inihalate a whole civilization pretty quickly. Hence the reason for loss of KNOWLEDGE .. Hmmmmmm ??

Brandon although your idea may make sense to you it is i'm afraid rubbish
heres why
because the AE left pictures like this

and artifacts like this

get the picture ?
Like Byrd said
the quarry was less than two miles away
the building site was on the edge of the nile which connected the quarry to it
and the egyptians had an amazing invention called a barge that they were known to have utilised during the pyramid building era
and as for a loss of knowledge
there simply wasn't one
there are actually over 100 pyramids in Egypt, many of which are relatively unknown to anyone who is not an ancient Egypt enthusiast. All but a very few are grouped around and near the City of Cairo, just south of the Nile Delta. Otherwise, only one royal pyramid is known in southern Egypt (at Abydos), that being the one built by Ahmose, founder of the 18th Dynasty and Egypt's New Kingdom. It may have also been the last royal pyramid built in Egypt.
first pyramid 2650bce
18th dynasty 1400bce
pyramid age 1250 years

after this they built palaces instead and hid their bodies in tombs carved out of the rock which were easier to hide from tomb robbers
you've been reading the wrong books I'm afraid

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Marduk]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

.... million SLAVES that I say something and they all go running doing it because if they don't they might not possibly get fed that night or what not... imagine the CONTROL the PHAROAH had ... on these people ... .... ?????

BUT...ultimately it is a crippling insecurity - not TRUE power. True empowerment comes through LEADING by example rather than control, tyranny, or even rulership.

The opportunity to implement irrigation in the desert is definitely a plus - as well as a slight grade.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

Like Byrd said
the quarry was less than two miles away
the building site was on the edge of the nile which connected the quarry to it
and the egyptians had an amazing invention called a barge that they were known to have utilised during the pyramid building era

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Marduk]

The local limestones is one matter, but just how did they get some of that red granite there for the inner chambers?

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
[The local limestones is one matter, but just how did they get some of that red granite there for the inner chambers?

Brought in on barges, hauled on sleds to the pyramid. There's heiroglyphic records of them receiving boatloads of stone (they had "paperwork" back then, just like we do.)

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I have always thought about trying it for myself but, I don't have lets say eh .... million SLAVES that I say something and they all go running doing it because if they don't they might not possibly get fed that night or what not...

You might enjoy doing a bit more reading about ancient Egypt. In fact, they had very few slaves. The pyramids were built by farmers and craftsmen, and there were only a few thousand of them.

If you had a slope of say ... 5 Degrees you would need a whole hell of alot of people

Not really. I think you underestimate human muscle power and ox muscle power.

Do you know how much diasease that would spread and how fast .. ?!??!!

Actually, yes, I do. I took a medical school course on Epidemiology and I did some modeling of data for my first Masters' degree. And yes, I'm familiar with some ancient epidemics.

You may not be as aware of these issues. You can find out about them by reading about the history of diseases.

Hence the reason for loss of KNOWLEDGE .. Hmmmmmm ??

By then they were literate and were writing books and lessons and a lot of stuff, so there's no real loss of knowledge.

It was religion that caused the greatest loss of knowledge, when scientific discoveries were suppressed because they conflicted with the religion's holy book.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Interesting theory. I think the Aztec Pyramids at the Sun/Moon complex in Tenochitlan (sp) or Teotejican(sp, again) had sluices that diverted the river running through the complex, but I don't think that they were doing it for anything other than athstetics and to maybe divert the river a little to dry up some land so that it would make a better structural foundation.

The egyptian pyramids were probably built by good old fashioned hard labor and elb grease. It would probably have been a bigger project to divert a river to run up hill and deliver stones or what ever to the building sight. Not very cost effective with manpower, resources nor time. It is an interesting theory that they developed a system to control the river absolutely to regulate the population and punish the people. The only problem with that is that all of their stuff was built off the nile. And you would be punishing your own people too, along with a lot of aristocrates that would be none to happy about it.

I know that the egyptians did build dams and stuff to help regulate the river so that it would flow more consitantly, but that was done to ensure that the egyptian civilization would be able to survive, not as a tool to enslave others.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Water can (technally) flow up hill.

I know this is slightly off topic, but here is my (crude) diagram showing how using the ciphen effect.

But you would not be able to draw any water off in the uphill section as that would allow air into the system, and ruin the effect. The exit to the system must be below the beggining of the uphill section and the system has to be air tight to work. Also it will run itself indefently as long as the resovior is suffecient.

Getting the system started might be a bit of a headache tho

Edit to note: also the red section HAS to be enclosed, the other areas need not be.

[edit on 21/3/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
But totally impractical - I would think such a configuration would eventually negate the benefits of irrigation. There are other ways to move water in the desert; irrigation is tops because it requires the least effort/manpower/action.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Another way to make water go uphill is to control rain. Water only rises naturally in gas form.

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I saw a show on (Pecal?) and the Mayans, and they managed to 'pump' water uphill into the palaces by increasingly constricting water canals beneath the city, causing an increase in pressure, which would propel the water uphill. It was actually an interesting watch, and was on just recently.

So essentialy, gravity is the only power needed to force water uphill.

:edit: another interesting tidbit, Pecal and his city, built their city without math.
No measurement standard. Simply, circle and square.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by nextguyinline]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline

So essentialy, gravity is the only power needed to force water uphill.

Don't see how, momentum can carry water over an obstacle. That would detract a certain amount of potential energy from the water.

In order to raise water, there has to be an input of energy.

I think this is all Thermodynamics Wiki on Thermodynamics

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Momentum doesn't push the water uphill, the pressure does. Besides, I'm just parroting the show. If the pressure remains constant, as I assume it would with a flowing water source, and it is greater than gravity, then I assume there is nothing to stop the water from going up.

:edit: I would relate it to pressure spout on a hose.
:edit2: No heat involved in this.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be easier to start the slope from the river and use a water wheel driven by oxen to bail the water? Seems rather more simple and efficient than having men go around in circles in a pool, although that would be kind of funny to watch.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isthistaken
Wouldn't it be easier to start the slope from the river and use a water wheel driven by oxen to bail the water? Seems rather more simple and efficient than having men go around in circles in a pool, although that would be kind of funny to watch.

It'd be faster to hitch 4-6 oxen to the block and have them haul it up the ramp.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I now know 100 times more about this than previous to me posting this thread. Thanks GUYS/GALS .... Water is one of the most mysterious substances on earth. And it truly INTRIGUES me ... I think there are secrets to water that we have not yet tapped into ... hence the reason for this thread thanks for all the input

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Water is one of the most mysterious substances on earth

no
thats femininity
well at least to men it is

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join